Author Topic: Merry Music of May Group Marathon 2013  (Read 29682 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Merry Music of May Group Marathon 2013
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2013, 01:27:53 AM »
Carmen Jones
* * 1/2

Clearly I'm in one of those modes where I can't find much to say about a film. There's a lot about the history and uniqueness of this Otto Preminger film based on a Oscar Hammerstein Broadway Musical, featuring the music from the classic opera Carmen, an all black cast and starring Dorothy Dandridge, who was nominated for Best Actress. All of that is more interesting than the film itself, which doesn't stand out aside from all the things I mentioned. It's nothing as experimental or daring as Black Orpheus. In fact, it's one of the safest, most bland musicals I've seen. The vocal dubbing of Harry Belafonte is distracting. That's all I got.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2013, 03:09:02 AM »
An inquiry:

Especially in watching these two films back-to-back and having the same leading lady in both, I am clear about my preference of Astaire over Kelly.

Why? I ask myself.

Both are excellent dancers, and about the same ability in acting.  Kelly is probably the better singer.  Certainly they have different styles of dancing, with Kelly being more athletic and energetic, while Astaire is more suave and probably more versatile.   

I think it has more to do with the personas each of them present.  The form of acting school they represent is to find a charismatic character and stick with that persona, no matter what occupation or class change you go through.  But since all of these movies are essentially romantic comedies with music and dancing, I want my leading man to be attractive-- not physically, but in character.

Kelly's character has a certain naivete, but essentially he is a forceful person who thinks that his blind enthusiasm will get him what he wants (the girl).  In the end, that assumption puts me off.  I know that some girls go for that kind of guy, but he isn't attractive to me.  Or, more to the point, I wouldn't want my daughter marrying this kind of guy.  (Which will probably be my fate.)

Astaire is not only suave on the dance floor, he is also humble in persona.  He is more forward in his earlier films, but in his later films-- Daddy Long Legs and Funny Face, for example, he is thoughtful and concerned about his girl's place in society.  He is bold, but also kind.  Perhaps this has to do with his age (it certainly does in Daddy Long Legs),  but I find watching his antics and misunderstandings to simply be more comfortable, and thus more entertaining, to watch.

Well, and I find his dancing to simply be more expressive, and better suited to a partner.  Kelly is a brilliant dancer, but usually on his own.  Astaire is the perfect partner for a rom com musical, because he makes the woman look better by him dancing with her.  Now that's romantic.

I've been thinking about this tonight and there's so much to consider. Do I have to choose? I'll keep both! :D  I agree with what you've observed and I too like Gene's solo dancing best and Fred's couple dancing. But as I write that I think of the Crazy Veil dance in Singin' in the Rain and then I get all confused. They're so different, it's difficult to compare. One thing I really like about Gene is when his obnoxious, overbearing attitude, which is very prevalent in Anchors Aweigh, gets taken down a peg or two. The oh so humbled, oh so contrite Gene is pretty endearing. One of my favorite movie moments is when Gene overhears Judy Garland sing Friendly Star in the movie Summer Stock and all his bombast has dissipated, as it dawns on him that he's getting a rare glimpse into a woman's heart.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:20:16 AM by Sandy »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #192 on: May 26, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »
I have to admit, I've only seen Gene in three films, one of which he was in a supporting role (Young Girls of R).  I had personally made a choice between them, and I wondered why.  But I will certainly give Gene more of a chance.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #193 on: May 26, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
I had personally made a choice between them, and I wondered why.

:)

Because Fred Astaire is a beautiful person on the inside and the outside. He deserves your praise. I'm not sure there is a wrong answer to your inquiry.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
That was great, but how could you leave out Jean Claude Van Damme in Kickboxer?

Yolanda and the Thief
* * 1/2

You can look up all my Vincent Minnelli reviews and watch me transition from attacker to apologist. I still don't think I'd like Meet me in St. Louis much more, but perhaps The Band Wagon deserves a 2nd look. Here's a film where all kinds of things aren't working, but Minnelli almost gets me past it with his imaginative stagings and clever visual tricks.

I knew watching my final Astaire films would be varying degrees of dissatisfaction. Luckily, the problem has usually been the script. Astaire is always a delight and except for a moment in The Sky's the Limit, always delivers the goods on the dance floor. There are two major sequences here and while the dream ballet is drawn out in a way the similar on from An American in Paris isn't, (I couldn't figure out what things were supposed to represent), the big dance number at the end delights with colors, clapping, and a wavy dance floor. It was a nice note to go out on.

I try not to give a film credit for beauty, but redhead Lucille Bremer in splashy technicolor is supremely yummy. I wouldn't put her among Fred's best dance partners, but while the story dragged on she was quite lovely to look at. The comedy sidekick is mostly unfunny - the blame is in the writing - but there's a mysterious character named Mr. Candle whose ultimate purpose I liked a lot.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »

Gold Diggers of 1935

Another decent entry in the Broadway Melody/Gold Digger series. There's an over-the-top comedic performance by Frank McHugh that makes this a recommendation with reservation. He's like throwing Ace Ventura into Girl//Walk. The graces in the film are the always charming musical, romantic comedy skills of Dick Powell and the choreography and direction by Busby Berkeley. He works his magic with a bevy of chorus girls and 50 pianos that spin and dance around the stage. (Your eyes will pop). I also liked when he adapted his style to a hotel staff preparing the grounds in the morning. Mops, bar glasses and cufflinks all in perfect synchronization.
RATING: * * *

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
Linda Linda Linda

My daughters watch a lot of anime, and I want to know: Since when have Japanese schoolgirls taken over the world?  I mean, they're everywhere.  Or it seems so in our Nippophile household.

Cute and very Japanese.  Just to emphasize the Japanese, we have Son, a Korean girl. who is recruited to the nearly defunct band, to step on all the Japanese etiquette and to have every cultural misstep explained to (us) her.   

Ultimately, it is a schoolgirl's life.  A lot of mundane, some romantic tension, a desire to have talent recognized and sudden bursts of energy.  A lot of work for (maybe) nothing.  But from an outsider's perspective, it is adorable.  Yeah, and there are some very cool scenes in this film.  I'd list them out, but Martin already did that.

Kattycat watched the second half with me and she gives her approval-- 4/5 for the second half.   Sounds good to me.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:17 AM »
The rules of the musical universe by Cracked

:D

♩♩ I wish I could sit with them in that cafe yidle-diddle-didle-didle man. ♩♩