Author Topic: Catalog of Corndog  (Read 19038 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Catalog of Corndog
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »

The Lodger
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
1927 | 90 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:
During my early days as a film buff, I often frequented the Wal-Mart $5 movie bin, looking for great deals on films I felt fondly about. Then one day, as I was sifting through the pile of trash that often finds its way in the $5 bin (crappy combo packs and crumby chick flicks) I unearthed the title Alfred Hitchcock: The Legend Begins, which featured 18 of Hitch's earliest British works. The pack also included two episodes of his television show, Alfred Hitchcock Present:, both of which, curiously enough, were not installments directed by Hitch himself. But for $5, and as an aspiring film buff, I couldn't pass up this potentially prestigious piece to add to my collection. I could show off to my friends, chest sufficiently jutted out, that I had 18 Alfred Hitchcock films you've never heard of. Some of them silent! *Insert gasp here*

Upon my purchase, I also marathoned the collection on the forums, so it will be interesting to compare my reviews then and now. And as a note, as a box set of sorts, it should prove difficult to part with the whole thing, so most of these upcoming reviews will probably be keepers, even if they individually wouldn't have made the cut. I've got to keep up my prestigious collection y'know!
Review:

As one of my favorite directors, Alfred Hitchcock has delivered us some of cinema's finest achievements from Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, and on and on (many of these films will come up later in this marathon). But some of the master's earliest films go mostly unseen, especially when compared to his masterworks. The Lodger is one such film, but one which truly reflects Hitch's niche and an early document of his tremendous style. Perhaps his most famous silent film, The Lodger tells a story reminiscent of the Jack the Ripper. A serial killer, The Avenger, is on the loose in London, claiming his victims, fair haired women, each Tuesday evening amidst the fog of England's capital city. During this affair, a young man (Ivor Novello) appears at the doorstep of Mrs. Bunting (Marie Ault), seeking a room for let. The lodger keeps to himself and seems quite particular about his privacy. The Bunting's daughter Daisy (June), a blonde herself, is perpetually shielding herself from the advances of Joe (Malcolm Keen), a detective who has been assigned to the case of The Avenger. But when the lodger arrives, she finds herself smitten with him. However, the eerie nature of his daily routine and the general goings on about the neighborhood strikes suspicion into the hearts of the Buntings and Joe, the detective on the case. They all seem threatened by the lodger, whose true intentions lie secret to only himself, as the others fear for the safety of Daisy, the beautiful fair haired daughter of the Buntings.

May I comment quite briefly at how awesome it is that Hitch's obsession with blondes seems to rear its head so early on in his career as well as in this collection. But might I also, not so briefly, comment on how Hitch's style and impeccable storytelling rears its head so early on as well. Silent films are certainly different beasts all together from "talkies", but in essence, the same magic touch of showing the audience the right thing at the right time must be handled, and this is something at which Hitchcock excels like none other. I wonder if the fact that Hitchcock got is start in silent films affected his style later on in his career at all. A certain level of craft must be achieved in order to piece together a narrative without dialogue, save a title card here or there. Being able to hone that skill in the silent era had to be invaluable to Hitchcock later on his career, where he was able to put his great storytelling to good use. Then again, he could also have just always been that efficient in getting what he needed across at precisely the right moment.

Another aspect that I have always enjoyed from Hitchcock is his ability to handle multiple genres in a single film. As a serial killer storyline, The Lodger clearly plays into his "Master of Suspense" persona, but there always seems to be a bit of that trademark humor includes as well. It can be seen here as well. The romantic aspects of the film don't quite work as well as you might hope, however. The melodrama of the love triangle (the lodger, Daisy and Joe) seems to slow the momentum of the film in the mid-section of the film. But it is picked up again in time to bring the film to an explosive finale. As a part of the melodramatic mid-section, the film's star, Ivor Novello, over does it a bit. Silent film acting is completely different than acting as we know it today, but Novello's facial expressions overcompensate far too much for the lack of words available for expression.

Despite the few qualms I mentioned above, the film is exceedingly entertaining. Hitch keeps us on our toes for most of the runtime, and presents a rather thought provoking examination of human paranoia and basic human instincts. While the style of the film reminds me of signature Hitchcock, it is really the base story itself that makes it as good a film as it is. Hitchcock merely does the story great justice, handling it with care and adding his own flair for the dramatic. The conclusion really is fantastic. If I had to recommend one early Hitchcock film to fans, or even non-fans, I would be hard-pressed not to pick The Lodger. It was just as good, if not better, than how I remembered it from my first viewing.

