Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (2013-2016)  (Read 961895 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #2230 on: June 29, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
A couple of recent rewatches with some thoughts worth sharing.

Watching Chicken Run again has me wondering what happened to Aardman Animation? After Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) there was the really bad Flushed Away (2006) the underwhelming Arthur Christmas (2011) and the lazy Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (2012). The animation and especially the writing has lost all its fresh charm. Is it because none of those last 3 were directed by Nick Park? He needs to get back to work, having only made 2 short films since Were-Rabbit.

Disney's Peter Pan is the largest tumble in quality I've had between viewings. I always put the film towards the top of Disney's Animated Features for the rollicking pirate adventure, Captain Hook and Tick-Tock the crocodile. Tick-tock remains one of my favorite Disney characters. I love how he manages to be equally menacing and funny, with wrinkles on his arms to suggest rolled-up sleeves.

However, I've become confused by the portrayal of females in the film. There portrayed as a shallow and jealous bunch to the point of being outright witches. A pack of negative role models. Wendy is jealous of Tigerlilly, the mermaids try to drown Wendy and Tinkerbell's primary emotion is jealous possessiveness. She repeatedly tries to kill Wendy. It's ugly portrayal of women is more shameful than Song of the South's view of slave life.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #2231 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
This really has nothing to do with this film, but I feel a need to talk about something.  The thing is: I feel like I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm for movies.  It's increasingly rare for me to come away from a movie excited about it, can't wait to tell folks about it, trying to decide what to take off my top 100 to make room for it.  My most enthusiastic reviews lately have been for rewatches, films that I already had affection for.  The only new (to me) movie I've given a score of 90 or above all year has been Remember the Night.  I like to post my top 20 discoveries at the end of the year.  Last year the lowest score on my top 20 discoveries was 87.   So far this year (already halfway done) I've only got five that meet that benchmark.  Even lowering the bar to 83 only gives me a top 11.  Maybe just through sheer volume I've already discovered most of the films that I'm likely to love... or maybe I've become too jaded and critical.

I can't anticipate ever running out of rabbit holes I want to run down in cinematic discoveries, but I did hit a point of waning enthusiasm maybe a year ago. Ultimately I love watching movies and I think I was just making too much homework for myself. Watch a movie, rate it/check it on 17 different websites, write a review, read a couple critics. When applicable I'd take a look at my top 100 and wonder how the hell to judge a mesmerizing movie from one decade and country vs. a slick movie from another. Found myself somewhat overwhelmed by my own hobby. Threw out my Top 100 which I hated; stopped flickchart, cricketer, letterboxd accounts; and stopped writing reviews I didnt care to (basically all of them).

Forum CPR thread makes me feel a bit guilty. I read almost everything that gets posted on this board and put only minimal amounts back in (I like the group marathons .... and wish we did more Bracket and Rating Project stuff still). But havent been much in the mood recently to contribute elsewhere. I'd rather just watch the next movie in my watchlist.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2232 on: June 29, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Disney's Peter Pan is the largest tumble in quality I've had between viewings. I always put the film towards the top of Disney's Animated Features for the rollicking pirate adventure, Captain Hook and Tick-Tock the crocodile. Tick-tock remains one of my favorite Disney characters. I love how he manages to be equally menacing and funny, with wrinkles on his arms to suggest rolled-up sleeves.

However, I've become confused by the portrayal of females in the film. There portrayed as a shallow and jealous bunch to the point of being outright witches. A pack of negative role models. Wendy is jealous of Tigerlilly, the mermaids try to drown Wendy and Tinkerbell's primary emotion is jealous possessiveness. She repeatedly tries to kill Wendy. It's ugly portrayal of women is more shameful than Song of the South's view of slave life.
And you didn't even touch on the terrible portrayal of Native Americans.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2233 on: June 29, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
That gets into a much larger ongoing issue, like this brief moment in Snow White most people don't even remember. The gender issues in Peter Pan are - dare I say - new to my sensibilities.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2234 on: June 29, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
Devil's Knot (2013)  --  West of Memphis (2012)

I'm not real familiar with Atom Egoyan but it still came as a surprise when I saw his name attached to this project. Clearly Exotica gave me a very particular impression and now I'm finding out he has other interests. I'm glad because Exotica was not for me at all, and I've been hesitant to try any of his other films because of it.

