Author Topic: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT  (Read 559375 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man

1. The Incredibles (#10 of All Time)
2. Toy Story (#17 of All Time)
3. Toy Story 2 (#25 of All Time)
4. Finding Nemo (#57 of All Time)
5. Toy Story 3 (#64 of All Time)
6. Ratatouille
7. Wall-E
8. Up
9. Monsters Inc.
10. A Bug's Life

11. Cars

The first 11 films from Pixar Studios represent an unprecedented streak of quality and success. They're an obvious batch to Marathon, but what can I possibly gain by writing 11 reviews about how much I love Pixar's first 11 films? (Besides, most of those already exist around the boards.) Then, I hit upon an idea. Why not break each film down into smaller sections and take a good, hard look at each individual piece?

I will tackle these 11 films one DVD Chapter at a time, giving my thoughts for each as its own review post, with a screenshot, quote and individual star rating. That means I'll be posting about 390 reviews total for these elite 11. My hope is to post at least once a day, no more than twice. I don't want this to be a gush-fest. I plan to be super critical, while also exploring what I think it is that has made this period of Pixar so special in film history.

The Line-Up...
Toy Story
Sheriff Woody - 
Opening Credits - The Coast Is Clear - The Staff Meeting - Recon Plan Charlie - 
Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger - "Strange Things" - 
Woody vs. Buzz - Sid - Who Will Andy Pick? - Buzz Hitches a Ride - Lost at the Gas Station - Pizza Planet - Sid's House - 
Back at Andy's - 
Playtime with Sid - The Buzz Lightyear Commercial - 
"I Will Go Sailing No More" - 
Hannah's Tea Party - 
Sid's Window to Andy's Window - 
The Big One - Andy Misses Woody - 
"Buzz, I Can't Do This Without You" - 
Woody Asks For Help - "Wind the Frog" - "Play Nice!" - 
The Chase - 
Rocket Power - Christmas in Andy's New House

A Bug's Life
Main Titles - Flik's Invention - Red Alert - The Grasshoppers Arrive - On Trial - Leaving Ant Island - Flik's Flight - P.T. Flea's Circus - The City - Bug Bar - Flying Home - The Warriors Arrive - Official Welcome - "Squish Me Now" - A Bird Attacks - Francis the Hero - Atta's Apology - Flik's Plan - Building the Bird - Hopper's Hideout - The Celebration - PT Arrives - The Grasshoppers Return - To the Clubhouse - Dot Goes For Help - Turning Back - Grasshopper Occupation - Showtime - Flik's Bird Attacks - Flik vs. Hopper - Ant Battle - Rain - Hopper's Demise - Springtime

Toy Story 2
Opening Titles - Buzz's Mission - Woody's Lost Hat - It's Buster! - The Nightmare - Wheezy - Yard Sale - Kidnapped! - Who Stole Woody? - The Roundup Gang - Operation Rescue Woody - "Woody's Roundup" - Woody Loses His Arm - Buzz's Speech - Getting the Arm - Crossing the Road - The Cleaner - Al's Toy Barn - Woody's Restoration - Buzz Switch - The Barbie Aisle - Jessie's Story ("When She Loved Me") - The Toys Find Al - Into the Vents - Sheriff Woody - To the Rescue! - Woody Stays - Stinky Pete - Zurg Battle - To the Airport - Woody Vs. Prospector - Saving Jessie - Takeoff! - Welcome Home

Monsters Inc.
Monster In The Closet - Mr. Waternoose - Morning Workout - Monstropolis - Monsters Inc. - Randall - The Scare Floor - "23-19!" - End Of The Day - Boo! - Harryhausen's - Back To The Apartment - Bedtime - Sneaking Boo To Work - Potty Break - Randall's Plot - The Wrong Door - Mike On The Run - The Trash Compactor - Mike Kidnapped - The Scream Extractor - Sulley Scares Boo - Banished - Sulley Rescues Boo - "Schmoopsie Poo!" - The Door Vault - Tricking Waternoose - Goodbye - The Laugh Floor - Kitty!