Rating: ***1/2 - Great

Format: DVD
Quality: LOW
The transfers for all of the titles in the box set are quite poor, which could affect my final decision on the box. It is also a no frills disc with absolutely no special features.

Decision: KEEPER
As I mentioned above in the procurement section of this post, it will be mighty difficult to part with this collection, even if I respond sour to many of the film. But with a knock out like this to lead-off both this marathon and the box set, at the very least this individual film is a keeper. I will make a decision on the box set when I have seen all of the films, but I am willing to bet I keep it.

NOTE: Most of the reviews will probably not be this long. Unless of course I become as inspired each time as I was to write this review.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:19:34 AM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »

The Ring
1927 | 90 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:
During my early days as a film buff, I often frequented the Wal-Mart $5 movie bin, looking for great deals on films I felt fondly about. Then one day, as I was sifting through the pile of trash that often finds its way in the $5 bin (crappy combo packs and crumby chick flicks) I unearthed the title Alfred Hitchcock: The Legend Begins, which featured 18 of Hitch's earliest British works. The pack also included two episodes of his television show, Alfred Hitchcock Present:, both of which, curiously enough, were not installments directed by Hitch himself. But for $5, and as an aspiring film buff, I couldn't pass up this potentially prestigious piece to add to my collection. I could show off to my friends, chest sufficiently jutted out, that I had 18 Alfred Hitchcock films you've never heard of. Some of them silent! *Insert gasp here*

Upon my purchase, I also marathoned the collection on the forums, so it will be interesting to compare my reviews then and now. And as a note, as a box set of sorts, it should prove difficult to part with the whole thing, so most of these upcoming reviews will probably be keepers, even if they individually wouldn't have made the cut. I've got to keep up my prestigious collection y'know!
Review:

Moving along in the collection, and in fact the Hitchcock box set, we encounter the first real dud. I know it is early in the process, but this one may contend for worst in the collection. I know it is Hitchcock, but the story and delivery just make it seem like Hitch is out of his element. Hitchcock actually is credited with the screenplay here, which is a Hitch oddity, and it shows to be honest. The Ring is a boxing melodrama. Does anything sound less Hitch than that!? "One Round" Jack Sander (Carl Brisson) is a carnival boxer who fends off prospective passers-by with one fell swoop of his hard hitting fist, thus his nickname. His girlfriend, the ticket girl (Lillian Hall-Davis), soon finds his match however. Bob Corby (Ian Hunter) approaches the game for a good time and finds himself beating "One Round" Jack in the fourth round of their bout. Corby, actually a big time boxer, gives Sander a chance to be his sparring partner, and to work his way up the ranks. But along the way he falls for Jack's girl, and she for him, ultimately setting up the final match between the two, fighting not just for the championship, but for the love of the girl.

There is so much in this film that doesn't seem to work, but the love triangle might be the biggest one. The crux of the film, I never bought it for one simple reason: the girl's love was wholly dependent on the fame and prestige of the man. There is indeed no love involved other than Sander's love for the girl. She comes off as shallow, a non-lover. The 1920s were certainly different times socially, but the actions of the girl, even after marrying Sander, are reprehensible, and yet she remains the prize at the end of the film. If I call the relationship between her and Sander unrealistic, I may be wrong based on social norms of the time. I honestly don't know. But at the very least that relationship is very dated, and as such makes the film dated as well. The melodrama of it all comes as a bit of a shock to me, as a big Hitchcock fan. He does it, and normally very well, but it usually compliments other elements. Instead here it features in what I could only describe as a cheesy movie. Probably just like a hundred other silent films of the time, made to lightly entertain the audience who is hardly used to seeing a moving picture on any sort of regular basis. But I am not that audience, and factors change with nearly 90 years having past.

