6 (14%)
Letterboxd
24 (55.8%)
MUBI
1 (2.3%)
I know something even better
7 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Which Internet Cataloging Site is the Best?  (Read 15584 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Which Internet Cataloging Site is the Best?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
Ah I get that, I've felt that way about things myself.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Because it has features I'll never use. I want just what I will actually use, nothing more.
I don't understand. This only makes sense to me when the extra features make the interface more convoluted and obscure the things you do want to use, but I don't find that to be the case with criticker at all.

My choice is criticker all the way. I love ICM and use it just as much, but everything on ICM could be done on criticker more easily than having criticker's functionality done on ICM.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
iCM lets me add new movies with only an imdb link. Criticker makes me fill out a whole profile for the film. Ergo, iCM>Criticker.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
I use all of them, because I want to die.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »
iCM lets me add new movies with only an imdb link. Criticker makes me fill out a whole profile for the film. Ergo, iCM>Criticker.

This is the biggest drawback of Criticker.  It's really annoying, especially when you watch a good number of obscure movies.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
ICM the the one that best encourages me to make a list of films.  It could be that I was just determined to do it at the time I joined, but it's a good listmaker, and my primary source for keeping track of what I've watched.

However, Letterboxd encourages me to write.  It doesn't just give me an opportunity to, but it actually sets up its system that gets me to give a one or two paragraph review, which I've not done as much of in the past.

The essential list for me is ICM, but encouraging me to write is great.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »

This is the biggest drawback of Criticker.  It's really annoying, especially when you watch a good number of obscure movies.
It's only title, imdb link, description and image. I only find it annoying for experimental films because writing descriptions for them is a pain. Otherwise it's just a couple of sentences about the premise.

I want to know who picked "I know something even better" and what that mystery site is.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »
However, Letterboxd encourages me to write.  It doesn't just give me an opportunity to, but it actually sets up its system that gets me to give a one or two paragraph review, which I've not done as much of in the past.

This is my answer as well. Letterboxd is an ideal version of the Write About the Last Movie You Watched thread, except its open to the whole Internet instead of just this forum. Often I'll go to letterboxd to write a quick couple of sentences about te movie I watche the night before, and I'll end up writing a whole blog entry by accident.

Plus, unlike the thread here, it's possible to just like someone's review without having to respond. Lets you know people are actually reading and enjoying what you do, sometimes.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:11 PM »
Plus, unlike the thread here, it's possible to just like someone's review without having to respond. Lets you know people are actually reading and enjoying what you do, sometimes.

I've often wanted to "like" many people's thoughts here, to let them know that, while I have nothing to add, I read and appreciated their thoughts.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
That would be a great feature. :)

love