love

Poll

Do you want to see a change in voting for this years Top 100?

Yes  (please comment with any ideas)
1 (5.3%)
No
18 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: 6th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments & Discussion Thread  (Read 12693 times)

Wilson

• Elite Member
Alright everybody,

It's almost that time of the year again.  The voting won't start for another week or two (I am awaiting delivery of a new PC, so that will have to arrive first); but I thought I would open this thread and we can start discussion.

I am mostly interested in the format of the voting,  I shall make a poll out of this.  I am curious as to whether people feel we should look into a change, or continue with the same as it always has been.

I would be particularly interested if anybody has any ideas on how to incorporporate the wonderful work that Pixote has done with The Ratings Project.   Obviously, this is only the infancy of an idea and totally open to suggestion or dismissal.

This would also mark the 5th year with the current voting structure, so perhaps some sort of historical data can also be integrated?

By all means though, if the majority are happy with things as they are, then that's what we'll do.

Please vote and let me know what you're thoughts are, and what you would or wouldn't like to see integrated this year.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 6th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments & Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »
If you mean by change that we switch from ranking to rating movies, I wouldn't participate.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
I voted no but it depends on the specifics.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
I'm open to new options, not that I have specific ideas to offer.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
The problem with the ratings project method being applied here is it allows for negative votes. Don't want to see The Godfather at the top again? Give it a 1.

The Best advantage with Pixote's work is to give us a Watchlist of films we should all prioritize before submitting a list. Certainly anyone who plans to submit but hasn't watched The General should correct that.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »
I would prefer to keep the voting the way it is too.

As far as coordination with The Ratings Project, I agree with 1SO...it is pretty cool how it serves to streamline our FYC process quite a bit. Personally I'm trying to keep up with the ever changing communal watchlist.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Maybe we can have a pantheon. Films that can't be included in the top 100. Like films that have been in the top 10 for the last few years should be removed from competition and put into the pantheon. Just an idea.
There are always new a different films showing up on the list each year. But there is a worry that it might stagnate a bit.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
I kind of like that. Anything that has been on the list (in the top 20? top 10? all of it?) for all six years gets the boot for a year.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »
I'm against any changes.  If films drop out, let it be because of evolving opinion, viewpoint, etc.  For some of us, the list itself may not be as exciting as years past since there are a bunch of titles that will make the 100 every year but following pixote's The Ratings Project and downloading the spreadsheet that Wilson posts then discoveries are out there for all of us.  As a result, freshness is a part of the overall experience.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:21 PM »
100% agree with Verite.

love