The west Memphis three story is not one I knew anything about, outside of the name being vaguely familiar. I guess the Paradise Lost phenomenon of the 90's made it's way into my brain at some point. The Dramatization proved to be a pretty good introduction to what happened.

This is such a loaded cast it makes me wonder if some of the actors semi-volunteered their time for the cause. What I don't remember is ever hearing anything about this movie when it was in theaters. In fact only just heard about it a few weeks ago.

I don't give it a super strong recommendation, but it is compelling in the way these true stories about wrongful convictions always are. It's a difficult movie to end because the events surrounding the case are still ongoing, but it feels whole.

The documentary fills in details the movie didn't get around to. Despite being made a year earlier it has more up to date information. The film is about the events and the trial, and the documentary kind of takes over from there. It's informative and compelling and important, and could be watched on it's own without needing further context.

Both works do justice to their cause.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2235 on: June 29, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »

Al primo soffio di vento (At the First Breath of Wind) - So I started going through my watchlist, picking out movies that were likely to strike a chord with me.  This one seemed promising, it sounded lovely and meditative.  Then I realized that the director, Franco Piavoli, is the same guy who did the empty, awful The Blue Planet.  But I stuck with it anyway.  More and more lately I've been bailing out on movies that didn't grab me.  This time I decided to see it through to the end.  That was a mistake, and now I feel obliged to share my mistake with you.

The setting is an Italian farmhouse.  There's a family there.  Father has some sort of interest in genetics.  Mother is writing some poetry in her head.  One daughter plays the piano.  The other daughter romps around in nature.  A grandfather is apparently dying in bed.  An older woman, maybe a grandmother, goes to meet a train, apparently looking for someone.  Two African dudes do all the work on the farm.

This movie seems like it's trying a little harder than Blue Planet to have a message.  It's saying something, but goddamnit, it's not saying it very well.  Is it about how our differences comfort us but also isolate us, as father writes about?  Is the dying old guy supposed to make us contemplate our mortality?  Are the African dudes oppressed?  Father has a nightmare that begins with black people in a library, so maybe it's a statement about how the idle white folks are exploiting other races.  I dunno.

There's a lot of shots of people staring into space.  Most of the time they look bored.  That's fair.  Why should I be the only one?  There's also a lot of shots of cats.  Sometimes they look bored too, but I can look at bored cats all day long.  I love cats.  There's five of them in my house.  You would be within your rights to call that a CINECAST!load of cats.  One of them doesn't even like people.  From the time she was a few weeks old, I fed her, gave her shelter and a box to pee in.  And she wants nothing to do with me.  What do you with a cat like that?  Sometimes I wonder if we'd both be better off if I just opened the door and let her go.  But I couldn't do that.  I care about her, even though she seems to think I'm constantly trying to murder her.

So, cats are nice.  It's a movie with a lot of pretty pictures.  The nature girl has red hair.  Red and green are complementary colors.  Put a redhead in a green field and it's going to look nice, guaranteed.  Pretty, pretty pictures.  People looking bored.  Cats.  Weird nightmare out of nowhere.  Old dude in a bed.  There's got to be a point to this.  Right?  Don't tell me, I don't care.  Congratulations, Franco Piavoli.  I've now seen a worse film this year than James and the Giant Peach.  Rating: Crap (24)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #2236 on: June 29, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
Devil's Knot (2013)  --  West of Memphis (2012)

Yeah, I didn't hear of any theater near me that actually played Devil's Knot.  I'm pretty ambivalent about it after hearing Kermode's review, but I've got it in the Netflix queue, as I promised to watch it (see last paragraph and comments below A Skeptic's Guide to the West Memphis Three Documentaries).
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2237 on: June 29, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
The gender issues in Peter Pan are - dare I say - new to my sensibilities.

I'm having an impact.  :D

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2238 on: June 30, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »
The best part of Transformers: Age of Extinction?

The end.

Wow what a long hard slog.
I have a 10 yr old I HAD to go...
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2239 on: June 30, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »
Yea, hearing that makes me feel bad about dragging my Dad to go see The Phantom Menace when I was that age.

love