Author Topic: Sam Makes a Favorite Albums List  (Read 6841 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Sam Makes a Favorite Albums List
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »

Oh! I'm liking this album very much. Good recommendation.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »
Figures that Sandy starts listening to these recommendations before I do.  :P

I blame Sam Phillips. I got her new album today and I've just been listening to it on loop.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
Oops! Where am I? Did I make a wrong turn somewhere in the Music threads? :))

Sam, this is a great project! Happily following along on your discoveries!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
Don't forget to leave a recommendation, Sandy!

I'll probably fiddle with formatting as time goes on, but for now I'm going to try to update the main lists of the project bit by bit each evening for a few evening instead of trying to rush and compile everything at once.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »
Don't forget to leave a recommendation, Sandy!

This is my favorite album of my favorite artist, so that must make it my #1. (Not a mainstream album, hope that's okay.)

http://open.spotify.com/album/1l7ysbnQNktE8IGRSQeeKg

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:28 AM »

This album deserves to be known, give it a try Sam.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
@Sandy Been a while since I've listened to any Chapman. Last time would be at least high-school.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
Peter Gabriel - Car (1977) [From Favorites]

I decided to start with an album from my favorites that I haven’t listened to in a while. Peter Gabriel’s debut album, Peter Gabriel, or Car as I’ll call it, is his first major music work after leaving Genesis. Moribund The Burgermeister, the opening track, is a great bridge from the sort of pastoral and nursery story imagery evoked in Genesis to the more urban, modern focus of Gabriel’s albums. There str still some holdovers from Genesis: Gabriel uses a few different voices throughout the song and the overall structure feels like it has the kind of sweeping movements of a prog song, but condensed into a much shorter runtime.

After that, you have the wonderful Solsbury Hill. Sadly, this has come to stand for a lot of sappy, feel-good parodies (See Shining), but I’m still able to enjoy it as a beautiful piece in and of itself. It is a classic, after all.

And then we get into where the album definitely takes a step down. I still enjoy a lot of the tracks after this, but I think Gabriel swings wildly to hit the highs and lows as hard as he can and the result is a song like Slow Bun that goes from quiet and contemplative to bombastic and over the top. The last couple of tracks in particular feel too relentless. They need to be toned down. Down The Dolce Vita is way too much, but I can still enjoy it.

I still enjoy Modern Love and Excuse Me quite a bit even though they feel a bit on the nose. Also, Humdrum is one of those songs I’ll probably forever associate with England. Listening to that song while wandering around London or riding a train across the UK in the rain felt like getting a glimpse into what Gabriel hoped to evoke with that song. It felt so much like that mood and that place so I think the song will always mean a lot to me just because it evokes those memories in my mind.

While I don’t like it as much as I did about a year ago, I still connect strongly with a few of the songs and can enjoy most of it even though I recognize that they are a bit overblown. There's no way this will make the final list, but I can see myself returning to it when I'm in a certain mood.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »
Yeah I don't listen to that one much.  It's all Solsbury/Modern Love/Humdrum/Flood for me and the rest is either annoying or skippable.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
I would so introduce you to a number of artists... that are already on your top lists.

So, digging a little deeper,  I'm going to recommend a few albums.  If you've already heard the artist/album, and don't care for it, move on to the next.

Door #1: Jars of Clay/ Jars of Clay

Door #2: Bruce Springsteen/ Wrecking Ball

Door #3: Daniel Amos/ Mr. Buechner's Dream

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:27:51 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky