Author Topic: Prisoners  (Read 3892 times)

Totoro

Re: Prisoners
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
He never went beyond redemption for you? What would he had to do, kill Paul Dano's character? He practically did. Those injuries would never sustain a week, especially without food and bandages. He would have been dead after that ordeal.

But no! Good as new says the newspaper!  ::)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
I think until you're in such extreme circumstances it's unrealistic to say what you would or would not do. So without knowing one way or another I think it would be presumptuous for me to say "he went too far when he did x".

But to look at it another way, it's fair to say he's doing things he would absolutely not be doing if it weren't for the crazy circumstances. He would never kidnap and beat up Dano if it weren't for his children being missing.

Can you say the same of Dano's character? Would he still be viciously strangling his own dog without the slightest bit of remorse if it were just any other day? I believe he would. That didn't look like first-time animal cruelty to me. If it was, it was a tremendous coincidence Jackman happened to be sitting there in his truck witnessing it. More likely he abuses the dog every day.

Now which character is beyond redemption, the one who commits torture regardless of the circumstances, or the one who commits torture only in these extreme circumstances?

One? Both? Neither?

It's complicated.

My feeling, based on all there is to know, is that neither character is beyond redemption. But that's just a feeling, and it's based on incomplete information. We're not deep enough in either characters' head to know for sure whether they WANT redemption (or in Dano's case whether he even has the mental capactiy to want it).

In Jackman's case I don't think he wanted to do what he did. He clearly didn't enjoy it. I think if his kids had turned up after the first day of torture and cleared Dano's character of having anything to do with it, I think Jackman would regret his actions. His character didn't seem so disconnected from humanity to me that he wouldn't feel bad about torturing an innocent person. I think he would. And maybe at the end of movie he does. We don't get to see his reaction to finding out the whole truth, or how he comes to terms with his actions.

I'll say this, there wasn't enough there to for me put his character beyond redemption. It was up in the air the whole time. And it's a question that the conclusion of the film did not resolve for me. So in summary, no he was not beyond redemption.

If he had killed Dano it would make it that much harder to come back from (assuming he wanted to come back from it). If he did want to, than I don't think you could say he is beyond redemption, just that much further from getting it. But again, it all depends on his wanting redemption, and that's something we never get know, just deduce. If he had killed Dano it would be harder to make that deduction because the action is so much more extreme. Or it might stretch a person's willingness to suspend judgement too far.

It's a good question.

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
I liked it.

My favorite thing about it those shots of trees and the opening shot. They all capture the theme I'll probably get really sick of, but appreciate now: Mourning of sin/loss of innocence in the world. Otherwise, great storytelling, cinematography, and performances. I was very disturbed, but its a disturbing world, so Villeneuve did his job.

In an attempt to re-sensitize me, I will now go watch The Andy Griffith Show.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:40:01 PM by JakeIsntFake »
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »
I have to find time to finish this one of these days.

When I started watching, my first thought about the film was that it was so beautifully shot. So much so that the cinematography in this might be my favorite of 2013 (either this or Inside Llewyn Davis). Roger Deakins is indeed a master of his craft.

As the father of a young child, much of what I've watched so far was so difficult to sit through. One thing is certain, the film is great at getting an emotional response from its audience.

So far, I stopped at the part where Hugh Jackman's character boarded up Paul Dano's character in the bathroom of the abandoned house.

(why does Paul Dano seem to always get beaten up in almost everything I've seen him in btw?!)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
I have to find time to finish this one of these days.

When I started watching, my first thought about the film was that it was so beautifully shot. So much so that the cinematography in this might be my favorite of 2013 (either this or Inside Llewyn Davis). Roger Deakins is indeed a master of his craft.

As the father of a young child, much of what I've watched so far was so difficult to sit through. One thing is certain, the film is great at getting an emotional response from its audience.

So far, I stopped at the part where Hugh Jackman's character boarded up Paul Dano's character in the bathroom of the abandoned house.

(why does Paul Dano seem to always get beaten up in almost everything I've seen him in btw?!)

No need for spoiler tags in the Spoiler edition thread... that being said, it is the one thing Dano does well that is believable

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »
Prisoners Is Terrible: A Listicle

1/5

I don't love the movie or anything, but I would have to disagree. I don't care enough abiut this one to explain why though, if that's okay.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/