Author Topic: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT  (Read 559387 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
The Elite Eleven: Bonus Content - Zootopia
« Reply #1460 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »

Zootopia - Stealing the Evidence
"Whatever you're thinking, stop thinking it."

Big Action Climax pt. 1. A little different from the norm, though not in this chapter, which is all about raising hairs and goosing adrenaline. (The 2nd half is closer in line with the more contained Big Action Climax of Tangled.) Compared to others in this Marathon, this would be a lesser BAC, perhaps because one side consists of characters we don't really know. Nick and Judy up against thugs doesn't have any real danger, especially when the action throws in a sheep shearing joke.

Nick's patter remains sarcastic and snappy, while Judy shows that resourceful side against a larger species that made her so winning at the Police Academy. That said, her action towards the end is reckless. Raises the thrills, but puts both her and Nick in a ridiculous amount of life-threatening danger.
Rating: * * * - Okay

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1461 on: October 03, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »

Zootopia - The Natural History Museum
"Fear always works."

This marathon has had a number of great surprise villains, maybe that's why it's a little disappointing that the reveal here packs no punch. Maybe it's because our heroes don't figure it out, like you want good, smart detectives to do. You don't just want Bellweather to step forward and announce herself.

Just like you don't want Nick to remind the audience of his blueberries that look exactly like the 'savage pellets.' Between that and Bellweather calling the cops before Nick would go savage, there's no doubt that they're pulling a hustle. Considering how good the film is up to this point, it's too bad the peak of the climax lacks all bite.
Rating: * *

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: One Chapter at a Time - The Elite Eleven of Pixar + BONUS CONTENT
« Reply #1462 on: October 03, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty weak.  Bellweather is a fine villain, but the way it's approached is dull.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1463 on: October 03, 2016, 09:25:24 PM »

Zootopia - Epilogue
"You know you love me?"
"Do I know that? Yes... yes I do."

First off, I never knew the running time on Zootopia was uncommonly long for an animated film, probably because the film is essentially over at this point. There's nearly 16 minutes left, including a concert scene and lengthy credits. The story is wrapped up in callbacks to jokes and characters and there's a happy ending for all who deserve it. Judy makes a speech about tolerance, Nick joins the force (which is out of character) and Flash is revealed to be a speed demon. (I both laugh and groan at that one.) There's also a weird exchange of dialogue, which I quoted above. Many take that to imply an interspecies romance. It isn't made clear and I don't think it works for the characters either.
Rating: * * 1/2

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1465 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »
I didn't know this was something that existed. I knew about Nick and Judy fanfic and artwork, but putting a phrase to it is new to me. Thanks.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Zootopia - A Ranking of Chapters
« Reply #1466 on: October 03, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
I like Zootopia a lot, but taken one scene at a time, this averaged out a lot lower than I expected.

Zootopia
Welcome to Zootopia
Dept. of Mammal Vehicles
It's Called A Hustle

Pawpsicles
Cliffside Asylum
The Weasel Chase
The Gondola
Prologue
Tundratown Limo Service
Mater Maid Duty
A Jumbo Pop
Bogo and the Bullpen
The Police Academy
Manchas Goes Savage
Help From Bellweather
Missing Otter
We Cracked The Case
Hopps' Apology
Gideon Grey

Stealing the Evidence
New Home
Epilogue
Doug's Labratory
Hopps Gives Up

The Natural History Museum
Safe At Home
The Naturalist Club
Mr. Big

FINAL TANGLED 30 CHAPTER RATING: 3.017
FINAL WRECK-IT RALPH 30 CHAPTER RATING: 3.25
FINAL FROZEN 30 CHAPTER RATING: 3.067
FINAL BIG HERO 6 26 CHAPTER RATING: 3.038
FINAL INSIDE OUT 28 CHAPTER RATING: 2.741
FINAL ZOOTOPIA 28 CHAPTER RATING: 2.866

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1467 on: October 03, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »
I didn't know this was something that existed. I knew about Nick and Judy fanfic and artwork, but putting a phrase to it is new to me. Thanks.

You should thank Ideathy, she's the one who introduced me to the world of shipping.

I agree that Zootopia is up and down, but I'd rate a number of these a bit higher than you.  Generally, we are in agreement.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1468 on: October 04, 2016, 04:48:01 AM »
I've added Zootopia to my Netflix streaming queue. I look forward to going back and reading this analysis after watching it.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1469 on: October 04, 2016, 05:42:41 AM »
 :D

love