For all the melodrama, however, there really wasn't much happening in the story. No side stories or minor points. Instead I sat there, slogging through the dull and slow narrative. The boxing matches were the peak of the entertainment factor, though I am not sure of the technique of the actors. Again, perhaps that was the style in the 1920s, but they mostly seemed to be flailing at each, with no real strategy or defense being put up. The tone was fairly erratic, jumping easily between light comedy to heavy melodrama, and as bad as the melodrama was, the comedy may have missed the mark even more. Just a fairly bizarre experience all the way around. Perhaps the acting was the only thing I actively liked, which is odd since, after reading my review the first time I watched the film, I apparently felt the acting was far too over-the-top. Oh well.

Rating: ** - Poor

Poor transfer with no special features. The picture doesn't even seem aligned properly with the screen some of the times. In addition, each of these films are accompanied by a fairly horrendous, inserted musical score that is barely passable for working with the films.

Decision: FOR SALE
Keeping the box set is still probably the favorite, so don't be surprised to see this one eventually kept because of that, but if the upcoming films continue to disappoint, the whole set may be on the chopping block.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:20:04 AM by Corndog »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »

Champagne
1928 | 86 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

We seem to be getting a little warmer with this one. Hitchcock started off with a bang in The Lodger, the type of film that seems custom fit for his talents as we know them today, but followed up with the stinker boxing melodrama of The Ring. With Champagne, Hitch manages to find some middle ground between the two. The film is still pretty much just a melodrama, a tale about a spoiled heiress. Betty (Betty Balfour) is young, in love, and rich. And as such, takes daddy's (Gordon Harker) plane to catch a cruise liner in the middle of the Atlantic, hoping to elope with her forbidden beau (Jean Bradin). But once they arrive in Paris, daddy has a trick he wishes to play on the extravagant playgirl. Claiming to have lost all his money in the stock market, he persuades Betty to think more economically, pushing her to live simply, take up cooking, and even get a job. It is a hard lesson for Betty, but for her benefit.

The film opens with a nice bang, with the rather engaging sequence of Betty arriving in the middle of the Atlantic via plane to board the cruise liner. I forgot to mention it in my review of the film, but The Lodger showed some of Hitchcock's impressive visuals, and Champagne has a few imaginative ones as well, principally the ability to take a stationary set, and make it appears as a rocking boat in the ocean. The sea-sick shots were quite interesting. As I said before, the story is melodramatic, but it manages to be much more effective than, honestly, it really ought to be. Released in 1928, who could have known what a cautionary tale the film could possibly turn into with the eventual stock market crash of 1928. The YOLO culture may be more visible in today's day and age, especially in film this year, but Hitchcock is almost way ahead of his time with this tale. Betty's wasteful ways are dealt with by her father, a man looking to teach her a lesson on value.

Yet, the film manages to teach us the value, not only of material goods and to not take anything for granted, but also the value of a friendship, of the love of another, especially family. I was quite surprised, not remembering the film from the last time I had seen it, just how relevant the film is for being 85 years old, how universal its themes are. The Hitchcock touch/fingerprint is more apparent here than it was in The Ring as well. The melodrama still makes it a mixed bag, but there are Hitchcockian elements to the story and delivery that ware unmistakable. It creates a solid artistic vision of the story. Hitchcock certainly raises the level of the material with his direction this time around. I think movie-goers of the era would have found a happy medium between basic, melodramatic entertainment and a fairly unified artistic vision. Solid.

Rating: *** - Good

Same as previous comments on Alfred Hitchcock: The Legend Begins boxset.

Despite a favorable review, I would still file this in the FOR SALE bin on an individual basis. That being said, my warmer reception to this film does potentially strengthen the case for the overall boxset.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:20:21 AM by Corndog »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »

Easy Virtue
1928 | 79 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

A bit of an interesting sort, this one. I sat down and tried to watch it, wasn't in the mood. Then I sat down again and I was in plenty the mood to enjoy a film, yet I didn't. What is even more, upon looking at what I wrote in my initial review of the film from a few years back, I thought it was alright. But this time around, I did not enjoy myself. Based on a play by Noel Coward, the story is follows Larita Filton (Isabel Jeans), who has just recently come out of a scandalous affair in which she was romantically linked with the man who killed her husband, who left her a good sum of money in his will. Essentially shamed out of her home, Larita escapes to the Mediterranean where she meets John Whittaker (Robin Irvine), who falls deeply in love with Larita and proposes marriage to her, not knowing of her past. But when she returns with John to him home in England, John's mother, Mrs. Whittaker, has suspicions of a secret past for Larita.

