Author Topic: The World's End  (Read 6807 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: The World's End
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
There is a difference between a discussion of the movie's characters or themes and a dissection of plot holes. Most of my answers in fact relied upon those two things, but you singled out the one response that didn't. And that's why I don't care about these kinds of things.

If you'd like me to go deeper into drunk as a valid response, here it is. Sometimes when I drink I have to pee. Sometimes when I drink I make bad decisions. The combination of the two probably explains why he goes on his own. You can also use a version of the fitting in thing. I don't often go to the bathroom with my close friends. So it'd be weird to start doing so if you want to remain inconspicuous. However, all of this has very little to do with what matters in the film.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

With fronds like these...

• I'm on Twitter...
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 07:03:10 AM »
Did anybody else notice the joke with the character names? Gary King is mentioned several times in the script. Then there's...

Andy Knightley (Nick Frost)
Steven Prince (Paddy Considine)
Oliver Chamberlain (Martin Freeman),
Peter Page (Eddie Marsan),

Nicely done - did you also spot the links between the pub names and the storyline...?

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/07/special-features-what-do-pubs-in-world.html explains pretty well. I also noticed that the pub Gary and his younger Blank compadres visit in the final scene is called The Rising Sun... hints of rebirth?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:13 PM »
I never bought that the group would continue doing the pub crawl, especially when they admitted they were only doing it because they couldn't think of a better idea. (Getting the hell out of town always seemed like the better and more logical idea.)

This interests me because I feel like it's the kind of thing you only care about as a screenwriter and not a viewer - because you resent the film getting away with skimming over a logic issue that readers and producers would've gotten so hung up on in the pre-preduction phase, even though those same producers would demand the explanatory scenes be edited out in post-production because test audiences don't give a shit about logic in an apocalyptic farce. Double standard, etc.

Oh, and the movie was okay. I preferred the less polished but more entertaining This Is the End.

pixote
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:31:00 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
Is there a shift now in what people expect from their films and what they're willing to overlook? I feel like everyone gave up on plot logic a couple of Summers ago, so long as they get explosions big and loud. I remember it being a real sticking point with a lot of people when Prometheus came out. If I can't believe in the actions of the characters it takes me out of the movie. I'm not asking for them to make the right decision all the time. In fact I prefer it when they make bad decisions "in the moment" that I would probably do under the same stress. But you have to make me believe it or else you can feel the presence of the screenwriter moving the pieces around the board instead of characters having free will in their decisions.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
Is there a shift now in what people expect from their films and what they're willing to overlook?

Movies like Prometheus, Skyfall, Star Trek Into Darkness, etc. get ripped to shreds in analysis, but are still pretty favorably received. I don't think it has so much to do with expectations, but that each of those movies has a lot going for it (outside of the poor writing) that makes them entertaining to watch. They fulfill the "mindless entertainment" quota that satisfies a large part of the movie-going public, and falls into "willing to overlook" to a lot of people who acknowledge the problems but enjoy the virtues.

But there's a pretty big difference in what a film like The World's End can get away with compared to Prometheus. By it's nature, an "apocalyptic farce" brings a different set of expectations to it than a movie that is supposed to be entirely believable.

Totoro

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
Mixed bag for me. I don't understand why the Aliens just wussied out at the end just because of one individual's argument (and a poor, shallow one at that!). The action scenes got boring and tedious to me - they needed more variety. However, I came out of the film mostly positive and I LOVE the final scene.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
Action scenes boring and tedious?!?!?!? If there's one objectively awesome thing about the movie it's the action scenes! They're the best of the year, easily.

Totoro

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
The first few were great! Then the next hundred were the same exact thing. It's the same thing I hated about The Avengers - if all of the enemies at the end are really just cannon fodder, who cares?

Drug War has the best action scenes of the year so far.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:35:37 PM by Totoro »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 09:37:45 PM »
I'll have to take your word on Drug War for the moment. I count only 3 big action scenes, plus one long chase with a moment's rest in the middle. Each of the fight scenes is quite different, I think, and the chase scene has a pretty great ending moment. I'll agree that there's about 30 seconds too much running. That's all I'm budging, though.

Totoro

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 09:39:17 PM »
Further proof that Junior is an alternate dimension version of myself that somehow escaped into this dimension. Or vice versa. Junior loves everything I hate. He is Anti-Totoro. I am Anti-Junior.

love