Finding Nemo
New Parents - Main Titles - First Day of School - Field Trip - The Drop Off - Nemo Lost - Meeting Dory - Sharks - The Tank Gang - The Abyss - Anglerfish - Nemo's Initiation - Fish Impressions - Jellyfish - The Filter - Sea Turtles - News Travels - Off Ramp - Dory Speaks Whale - Algae - Inside the Whale - Sydney Harbour - The Aquascum - Pelicans - Darla! - Goodbye Dory - Nemo and Dory - Fishing Net - Reunion  - Back on the Reef - Tank Escape

The Incredibles
Golden Age pt.1, pt. 2, pt. 3 - Weddings & Lawsuits - 15 Years & 50 Pounds Later - After School - Family Dinner - 2 Ex-Supers - A Super Defeated - Help Wanted - Nomanisan - New & Improved - Helen Suspects - Helen & E - An Important Meeting - E's Lab - Secrets Revealed - Suiting Up - Missile Lock - Out to Sea - Good Guys/Bad Guys - Elastigirl Returns - Caves & Rockets - Lost & Found - 100 Mile Dash - Reunited - Bob's Confession - Frozone & Honey - Omnidroid Attacks - Road Trip - The Incredibles Vs. the Omnidroid - Past Vs. Future - Happy Endings - End Credits

Cars
Dinoco 400 - 
Victory Lane - 
Rust-eze - "Life Is a Highway" - Lost - Into Town - Where's McQueen? - The Impound - Traffic Court - Bessie - Customers! - Doc's Challenge - A New Road - Turn Right to Go Left - Back to Work - Tractor Tipping - Backwards Driving - Goodnight - Doc's Piston Cups - Breakfast at Flo's - Drive With Sally - Wheel Well - "Our Town" - Stampede - Doc Races - He's Gone - A New Customer - Cruisin' - McQueen Is Found - California Race - Back on the Map - 
Epilogue

Ratatouille
World's Best - This Is Me - Taste This - Caught - Exodus - Wall Rat - Le Cooks - Big Break - Discovered - The Pact - First Day - Test Drive - Accidental Success - Cooking With Colette - Something New - Old and New Friends - Homecoming - Exterminator - Kiss & Vinegar - Losing Control - Paper Chase - Up & Down - Heist to See You - Big Night (mare) - Ego Orders - Truth Hurts - Dinner Rush - Best Shot - The Review - La Ratatouille

Wall-E
Out There - Walk Home - Wall-E's Truck - A Day at Work - Eve Arrives - Confrontation - La Vie En Rose - Courting - Wall-E's Favorite Things - Bad Date - Time to Go - Space Travel - Docking - Welcome to the Axiom - Bridge Lobby - Captain on Deck - Define Earth - Repair Ward - Rogue Robots - Escape Pod - Cruising Speed - Spacewalk - The Lido Deck - It Only Takes a Moment - Code A113 - Garbage Airlock - Eve to the Rescue - The Captain Vs. Auto - All Feet on Deck - Homecoming - Back Together - 
End Credits

Up
Newsreel - Meet Ellie - Married Life - Carl Alone - Construction Zone - Russell - Carl's Mistake - Carl Goes Up - Interrupted - Storm - Where Are We? - Stuck - The Journey Begins - Hunting Dogs - Kevin - Dug - Talking Dogs - Ditch 'Em - Campfire - Hunters Come to Camp - Muntz - Dinner - Pursuit - Stuff I Remember Most - Muntz Takes Kevin - Paradise Falls - Message from Ellie - Cleaning House - Rescue Russell - Rescue Kevin - Old Man Fight - Dogfight - Atop the Dirigible - Back Home

Toy Story 3
Western Adventure - Playtime - Grown Up - College Packing - Thrown Away - Going to Daycare - Sunnyside Welcome - What About Andy? - Woody Leaves - Rough Play - Bonnie - We’re Trapped - Gambling Den - Where’s Home - Lotso’s Offer - I See Andy - Locked Up - Lotso’s Story - Daybreak - Woody Returns - Reunited - Prison Break - Ken’s Closet - Prison Riot - Mr. Tortilla Head - Spanish Buzz - Caught - Garbage Truck - The Dump - End of the Line - Safe and Sound - Back Home - Goodbye, Andy - End Credits

BONUS CONTENT

1. Wreck-It Ralph
2. Frozen
3. Tangled

Tangled
The Lost Princess - "When Will My Life Begin" - Mother Knows Best pt. 1 - "Mother Knows Best" - Meet Flynn Rider - Rapunzel Meets Flynn Rider - "Now, I'm the Bad Guy" - Making a Deal - Leaving the Tower - At War With Herself - "Where's Your Rider?" - The Snuggly Duckling - "I've Got a Dream" - The Escape pt. 1 - The Escape pt. 2 - In the Cave - In the Woods - "Don't Freak Out" - "Rapunzel Knows Best" - Maximus Agrees to Help - The Best Day of Your Life - "To The Boats" - "I've Seen the Light" - Betrayed - Mother Gothel's Deception - Rapunzel Sees the Light - The Rescue - The Rescue pt. 2 - A New Dream - Lost Princess Found

