Author Topic: The Ratings Project: What's Next  (Read 13141 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: The Ratings Project: What's Next
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2015, 05:05:06 AM »
Can someone explain this to me please, or point me to the post with the explanations ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2015, 05:16:12 AM »
Read the first post in THE RATINGS PROJECT thread.  Maybe that will help.
Texan Down Under

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2015, 05:54:31 AM »
So I read it and though I understand the general principle, I am still unclear as to what "phase" is about to start in June.

Also, is there still any use to vote on the previous Project Rating lists or are those votes closed ?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
First of all, The Ratings Project was started by pixote as a way to collect an aggregated opinion on Films. I am piggybacking that idea for a brief period this Summer to attempt to transfer pixote's method over to Directors. Unlike the main Ratings Project, this will be a snapshot of where these directors rise and fall right now. Once the data is collected, the Project will be over.

Initial grouping will be selected based on the level of participation each director has received in their Individual Thread. (The number of votes in their polls not counting 'Haven't Seen Any'.)

I will start with the Living Legends, move into newer Active directors and then fade into the niche filmmakers. After that I will switch to Obscure and Inactive building to the final group of legendary filmmakers who always seem to come out on top of projects like this. Once that is done, I'll compile a list of Directors who don't have a poll on the Boards yet.

I will admit my faults right up front. I will probably forget a name or accidentally place a retired person among the Active. (Right now I have Hayao Miyazaki among the Living Legends because I doubt he will be completely Inactive.) I'm sure to get some spelling wrong, especially in regards to Asian surnames.

As for the previous Project Ratings lists, the votes are not closed, but they are a couple of years out of date.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »
Great, I look forward to the start of the project then. And maybe I'll look into rating the movies of the original project, if their number doesn't end up frightening me.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »
Also, is there still any use to vote on the previous Project Rating lists or are those votes closed ?

Your voting would likely be my incentive to get back to work on that project.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 12:13:59 PM »
I was thinking of rating the movies in Excel to make the whole thing quicker. Would it help you if I sent you the spreadsheet directly ?

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2015, 05:16:15 AM »
Thanks for that extended explanation 1SO, I was also a bit confused.

Should be fun!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Hey guys, I made a thing.

And by a thing I mean a spreadsheet that tracks your ratings of the Ratings Project and gives you stats and suchlike. You can also order the entire list of movies you've rated however you like.
I created the Excel to make rating the 2000 plus movies easier and quicker. And since I am genetically unable to not make my life unnecessarily complicated, I added a bunch of formulas and graphs. I hope it will be useful to someone.

I'll probably keep on tweaking it, there are a couple of things I wasn't able to do -namely taking duplicate movies into account in two lists without counting them twice. I any of you have ideas, I accept requests. And you can of course fiddle with it yourselves if you're nerds Excel enthusiasts.

This may seem redundant to those of you who already review stuff on sites like IMDB that create their own statistics, but I thought I could be useful to have those numbers for the films in this project specifically.

Don't hesitate to fill it ; if I update it with further gimmicks you can just copy-paste your ratings. Also, it should be easier to update than your forum post lists if you ever feel the need.

PS : The sheet is programmed to work with out-of-ten ratings that may or may not use and-a-half points. I can make an out-of-twenty/100 or some other rating version if there is demand.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:43:07 AM by DarkeningHumour »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
There are a lot of useful tools in that spreadsheet once I get the hang of it.

Scaling my first 2 groups down to 40 Directors, since they will be the most popular names and right now I'm short on the obscure end. Let's just say there won't be an exact number in order to keep directors of similar popularity together.

love