The question is can we really start all over again and have a second chance. For this reason, the film itself is actually fairly interesting. And the last few scenes of the film become strong in this reflection. But much of the rest of it is a bore. The film opens with a courtroom scene that just does not seem to work. The flow of the proceedings are killed from the beginning. I admire Hitchcock's idea of courtroom drama mixed with dramatic flashbacks of the events, but they don't work. They seem mishandled, which is what made my experience so frustrating. I liked the story, I liked the ideas, but it never came together. For the first time I must say that Hitchcock failed to enhance the material with his style in any way. I don't feel sore about it though, as I know how masterful the director truly is. This just happens to be a misfire. In the end, I felt it slogged its way through interesting material. It never really captured my attention.

Rating: **1/2 - Average

I didn't have the highest of expectations for this one. Even though my reexamination of Champagne proved favorable, I still didn't remember liking this one much, which just means it didn't settle well since my original rating was a half star higher in my initial Hitchcock marathon. Anyway, definitely one I would part with without a doubt, but it all hinges, of course, on the rest of the box...

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »
The last shot is good. Other than that, not very memorable.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

The Farmer's Wife
1928 | 129 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

I was a bit worried about this one to be honest. The first time through this set of films I spoke highly of it, yet it has faded a bit not only in mind, but in appreciation. I was worried that perhaps I laid too much praise on it the first time, but I can now say that I didn't. No need to worry. The Farmer's Wife is a good film for sure. While I rated it slightly lower this go around, I still enjoyed the heck out of this, just perhaps found a few more things I didn't like about it this time. Samuel Sweetland (Jameson Thomas) is a farmer in the countryside whose wife has recently passed. Their lone daughter is now set to wed, leaving the farmer inexplicably alone. He decides to search for a new wife, something his late wife told him he ought to do, but the pickings seems slim. His housekeeper and farm hand help him in his task, as Sweetland proposes to multiple women, each encounter filled with the unexpected, and the hilarious. Poor farmer Sweetland. Where will he find his new bride?

Perhaps the hardest thing to process is the comedy. It's funny. Silent comedies often bring Keaton and Chaplin to mind, with their physical prowess. This is not totally dissimilar, but its just the situations Sweetland gets into, and these women's reactions to him. It has such a light feel to it most of the way through, which is why I love Hitchcock so much. He is able to blend genre better than any other filmmaker I've seen, and he does it here with the somewhat oddball comedy. There are, of course, elements that don't work as well as some others, but overall the film succeeds in being funny and heartwarming. I have started to notice the acting style of most of the leads is starting to settle in, and perhaps I am just getting used to seeing silent films again, but Jameson Thomas is fantastic in the lead role here. There is far less overacting than I have seen thus far in the silent. With the leads at the very least.

My biggest beef with the film was that it felt bloated. There are scenes that seem overextended for no reason, moments concentrated on things that do little to entertain or progress the story, which is unlike Hitchcock in my experience. The party for instance, was a big slow down moment. It had good parts, but lasted far too long, which contribute to the much longer runtime of this film, over two hours. And being a silent film, in all honesty, the runtime tried my patience. The good news is this extra time spent allows Hitch to fully develop the story and characters, which is good. The slower pace benefits the content, but it does seem to have a bit too much unnecessary content within the slower pace of the film. With this in mind I always have to wonder about the editing choices of this era. What print was this taken from and was it the true vision of Hitchcock, or some jumbled together bit from whoever got their hands on the print? Always food for thought I suppose, but the film is still strong, a winner.

This is a really borderline entry. I would say the 3 star rating is in the "on the fence" range, could go either way, like with Champagne. Ultimately this would be the type of film that would be first up for reconsideration the next go through if I did keep it, and I am trying to trim the collection to the types of films I have no doubt about. So with my recommendation, and my endorsement, I must cut this film unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:20:21 AM by Corndog »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »

Blackmail
1929 | 84 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

I finally move into the sound era, if only briefly as we regress to The Manxman next. Released first, but following Blackmail alphabetically by year, we have a rare crossover. But alas, Hitchcock's first sound film, what a thrill! And a return to suspense and intrigue from his brief foray into the silent film comedy of The Farmer's Wife. The film starts quite strong, setting up the stage for a fairly strong outing by Hitch, but it slows to a stall position all too soon in a film with a runtime of less than 90 minutes. Alice (Anny Ondra) is seeing Detective Frank Webber (John Longden), of Scotland Yard. But she is growing a bit bored with the relationship as John shows more attention to his job than he does to her. So she decides to go out on him with another man. But when this other man gets her alone, he proves to be a seedy character, which leads Alice to kill him as she defends herself. Have it be, of course, that Frank is on the case, and must soon protect his beloved Alice against the law, and a mystery man who is attempting to blackmail Alice, implicating her in the murder.

