Author Topic: The Ratings Project: What's Next  (Read 13120 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
The Ratings Project: What's Next
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
After next week, we'll have rated nearly every film that appeared on a ballot for last year's Top 100 — a total of 1,620 films. I'm wondering what we should do next.

My instinct is to focus first on turning the Top Ten Percent list into a Top 250 ... meaning we need another 880 films to rate. To figure out which films those would be, everyone could help curate the weekly lists with their own picks for films that deserve consideration for the Top 250 films of all time. Everyone could post lists of the Top 30 (or 60) films that haven't been a part of the project yet, and then each week I'd pick one or two of those lists for us all to rate — e.g., "Week 28: Selections from Sandy and smirnoff" ... :) We'd probably start with the project participants who've rated the fewest films and then go down the line to the people who've rated the most (since each week it will get harder and harder to name 30-60 films that are Top 250-worthy but haven't been rated previously).

Another option would be to turn our attention to a specific theme and build a Top 100 for that theme. We created a Top 100 Documentaries list a couple years back in similar fashion. We could revisit that. And Top 100 Horror Films has already been mentioned. We could also focus on an individual decade, individual years (1999, to tie in with the Retro Filmspots), or the filmographies of various directors (which could lead to a Top 100 Directors lists), etc.

These ideas aren't mutually exclusive, of course. We could move back and forth between them.

Thoughts?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: The Ratings Project: What's Next
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »
I think we should try to grab anything that appeared on the Top 100 Animation or Top 100 Documentary list (the only other film related top 100s Im aware of). I'm sure we've already done most of them.

Maybe grab the bracket films that haven't been done yet too?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »
Another category suggestion: Most Discussed films not yet rated... which is just the Spoiler threads sorted in order of most replies (with everything we've rated taken out).

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
Examples of some Top 250-worthy films I'd like to see rated:

All the Cats Join In
Great Expectations (1946)
All About Lily Chou-Chou
Three Days of the Condor
Mother Joan of the Angels
Searching for Bobby Fischer
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)
Django Unchained

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
Oh yeah, I was also thinking we should go through everything in the IMDb Top 250, the AFI Top 100, Sight & Sound, the TSDPT Top 250, etc.

Also, the films listed on the Top 100 lists from 2010 and 2011.

pixote
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:28:13 PM by pixote »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
"Week 28: Selections from Sandy and smirnoff" ... :)

:))

I'd love to see this list! In order to have stuff that wasn't already rated, we'd have to find those forgotten gems of 90's action films and costume dramas. What a combination!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:12:50 PM »
90s US Bracket and 00s (to duplicate the work we did a few years back on the Best of the 00s) might work but I wouldn't want to do 90s FE or 80s US bracket focuses because it would trod on the actual process of the bracket.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
"Week 28: Selections from Sandy and smirnoff" ... :)

I'd love to see this list! In order to have stuff that wasn't already rated, we'd have to find those forgotten gems of 90's action films and costume dramas. What a combination!

I dig it.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »
I like the idea of people nominating films, another source could be 1001 Movies to see be you die.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:29:39 PM »
I dig it.

Oh, what an epic concoction that list would be!

love