Author Topic: Mini Mike Leigh Marathon  (Read 13502 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Mini Mike Leigh Marathon
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »
That's a good example. James Corden, Smithy, was in the stage version of The History Boys & Gavin (forgotten his real name) had already done seasons of the Catherine Tate Show. Not to mention La Steadman, and Julia Davis in a tiny role for someone who had her own show (& a part in Four Lions).

In this regard US Comedy and tv drama is miles ahead; huge casts of "jobbing" actors ( a lot of Brits as well- Hugh Laurie, Olivia Williams, West & Elba in The Wire), so you get Bryan Cranston say popping up all over the place in films; adding that touch of class to whatever he does even if its a bit part.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »
Thanks to what I've read on the forums, I'll probably pick up Topsy-Turvy and Secrets and Lies right away.  I'm hesitating about Vera Drake.

Regarding your hesitation: I think there's a lot to Vera Drake beyond the controversial subject of abortion.  I found it a wonderfully detailed look at a family's postwar life.  There are some similarities to Another Year in that this rather "ordinary" family stands out among neighbors, relations, and clients as a warm and kind oasis in a world of struggles and isolation. I think that's a trip worth going on.

You really can not go wrong, though, starting with Secrets and Lies. I'm due for a re-watching sometime soon.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 12:19:43 AM »
Alright, you guys, you convinced me.  I'll watch Vera Drake, and it will probably have to be soon before I forget your admonitions and my doubts return.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 01:33:16 PM »
Moving this up so I don't have to keep scrolling down to find it. Good reading. :)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
What's your next Leigh going to be?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
Sandy, there's also this Leigh Marathon that 1SO and I recently completed.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
Thanks Bondo! I've loved following along with your marathon. Hope you and 1SO work together again.

What's your next Leigh going to be?

Ah, there's my quandary. I'm really quite fascinated by Leigh's use of actors' input to develop characters, but since I'm pretty much a PG/PG13 viewer (for cultural/spiritual/self-preservational reasons), it limits my access to his work. I'm fortunate to learn much from reviews, synopses, clips, blogs etc.  This all must seem like a very foreign approach to you, but hopefully it illustrates how much I appreciate the forum. And, I guess the beauty of all this is, I'll still never get to the end of my film viewing queue.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
Thanks Bondo! I've loved following along with your marathon. Hope you and 1SO work together again.

I'd say you can count on it.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »
I'll try to watch Topsy-Turvy with you.

pixote
I wish Netflix had this one.  :(
It's got it now.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love