The setup is actually quite good, and just typing out that plot synopsis has me excited, yet my reception was not as enthusiastic. I think the biggest problem I had was with the blackmail, which slowed the pace of the film considerably. As Hitchcock learns how to implement sound in his pictures, he stumbles a bit here with too much conversation and not enough true suspense. And on that note, it is clear that the waters are still being tested when it comes to sound. There are some scenes that use it, while others that do not. An interesting blend of the two styles, though it does begin to settle into it more as the film goes along. It comes across as rough around the edges with snippets of conversation that seem inserted only because they can, creating an awkwardness in the actual flow and plot of the film. That being said, the film does some interesting things worth examining.

The psychological aspect of the film was the most consuming of my mind. Alice commits murder, but it was in self defense. It was quite a bit into the film before I finally shifted perspective to that of the times. I was perplexed why she should be fearful when it was only done in self defense. But then I thought about the implications of the era. Would a woman really be believed in a case like this? What rights would she have had? And in this vein the film becomes more believable for one, but also works as a social commentary of the times as a by-product. We are on Alice's side. She did nothing wrong other than protect herself, yet she is hunted by the police. Part of this societal difference leads to the psychological state of Alice, feeling tremendous guilt for what she has done, but it also shows just how much weight can be brought upon taking another's life, even when a last resort in self defense. An interesting insight that may not have been fully examined here, but was evident enough for my own cause of thought on the matter.

These aspects, while interesting, never truly make up for the non-suspenseful parlor scenes, which should have been perfectly suited to Hitchcock's style. I can only imagine what Hitch may have been able to deliver with this material later in his career. He does have some great ideas , including a chase through the British Museum, which allows for some truly magnificent shots, but this should have been far more tense, far more entertaining, and far better than the end result.

This was a bit difficult to swallow actually. I knew going in that the majority of these early Hitchcock's would not make the cut, but c'mon, it's called Blackmail, it's got to be a better Hitch then this! But sadly it's not, and thus, isn't the hardest decision to say this one is gone. I am starting to be fearful of the Legend Begins box set, for I know some real clunkers are on the horizon.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

The Manxman
1929 | 110 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

OK, time to go back for a second, to Hitchcock's last silent film, which means the last silent film in my own personal collection (there a more than a few silents not in my collection I would be proud to have though). The Manxman is a strange bird really. Not dissimilar to Blackmail after it, there is plenty here to like, and plenty done quite well. But there is also a certain amount that didn't work for me. Ultimately what we have is another instance of Hitchcock out of his strengths. He's done a not so hot boxing picture, surprised us with a decent silent comedy, and now he humors us with his rendition of a love triangle. Pete (Carl Brisson), a lowly fisherman, is in love with Kate (Anny Ondra), the daughter of the owner of the local tavern. Her father disapproves of marriage to such a lowly man as Pete, so Pete sets out to make his fortune and come back to wed his love. In the interim, Pete leaves Kate in the hands of childhood friend and rising lawyer Philip (Malcolm Keen). With Pete gone, Kate falls for Philip, the type her father would certainly approve of. But soon Pete returns, ready to wed, which causes problems for everyone involved.

Once again, the setup is good, and the love triangle well established. Most of this is fueled by pretty good performances from all three. Brisson is my favorite, playing the fisherman with such delight and happiness, even in the face of disappointment. It is over the top and so enjoyable. The photography is strong as well, as Hitchcock starts to flex his visual muscles. It is really starting to show in his early films. But what I didn't like was mostly how things eventually got wrapped up. When Pete returns, things start to go downhill and I began to lose interest in the story. What started out as a potential winner slowly regressed into a fairly standard melodrama of a love triangle. I can appreciate it for what it is, certainly, and I'm not sore that I've now seen it twice. But it also doe snot have the type of lasting effect I would hope for from something in my collection.

