love

Author Topic: Summer Film School is in Session  (Read 5236 times)

jensuch

• That's just, like, your opinion, man.
Summer Film School is in Session
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
I know it's not summertime yet, but I'm a teacher with no patience for May, so we're getting this thing going early.  I love contemporary/indie cinema, but am constantly shamed by the "classics" I haven't seen.  I'm going to try to hit a wide swath this summer--think Bergman, Kurosawa, Scorcese, etc...  Main resources are Hulu Plus (with most of the Criterion Collection) and Netflix streaming, although the public library could help, too. 

So far I've recently covered:
1. Blue, White, Red
2. The Long Goodbye
3. His Girl Friday
4. In the Mood for Love
5. Mulholland Drive

Yeah, 4 and 5 aren't "classics", but they were getting a lot of love in the recent Pantheon discussion.  And I've seen other classics, just not recently, so they're not included in the Summer Film School accomplishments. 

Directors or films I should cover?  I'll keep track of other accomplishments as the days lengthen. 

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Summer Film School is in Session
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »
Look into Masaki Kobayashi. He's incredible and I believe his entire filmography is on Hulu+.

Also Francois Truffaut, who also has a lot of titles on Hulu+. The Antoine Doinel series makes for an excellent marathon.

jensuch

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Thanks!  I've seen The 400 Blows, but none of the following films.  I'll check them out.

valmz

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 03:20:56 AM »
What are you most interested in? Plot or atmosphere? Characters or compositions? Intellectual or emotional? Realistic or abstract? Sincere or ironic? Finely tuned or ground-breaking? Anything you gravitate most toward, or want to explore most? Do you want to find something that will resonate with your tastes and disposition, or do you want to try something new and figure out what you can take away from it?

jensuch

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
Wow!  Lots of questions.  My favorite contemporary filmmakers are PTA, Charlie Kaufman, Gondry, Tarantino, Sofia Coppola.  I like New Hollywood and am thinking I'd like to go backward to some of their influences.  I'm more drawn to the emotional experience of a film, but also love when you can deconstruct the elements.  For example, The Piano is a nearly perfect film for me, because the story, the acting, the sound design, the setting, everything works together.  Text and subtext in perfect harmony. 

Aaaand, that probably barely answered your questions... 

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
Given what you've said above, I think you'd like/appreciate these:

Band of Outsiders
A Woman Under the Influence
Faces
An Angel At My Table
Charulata

I mostly recommend starting at the top of the They Shoot Pictures list and working your way down, at least through the first 100.  I don't like all those movies -- there are some I really hate -- but I think most of them are "important" in their influence and innovation.

jensuch

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  It's always good to  have a few solid lists to fall back on--both for moving forward and providing a sense of accomplishment. 

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
I'm so glad you made this thread jensuch! Deciding is half the battle.

george96

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
I would suggest the films of Roberto Rossellini.

valmz

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
Wow!  Lots of questions.  My favorite contemporary filmmakers are PTA, Charlie Kaufman, Gondry, Tarantino, Sofia Coppola.  I like New Hollywood and am thinking I'd like to go backward to some of their influences.  I'm more drawn to the emotional experience of a film, but also love when you can deconstruct the elements.  For example, The Piano is a nearly perfect film for me, because the story, the acting, the sound design, the setting, everything works together.  Text and subtext in perfect harmony. 

Aaaand, that probably barely answered your questions...
I was just trying to figure out which question to ask, really.

I was never that enthused with the New Hollywood crowd, so I never dipped too deep into their influences. I'm sure other folks around here will be able to steer you in the right direction better than I can.