Wreck-It Ralph
The Bad Guy - View From the Dump - One Game At A Time - Game Central Station - 30 Years - Tappers - Hero's Duty - Bad Programming - Ralph Gets His Medal - Sugar Rush - No Flex - Random Roster Race - King Candy - The Glitch - Going Turbo - Making a Car - Alone Together - Driving Lessons - King Candy's Secret - King Candy's Deception - Ralph Deceived - Out of Order - Sour Bill Confesses - Every Day of My Life - The Race - Cy-Bug Invasion - Can't Leave the Game - The Boss Level - Resetting the Game - Bonus Levels

Frozen
Opening Credits/"Frozen Heart" - Accident - Concealing Her Powers - "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" - Coronation Day - "For the First Time in Forever" - Prince Hans - A Moment Between Sisters - Puppy Love/"Love is an Open Door" - Sorcery - Completely Ordinary - "Let it Go" - The Search for Elsa - Reindeer People - A Ride - Olaf - "In Summer" - Heroic Hans - Up the North Mountain - Finding Elsa - Snow Monster - Anna's Turning White - Family - "Fixer Upper" - Discovered - Betrayal - What is Love? - Blizzard - An Act of Love - Open Gates

Big Hero 6
Bot Fighting - Hustle - Nerd School - Baymax - A New Angle - Showcase - Tragedy - A New Friend - Being Helpful - Escape The Warehouse - Feeling Low - Upgrade - What's Going On - The Chase - Fred's House - Training - Hero Therapy - Secret Lair - The Sparrow - First Combat - Deadly Baymax - Don't Give Up - Krei Tech Industries - Heroes - The Portal - Satisfied With Your Care

Inside Out
Riley's Emotions - Golden Days - The Move - Joy and Sadness - Bedtime - Embarrassed - Outer Edge - Dinner - Mind Map - Forgetters - Friendship - Saved - Abstract Thought - Imagination Land - No More Hockey - Sad Bing Bong - The Big Idea - Dream Productions - Subconscious - Riley Plans/Train of Thought - Crossroads - Memory Dump - Back Up - She's Gone - Return - Change Her Mind - Epilogue - End Credits

Zootopia
Prologue - Gideon Grey - The Police Academy - Welcome to Zootopia - New Home - Bogo and the Bullpen - Meter Maid Duty - A Jumbo Pop - Pawpsicles - Safe At Home - The Weasel Chase - Missing Otter - It's Called A Hustle - The Naturalist Club - Dept. of Mammal Vehicles - Tundratown Limo Service - Mr. Big - Manchas Goes Savage - The Gondola - Help From Bellweather - Cliffside Asylum - We Cracked The Case - Hopps Gives Up - Hopps' Apology - Doug's Labratory - Stealing the Evidence - The Natural History Museum - Epilogue
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:45:36 PM by 1SO »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: The Elite Eleven of Pixar - One Chapter at a Time
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
Wow! *Clicks the follow button*
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »
Wow, that's amazing.  I will certainly be following, DVD remote in hand!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
This is a great idea.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:21:44 AM »
Wow! *Clicks the follow button*
Theres a follow button?...

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »
You just clicked it, Beavermoose!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »
1. WALL-E (roughly #400 of All Time, and I suspect I'd rank it lower if I saw it a third time)
2. Toy Story 2
3. Toy Story

4. Up
5. Monsters, Inc.
6. Ratatouille

7. Finding Nemo
8. The Incredibles
9. A Bug's Life
10. Toy Story 3

Not exactly in agreement with "unprecedented streak of quality".  This is a different take on a marathon, though.  I'll be reading to see exactly how "super critical" you can be with this production studio that you clearly adore.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
This project wouldn't be complete unless Martin and FLY followed along. There's no point in writing persuasive analysis, 300+ posts where I aim to convince people these Pixar films were the best. (Though I suspect I'll be taking more of that tone when discussing A Bug's Life and Cars.) Since I'm of the opinion that there are no 'perfect' films, I'm looking forward to looking at the flaws in films I give 5 stars. (SPOILER ALERT: Randy Newman). Other current thoughts include...
  • With individual star ratings, which Pixar film will have the best average?
  • Is there a better single chapter than "Married Life" from Up? (Oh yes, there will be rankings.)
  • How does Toy Story compare to the current level of animation? How much of the film's lasting power is in the writing?
  • Why are me and FLY on opposite ends when it comes to The Incredibles?
  • Why don't I like Wall-E as much as others?

Also, I notice with some of the early films that there are Chapters only a minute long, so I'm reserving the right to combine Chapters if there isn't anything to talk about. (I've already omitted opening and closing titles on some films.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:38:52 AM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »
I know people think this is silly, but Randy Newman is seriously the main reason I don't think I will ever love a Toy Story film because I hate every song he writes for those movies.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »
Sounds like a great way to discover something new about these films. You won't know what's under the microscope until you look. :)