Poll

I prefer to watch a Studio Ghibli film...

In it's original Japanese with subtitles.
21 (61.8%)
Dubbed into English.
7 (20.6%)
It really doesn't matter.
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Studio Ghibli: English or Japanese  (Read 11422 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Studio Ghibli: English or Japanese
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
The Ghibli dubs are certainly unique because of the care given to them.  The Miyazaki ones were also approved by him.  So I have more confidence in these dubs than any others out there.  I have been learning that reading subs gives one a different perspective on some of the scenes, and certainly the acting is different.  But I still stand by the dubs of this Studio.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2015, 04:29:27 AM »
Approval is different than directing/leading though. That Miyazaki has agreed to those dubs means he is content with the final work, not that it is absolutely true to the original -assuming that's what you care about. I have immense respect for Miyazaki as an artist, but without explicit knowledge of his criteria any trust in his approval is mostly blind. He could have a tendency to westernize his works, even if I doubt that is the case.

If you take the Certified Copy argument, which is an interesting one, then you are left with a choice between two equally valid works of art. I would always go for the original one because I am more interested in Miyazaki's directing than Docter's or Lasseter's or any other Western dubber, however good a director he may be. And, now this may be pure prejudice, I feel an original version is more genuine to the movie than a foreign one.

For the American crowd (ie almost everyone) : Do you think Americans tend to be more reluctant to agree to subtitles than foreigners -who often have little choice in the matter ?

NB : It's refreshing to have a discussion about dubbing that doesn't revolve around how impossibly difficult it is to read all those words on the screen as fast as they appear.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015, 06:32:01 AM »
Who watched Jules et Jim recently? Didn't it feel like reading a textbook at high speed?

Btw it's a universal thing. American films seem badly recorded coz I can't hear the words so a subtitles track is useful even if English is your first language

Whereas I felt Starred Up wasn't appreciated so much if the dialogue wasn't native. I should think someone said "do one" at some point during that film noff. When they were being polite.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
American films seem badly recorded coz I can't hear the words so a subtitles track is useful even if English is your first language

Agreed.

Whereas I felt Starred Up wasn't appreciated so much if the dialogue wasn't native.

Double agreed.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 09:48:59 AM »
For the American crowd (ie almost everyone) : Do you think Americans tend to be more reluctant to agree to subtitles than foreigners -who often have little choice in the matter ?

Doesn't Russia dub every single film?  Or is that a misconception I picked up somewhere?  I think I've heard the same thing about a couple of other countries.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »
I know France does but they also have original versions. What you get depends on the cinema or the projection you choose.

And I think all movies dub all animated movies and children movies.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
NB : It's refreshing to have a discussion about dubbing that doesn't revolve around how impossibly difficult it is to read all those words on the screen as fast as they appear.

It's equally refreshing to not have it revolve around someone being less cultured if they watch the dubbed version.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »
I watched Starred Up with subtitles on but I only used them when I needed to. How cool does that make me?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »
I watched Starred Up with subtitles on but I only used them when I needed to. How cool does that make me?

Like, cockney cool.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »
I'll take it?