Author Topic: This Is the End  (Read 2593 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: This Is the End
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
I smiled at the Rosemary's Baby reference, but I don't know how many others got it.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »

TedDanson

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »
What I thought was, putting Channing Tatum on worst role was a dumb thing to do and I can't believe how did he accept that role.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 03:16:07 AM »
What I thought was, putting Channing Tatum on worst role was a dumb thing to do and I can't believe how did he accept that role.

Lol have you seen G.I. Joe (mentioned in the film) or Fighting those were way worse.  Tatum is just making fun of himself of how he's typically portrayed as this tough badass, but in real life is just as weak, if not weaker, than the other guys in the film.  Overall, pretty much what I expected from these guys and I really lol'd at how they were basically making fun of themselves.  How could you not like Emma Watson?  "He's basically a hipster right?" "Life is like a box of chocolates, no?"  And the rape joke scene was hilarious without being overly insulting toward women, particularly because she robbed and made them look like the weak men they were portraying themselves as.  The hatred between McBride and Franco is so hilarious, but the Jonah Hill/Jay Baruchel feud does come off as a little silly.  I guess it's mostly because I think Hill plays up the sweet/metrosexual/nice guy character up too much.  But the demon rape scene was pretty hilarious, one of my buddies said an older couple got up and walked out during that scene at a theater in florida lol.  This film is definitely meant for the stoner crowd, but it has it's moments and for the McBride fans it's exactly what you come to expect from Kenny Powers (especially the I made jizz in your magazine part lol). 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
I didn't like this at all. Having actors play fictionalised versions of themselves can be fine, for example The Trip, but to make it work you need to still spend a bit of time on character - making them sympathetic etc etc. I thought This Is The End entirely sidestepped this by just throwing famous people at the screen and assuming the audience would care about them because... well, because they're famous people! And who doesn't love famous people? They're simply better and more important than everybody else.  Some of the jokes were funny, but on the whole they were largely completely incidental to the film. I came away thinking this was only a couple of steps up from Scary Movie 3, or something like that.

It irks me slightly that this did better business overall than The World's End, which is a far better film. Didn't Seth Rogan work with Simon Pegg whilst TWE was in the works?....

just sayin'.

The special effects were cool, though. I'll give them that.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

love