Author Topic: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT  (Read 558775 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT
« Reply #1410 on: September 11, 2016, 12:38:04 AM »
This relationship is at the core of the film and it works so well that I want to put it at the top of some lists.  I'll make some lists so I can put this relationship at the top.

;D

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1411 on: September 11, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »

Zootopia - Pawpsicles
"You can't touch me carrots. I've been doing this since I was born."

Here we get the full extent of Nick's con game and it's a doozy. So nice to see the writing extend Nick beyond a simple hustle into a full enterprise with a legal answer for everything. In contrast to Judy's honesty, what makes Nick likable is his ability to leave no opportunity unworked. Even his harsh reality check on Hopps' past in Bunnyburrow and future with the police makes the character likable because he's clearly very good at this. Now let's see him apply those skills against someone we don't like. (Bateman pulls off here what took Tom Hanks two films to do with Woody. He's able to behave like a jerk while not giving viewers the opinion that he IS a jerk.)

"I stood up for you, and you lied to me. You liar!"
"It's called a hustle, sweetheart."

All Hopps can do is take it. For someone who's had to deal with prejudice all her life, Nick gets to her and relentless keeps getting digs in every time she tries to assert herself. Being a cop doesn't help her. Being a smart and resourceful bunny doesn't help. Every attempt to trick or trap Nick only makes it worse.

Just want to mention I'm on the fence about the voice casting for Nick's partner. I guess it's funny giving a tiny fox a Michael Clarke Duncan sound, but the voice is so unexpected the laugh doesn't get through.
Rating: * * * - Very Good

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1412 on: September 12, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
I liked the heard mentality of the hamsters. Once that first one is reeled in, the rest follow. Also, it's strange that the film takes this long to introduce the idea of the con, given that the entire film is a weird blend of detective story and con story.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1413 on: September 12, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
The sign on the bank identified the animals as lemmings, which explains the behavior.

Combining a con with a mystery is a fast route to my happiness.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1414 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:06 AM »

Zootopia - Safe At Home
"Tomorrow's another day."
"Yeah, but it might be worse."

I don't know if I'd call this Chapter bad, but it's not good. I get that from a story structure point you have to have doubt, this dark night of the soul before Judy climbs out and proves her worth to Nick with brains and revenge. However, the writing is some of the weakest of the film, as if they always meant to come back to this moment and get it right, but ran out of time.

So we get the sad music selections. At this point are "Everybody Hurts" and "All By Myself" ever used as anything but a punchline. They're the musical opposites to "I Feel Good" and "Don't Worry, Be Happy". Then there are the microwave carrots. I bet any viewer could imagine inside the package before she opened them. Finally there's the phone call from Mom & Dad where they're ecstatic to learn their kid is a meter maid and "not a real cop." Cute but not clever.

One last moment when the neighbors yell for Judy to turn down the depressing music, revealing that the score is actually something playing on her clock radio. (I learned today that the neighbors are voiced by Zootopia's two directors. Also, the characters are a gay married couple.) The Chapter ends with Judy trying to pick herself up only to have one of the neighbors dampen her spirit. It's the one truly funny moment here, which is why I quoted it.
Rating: * *

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1415 on: September 13, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »
I did like that joke you quoted and the fact that the music was coming from her speakers. Otherwise, yeah, not great but probably necessary.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1416 on: September 13, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
I think it's a pacing necessity, but not great, no.  That's okay.

"It's called a hustle, sweetheart."  No, actually, it's called capitalism.  Making money by legal means may not be moral, but it's pretty common.  It's interesting that he had to use deceit to step around the prejudice of the elephant, not to do anything illegal.  We may not like the legal con, but the more I look at it, the less I have a problem with it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1417 on: September 14, 2016, 12:14:36 AM »

Zootopia - The Weasel Chase
"I popped the weasel!"

The film picks up immediately with smarter complaints by the animals over Judy's ticketing, which leads to Judy beating her head against the wheel while chanting "I am a real cop," which leads to the weasel chase that turns everything around. Judy once again shows pride and excitement for her work, ditching her meter maid gear and telling the other cops "I got dibbs." (Love that she turns around to shout at the cops "whoo-whoo". Pure delight.)

One of the most creative shots is the one above. Click and enlarge it. Notice the details, the sense of scale created by the narrow focus. It looks more like stop-motion and digital paint. This will go away as the chase progresses, but i like how it initially sets up the difference in sizes where Judy is now the large threat. The chase is very creative, playfully showing a wide range of ideas in this new district of Little Rodentia. The playful side of what animation can do.

There's an odd bit of stereotyping, with a Jersey Shore, Italian shrew (named Fru Fru), shopping with her friends. Her appearance is brief, and I didn't think it was going to come back later. (Jumping ahead, if anyone remembers Training Day, there's a similar character in that film who re-appears later against all probability to keep the lead from being killed.) The scene ends great though with Judy rolling the weasel into the police station, where the donut encasing him, rolls his head around like the center of a dropped quarter.

The final shot is another excellent bit of perspective. I saw this in 3D and there are a number of shots like this that use the gimmick well.
Rating: * * * - Very Good

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1418 on: September 14, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »
I also love how I am cringing throughout the sequence at how easily Judy and her pursuit could harm the innocent, small creatures.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1419 on: September 14, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »
Agree, I think the film does a nice job showing how under the surface of a happy Utopia Zootopia, there's the constant threat of the whole thing collapsing. It's also in a moment here when Judy jumps into Little Rodentia and a rhino cop runs up to the gate and shouts "wait for the real cops." You're left thinking, what are 'real' cops going to do? Judy is the only one small enough to attempt to continue chasing the weasel.

love