Poll

Do you want to see a change in voting for this years Top 100?

Yes  (please comment with any ideas)
1 (5.3%)
No
18 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: 6th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments & Discussion Thread  (Read 12698 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: 6th Annual Filmspotters Top 100 - Comments & Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
Mine was kinda thrown together, in an organized-ish way. I'd say each movie is in the mostly right order according to the movie that's above and below it, but not entirely beyond that. I kind of threw movies at a wall and then dragged them up and down to where I felt appropriate based on maybe divine intervention or manifest destiny. The top 20 or so are the 20 that meant the most to me that year.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »
Mine's just a list of personal favourites - the films that I've seen that are most likely to give me the most pleasure if I were to watch any of them again... or the films I think about most often, or something.

I alphabetised each tier to allow for fluidity. I and nobody else can argue that North by Northwest is a better film than Citizen Kane, but I know which one I "prefer". Today, at least.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »
As fun as the creation of a Top 100 can be, it might be better just to list a personal "hall of fame" - every film to which you award top marks or something.

Devil

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

I remember last year The Vishnevetsky Method was a popular way to compose a submission list. I'm very rank and file with my list, so this different approach is like The Five Obstructions to me, kind of fun but not a true list. (The opposing viewpoint, discussed on the podcast is how can you possibly compare one film's greatness against another's?)

I like the idea of placing limitations on the list as a separate experiment from ones actual Top 100 just to see how it might change. Though I think a true Top 100 shouldn't have any restrictions.

So I'm curious what the general grouping is here. How many of you use a rigidly formatted list? How many see their list as an approximate Top 100 likely to change on any given day? How many prefer to just throw 100 or more films into the air and see how they land? What are your restrictions, if any?

I think my top 10ish is fairly rigid with some room for movement, though I could be wrong with a year under my belt here stuff could change once I start to really think over it. Though moving down the list things become less clear, it's sort of hard to quantify why #63 is that much "better" than #87
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
I don't like placing any restrictions on my top 100, either. Let's say I watched a movie recently that I loved. Why shouldn't it go in the top ten? Should I let it wallow in the lower numbers until I've settled on it? Should I keep it out because I have another movie by the same director in the top ten? Or because I've already got a movie from the 90's about killer robots at the three spot? WHAT IF I REALLY LIKE KILLER ROBOTS?!?!?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Tree of Life certainly wasted no time getting into our Top 100 last year.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
Wonder who else will have TO THE WONDER in their top 100 this year.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »
So I'm curious what the general grouping is here. How many of you use a rigidly formatted list? How many see their list as an approximate Top 100 likely to change on any given day? How many prefer to just throw 100 or more films into the air and see how they land? What are your restrictions, if any?

I have a very scientific method. I ask myself, If I were to live on an island (preferably somewhere with seasons) and could only take one movie, what would it be? Two movies? Three? And so forth. Let's hope my island has electricity.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
That explains why your Top 100 will never have The Impossible.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »
 :D

I do have Castaway! I consider it my survival manual. I need to be reminded about that oxygen + heat = fire equation.

love