Poll

Do you want to see a change in voting for this years Top 100?

Yes  (please comment with any ideas)
1 (5.3%)
No
18 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: 6th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments & Discussion Thread  (Read 12667 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: 6th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments & Discussion Thread
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
I don't really like the idea of excluding films. If the concern is that the same films pop up then let new films in by making the list longer, (i.e make into a top 200 and/or allow people to submit longer lists) not by excluding those that deserve to be there.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
Isn't it more of an elevation than an exclusion though? I should think a film being admitted to this yet undefined pantheon would be the highest honour it could hope to achieve. An exclusive club where only the very best are welcomed. For films on the brink of entry (qualifications yet to be determined) it could add to the stakes.

At some point it does seem reasonable to recognize a film for its outstanding longevity (or something).

The problem with the ratings project method being applied here is it allows for negative votes. Don't want to see The Godfather at the top again? Give it a 1.

It allows for negative votes but the sort of obstructionist tactics you're talking about doesn't seem very likely in this place.

The Best advantage with Pixote's work is to give us a Watchlist of films we should all prioritize before submitting a list. Certainly anyone who plans to submit but hasn't watched The General should correct that.1

1 But your opinion will only be counted if you love it. Otherwise, BE SILENT!  :P

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »
Frankly I'm kinda tired of the top 100 vis a vis the ratings project. I mean, this had Tree of Life in it before its DVD release. But I'm not sure what function it serves if it embraces the ratings project.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:01 AM »
Good feedback, no integration with ratings project.

Any thoughts on use of historical data vs starting fresh every year?  Extending to 150/200?

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Any thoughts on use of historical data vs starting fresh every year?

I'm curious about others' thoughts on the former.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Senor Javi

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
This is very coincidental timing for me because I was board at work yesterday and redid my top 100 before even seeing this.  8)

I don't see anything wrong with the way that voting has been done previously. I get that it is boring to see the saw movies over and over again, but there is a reason why those films are mentioned over and over again. I suppose the problem is that with a top 100 list you are going to pick the "greatest" films and many people have similar ideas of what is "great." I'm going to have Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and the Godfather on my lists and so will most others. However, it is disingenuous to have a top 100 list without including those films if you love them.

Maybe the solution is to have a seperate "underloved" list. You would ban anything that appeared on the joint top 100 list and maybe any film that came close. This would shine a spotlight on films that are great, but never makes these lists. Maybe then films like Floating Weeds, Marty, and the Big Heat would get the love that they deserve. Heck, I'm salivating at the idea of finally voting for films like Attack the Gas Station! or Dark City which always missed the cut for me. Finally you would be free of the burden of voting for films that you "have" to and you could start to get creative. It would probably less cohesive than the top 100 list, but it would certainly be interesting.
My Switchboard - Movies Watched in 2010, The Year So Far, Top 200 Films, and more!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »
I'm good with no changes, particularly increasing the size of the list.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »
I'm for keeping the same format but it would be interesting to do some kind of extended analysis after the poll. Cumulative votes over 6 years, incorporate the 2013 list with the ratings project, brackets or historical data in some meta-list, nomalize for number of participants between years, ect. Pix, are there ratings people who don't participate in the top 100?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
Scrap every film you've ever voted for.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
I'm for keeping the same format but it would be interesting to do some kind of extended analysis after the poll. Cumulative votes over 6 years

I like this suggestion.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

love