Author Topic: May 2013 MDC: Musicals  (Read 14181 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: May 2013 MDC: Musicals
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Tater0091 will be watching...

jensuch

• That's just, like, your opinion, man.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
PeacefulAnarchy is watching

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »
jensuch will be watching the very fun...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:26:02 PM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52:25 PM »
Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt (2004) 6/10
I'm sorry, I wish I had better things to say about this. Townes is certainly an interesting person and while I don't see what's so special about his music it's not bad and was certainly highly regarded by some. The documentary didn't do much to make me go beyond this superficial appreciation, though, and I think there are two main reasons. One is the editing: It's mostly talking heads and old footage, and while this can work if done right there's not much flow here. Despite following a mostly chronological order I often felt bogged down in anecdotes that felt random and unconnected. There were also a lot of people talking about what a great writer he was, but very little is done to actually make that come through. I suppose that wouldn't be a problem for a fan who already feels that way, but having never heard of him before I just never got the sense of a great musician from either the stories or the actual footage of him. The second issue I'll admit is mostly my own. While he certainly had some bad breaks in his life, it's mostly the story of a man pissing his talent and opportunities away through drugs and booze and while I can feel sorry for him that's just something I can't relate to in even the most superficial way. Maybe if we got a sense of personal pain and emotional turmoil that drove him to it I could find a thread to connect, but, at least as depicted in the film, it seems mostly to be irresponsibility and lack of concern about the future, his life or those around him. So as a whole there just wasn't a point of contact for the film to resonate with me. It's not bad, just not for me.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
ElDog will be watching The Red Shoes

jensuch

• That's just, like, your opinion, man.
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
PeacefulAnarchy, sorry you didn't like it!  I feel like I've failed at my first MDC.  I saw Be Here to Love Me about 7 years ago and just remember being struck by the combination of tragedy and talent, but I was already vaguely familiar w/his music.  Oh, well.  There's always next time. 

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Don't worry about it. While I didn't particularly like it I didn't dislike it either and it did keep my attention all the way through. Not everything can be a hit.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »
There is no such thing as "failing" at MDC.  No matter what, we explore cinema that we otherwise might not.  That is always a good thing.

(Unless it's Salo)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
Just don't dislike Seven Brides for Seven Brothers :D Just kidding, kind of, not really, but seriously, it'll be okay if you don't, maybe, well probably, yea it will be, I promise.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
There is no such thing as "failing" at MDC. 

What if you never receive your dictation.  :(
(Is Eldog still with us?)