Author Topic: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT  (Read 559408 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT
« Reply #1450 on: September 26, 2016, 01:04:21 AM »
I'm not sure the fact that the movie doesn't map directly onto the current racial situation (and I'll agree it doesn't, or at least not very well) is a bad thing. Is it enough, perhaps, to have a group of "people" who are seen as violent which are driven to further violence by the very people that are supposed to be helping them? That the racism is systemic (superpredators, anybody?) is the point, not the specifics of it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1451 on: September 26, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
I agree, but enough of the specifics can be equated with reality, ("Well, it's okay for rabbits to call each other 'cute', but..."  ) that it's just confusing, is all.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1452 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »

Zootopia - Hopps' Apology
"You bunnies, you're so emotional."

We return to Bunnyburrow and immediately I'm happy to be seeing more of the place, a reminder that I enjoy touring the locations more than following the plot. Gideon Grey returns to put Judy back into the investigation when he points out Night Howlers are a flower. Always struck me as an unusual secondary meaning because calling timberwolves "night howlers" made so much sense and led Judy to solving the case the first time.

Judy catches up with Nick and gives an apology that very suspiciously mimics the one in Wreck-It Ralph. Again, we have a recipient who's already forgiven the lead just by showing up. What elevates the scene is when the chemistry between Nick and Judy becomes the focus. Nick plays the apology like they're too cool for emotions, asking if her hug is just because she's trying to steal his recorder pen. She makes a joking half-hearted grab for it that's adorable. I love this little moment, but i'm also excited to watch them get back to work with a renewed focus.
Rating: * * * - Good

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1453 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »
"Madame, I have a fake badge. I would never impede your pretend investigation."

Went through airport security this morning and the wife and I were selected for additional screening. They patted me down and afterwards gave us both the same gold sticker badges. Kept thinking of this quote the whole time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1454 on: September 27, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »
Still reading, but don't have much to say about Zootopia, I guess.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1455 on: September 27, 2016, 10:35:31 PM »
Still reading, but don't have much to say about Zootopia, I guess.
Thanks for following along. I think I'm writing less than usual too because I don't have the perspective of years like with the early Pixar or even Wreck-It Ralph, which I've watched a bunch. I wonder if my Finding Dory posts will be brief since I've only watched the film twice and I don't remember anything particularly chewy to discuss.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1456 on: September 27, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »
I had a discussion with my wife last night about the racism theme in Zootopia.  She is generally in 1SO's camp-- that it seemed to lose sense if you look too closely at it, and that it seems like it might have been tacked on later in the process of the film.  She thinks that it would have been better if the theme was about prejudice in general, and less specifically about racism.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1457 on: September 27, 2016, 10:52:02 PM »

Zootopia - Doug's Labratory

They should have called this Chapter, "Payoff, Recall, Homage".

The Chapter begins with Nick excitedly gulping down blueberries, and I knew immediately this detour was planting something that would payoff later. Later being soon because there isn't much movie left.

Then the story brings back Duke Weaselton and Mr. Big to help intimidate the story forward. They get there by stealing a joke from Finding Nemo.

This leads them to the underground drop spot where a ram named Doug creates a poison pellet that looks like a blueberry and then takes a phone call where he confesses to the entire mystery. He lets in his partners Walter and Jessie. Zootopia has turned into Breaking Bad.
Rating: * * 1/2

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1458 on: September 27, 2016, 11:00:31 PM »
I had a discussion with my wife last night about the racism theme in Zootopia.  She is generally in 1SO's camp-- that it seemed to lose sense if you look too closely at it, and that it seems like it might have been tacked on later in the process of the film.  She thinks that it would have been better if the theme was about prejudice in general, and less specifically about racism.

Your wife is the best.

[EDIT: ...next to my wife.]

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1459 on: September 27, 2016, 11:29:24 PM »
The Breaking Bad reference was as bad for me as The Godfather earlier in the film.  Cute, but ultimately unnecessary and distracting from th basic tone of the film.