Not a close decision really. Just not enough there to bring me back to it, despite some good aspects.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »

Juno and the Paycock
1930 | 95 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

Not even sure where to truly start with this particular one. Wow. Set during the Irish revolution, the Boyle family comes into a bit of money from inheritance, and things happen I suppose. I really don't have a whole lot to say about this one other than perhaps avoid it If you can, unless you're some kind of Hitchcockian completionist, or just don't believe Hitch could make a film this poor. There isn't even really any visual flair that we had started to see in some of the other films from Hitchcock during this time period. I think one of the biggest problems with the film is the script, which was adapted by Hitch himself from a stageplay. The format just doesn't do the play any good, whether it was a good play to begin with or not. I always kind of wondered about Hitch as a writer, and he certainly had a hand in the screenplays for his films, but I can now also see why he was never the principle writer. Kind of like Michael Jordan though, just because he was a poor basketball owner, doesn't mean he wasn't still the greatest player of all time. Hitchcock may be a poor screenwriter, but that shouldn't take away from his directorial achievements, this film notwithstanding. The acting style comes across as so stiff and delivered, which does not do anything to add life to an already fairly lifeless story. I was never convinced or intrigued. Ultimately what I found of the film was that it was just a bunch of senseless conversation sitting around the same room. It was quite stale to witness such babbling, I wonder how much of this can be chalked up to an adjustment to the sound era, and how much can be chalked up to just poor filmmaking and decisions. Oh my what a bore.

Rating: ** - Poor

Sadly this is possibly the worst Hitchcock film I've seen. I seem to remember one or two others coming up to being horrendous, so it may not be thee worst, but it is quite poor, and was never in consideration to be kept.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »

Rich and Strange
1931 | 83 Minutes | Unrated
Procurement:

Review:

Perhaps the fare of late has some effect on my enjoyment of this particular film, but so be it. It's not earthshattering, it's not something that completely won me over, but I did get a certain amount of enjoyment out of it, mostly thanks to the strength of the story. Fred (Henry Kendall) and Em (Joan Barry) are a married couple growing tired of their low class life, living without the excitement of the rich. But when Fred's uncle leaves them a bit of money, Fred takes them on a worldwide cruise to find their happiness. Soon Fred and Em both find themselves new friends, and their disconnect continues until a disastrous event brings them back together. Their riches never really benefiting their situation, they find their love is what bonds them to whatever happiness they ever had. Bit of a cheesy scenario really, but it manages to work out well enough. There are, however, elements of the story that just flat out don't work. The most egregious offense being the characterizations.

The performances are all right, but Fred is completely unsympathetic, a bit whiny, and even a jerk. On the other hand Em is shown as such a sweetheart. Without any real change of heart seen throughout much of the film, their relationship strain is evident, but I don't buy their true love of each other for a second, which is problematic given the romantic implications later on in the film. What is strong is the connection I found between this film and one of Hitch's earlier works, Champagne, another which I enjoyed. The idea that money does not bear happiness, enjoying and appreciating what we have, who we have. Em displays this gracefully in her light mood and magnetic personality. It seems to ask the question "what defines our lives?" It asks it, though it doesn't examine it to much depth really, which is a bit unfortunate. Instead we get a fairly quaint little film, one that's enjoyable, and features some silly humor at times.

Some of the technical delivery from Hitch is a bit clumsy though. The editing for one throws me for a loop. It is quite fast paced, choppy and frenetic, which is just bizarre. But another fumble is the title cards inserted between scenes. We've finally gotten to the era of sound, and there are evidently some growing pains, the title cards being one of them. Their use recalls the times of the silent era, where things needed spelled out at time, but here, Hitchcock decides not to trust his audience much, which makes for a somewhat annoying experience anytime we get those inserts. He flexes some suspense and mood muscles near the end though, as our couple is stranded on a derelict boat. The setting is quite eerie and effective, though with the fluffiness of some of the rest of the film, it does feel a bit out of place. Ultimately it does enough interesting things, and brings about the right contemplation points for the story to carry much of the film, but Hitch does it very little favors along the way. At the end I suppose all we have is ourselves, and each other. Lucky for me, I also have some other Hitchcock films that are much more in the classic vein.

This is very low end 3 star for me, very nearly classified it as 2.5, which means it's not a keeper, though I did enjoy it enough.

love