Author Topic: The Ratings Project: What's Next  (Read 13131 times)

valmz

Re: The Ratings Project: What's Next
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
I actually think the ratings project would be good for something quite different:

"Which films do you want to see? Rate 1-10"

Highest scoring films become the next communal watchlist. This doesn't ensure that any of them will be good, but at least it gives you some indication of intended participation.

Regarding the ratings project as it is, the outcome is far too swayed by dislike and by unfamiliarity to really generate a 'Top 250'. It would be a 'Popular and Uniformly Positive 250', but not necessarily the top.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »
The Ratings Project scoring system certainly reflects dislike more than other scoring systems (a good thing I'd argue...which is why metacritic is better than rotten tomatoes), but I think it brings in far more obscure films than the traditional systems that have been used here, which tend to favor the "Popular and Uniformly Positive" stuff you talk about.

valmz

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
The Ratings Project scoring system certainly reflects dislike more than other scoring systems (a good thing I'd argue...which is why metacritic is better than rotten tomatoes), but I think it brings in far more obscure films than the traditional systems that have been used here, which tend to favor the "Popular and Uniformly Positive" stuff you talk about.
All of the systems have their issues, for sure. It's very difficult to weed out popularity from something like this without giving all of the 2 vote films the top spots. There's already a top 10 percent, though, which is everything I think you need. I guess I can't really make heads or tails of why one film is higher than another on any of the 'Top Lists' around, though.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »
The Ratings Project is really different than the other lists for just the reason you mention, Bondo.  It does not surprise me that our annual Top 100 is quite different from the Ratings Project top 100.  And it says a lot for The General that it has so few negative ratings.

Pixote, I like your suggestion for continuing the project.  Keep it up!  This and the Top 100 Club are the best new things in the forum!  I'm excited to see it continue!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

My instinct is to focus first on turning the Top Ten Percent list into a Top 250 ... meaning we need another 880 films to rate.

One thing that we should do after we've rated this extra 880 (probably much less by now) is have another marathon similar to our March Madness one that was pretty successful. I think it'd be fun to see how much of the watchlist we could "clear" by taking two months or so off of new batches and focusing on the hidden gems that this project brings out of hiding. 

KasperL

• letterboxd.com/KasperL & fb.com/favoritefilms
    • Criticker
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:08 AM »
What's next, Pixote?

Science fiction, perhaps?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Ratings Project: What's Next
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »
If you haven't done so already, cast your votes in the Directors sub-forum. It's going to be important.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
ANNOUNCEMENT: The Ratings Project: What's Next
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »
This Summer, I am going to be running a Ratings Project for Directors. Unlike the main Ratings Project, this will be a snapshot of where these directors rise and fall right now. Once the data is collected, the Project will be over.

Initial grouping will be selected based on the level of participation each director has received in their Individual Thread. (The number of votes in their polls not counting 'Haven't Seen Any'.)
I plan to start with the newer Active directors, move into the Living Legends and then fade into the niche filmmakers.
After that I will switch to Obscure and Inactive building to the final group of legendary filmmakers who always seem to come out on top of projects like this. Once that is done, I'll compile a list of Directors who don't have a poll on the Boards yet.

I will admit my faults right up front. I will probably forget a name or accidentally place a retired person among the Active. (Right now I have Hayao Miyazaki among the Living Legends because I doubt he will be completely Inactive.) I'm sure to get some spelling wrong, especially in regards to Asian surnames. I'm also nervous about the math involved in calculating the score. If anyone would like to help with that PM me. I'd love the assist.

Those of you who are too new to remember The Ratings Project, it was the coolest thing ever back in 2012 and you can read the complete instructions here.

The first step is for you to answer as many Director Polls where you have an answer, while I compile the lists.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:21:41 AM by 1SO »

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Are we going to be voting on directors or on their films for the project?

love