Author Topic: The Ratings Project: What's Next  (Read 5029 times)

Antares

• Elite Member
  • . . . and the pump caught in my trouser leg.
Re: The Ratings Project: What's Next
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »
To be honest Chuck, you may want to wait until September like Pixote did when the original Ratings Project was done. I know I do a lot less film watching during the summer and subsequently, a lot less time spent on the forum. Starting in summer may disappoint you with the amount of participation from the community, if they're active, outside of film watching during the warmest time of the year. Just a thought to ponder.

Beep! Beep!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
Alternately, I don't care about warm weather and in September I have school starting up again. We've got quite a few students and teachers, so the summer is probably the best time to grab them.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
What kind of time frame do we need all our poll votes in by? Just want to pace myself

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »
Are we going to be voting on directors or on their films for the project?
Directors. Like the movies, you will have to rate your opinion of the Director's career on a scale of 1-10. You decide how much to weigh what they've done up till now and how much potential they have. We're starting with established directors, but I want to collect thoughts one filmmakers who have only made one film or you've only seen one film from.

To be honest Chuck, you may want to wait until September like Pixote did when the original Ratings Project was done. I know I do a lot less film watching during the summer and subsequently, a lot less time spent on the forum.
September, things start bumping into all the monthly Marathons.  I wanted to collect the data now and have some final results in August. You'll only need to check in once a week to rate the Directors, and I'll keep collecting Ratings until the last list has posted.

Starting in summer may disappoint you with the amount of participation from the community, if they're active, outside of film watching during the warmest time of the year.
My main reluctance is that I believe any group project now will have low participation compared to past projects. (I'm also paranoid enough to think some will abstain just because I'm the one putting it together.) My thought was that this is a project you don't have to do any research for. Your rating will be based on whatever you've seen up to this point. (My real first stumbling block is that Brad Bird will come up fairly early and Tomorrowland opens in just a few weeks, which could change people's ratings for him.)

What kind of time frame do we need all our poll votes in by? Just want to pace myself
I plan to stick to The pixote Method as much as possible, posting about 50 Directors every week. Our current list will take about 8 weeks to go through, plus I'll be building the additional directors who don't have a thread. When you see Hitchcock and Kubrick come up for a Rating, the voting will be coming to an end soon after.

Based on my answers to the last 2 questions, it seems I should leave Music of May to continue putting the lists together, taking advice, answering questions and asking for help and start posting Directors on June 1.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
I'll participate in ratings, but probably won't bother with the director's polls/subforum.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
That's mainly to try and group everyone together fairly. What's important is that without your Ratings there'd be no point in make a Most Divisive Directors list.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
Directors. Like the movies, you will have to rate your opinion of the Director's career on a scale of 1-10. You decide how much to weigh what they've done up till now and how much potential they have. We're starting with established directors, but I want to collect thoughts one filmmakers who have only made one film or you've only seen one film from.
OK, that was my initial impression, but I wasn't sure. This is a cool idea.

I probably won't be able to participate regularly as I'll be traveling in June, but I'll try, otherwise I would have offered to help you with compiling results. Hopefully you'll allow people to vote for weeks they missed.

Antares

• Elite Member
  • . . . and the pump caught in my trouser leg.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
(I'm also paranoid enough to think some will abstain just because I'm the one putting it together.)

;)

Beep! Beep!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
I take everyone who leaves the forum as a personal betrayal.[/slight sarcasm]

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
Hopefully you'll allow people to vote for weeks they missed.
I will until I close the entire project.

Also, it should be stated that there are a LOT of obscure Directors. About 250 with threads that have less than 5 votes, so you could go away for a few weeks and hardly miss anything. The one drawback is combing through so many names on your return, you might glance right over one you do know.

love