Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (2013-2016)  (Read 973458 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #6230 on: August 31, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
I would like to know how it is outside the timeline because I disagree. And by all means do geek out.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #6231 on: August 31, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »
No. It's boring.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #6232 on: August 31, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »
In order to improve my cinematic culture, I've decided on a somewhat ridiculous method which involves various lists and random.org. Tonight, I landed on this (by virtue of it having won the Oscar for that year).

A Man for All Seasons (Fred Zinnemann, 1966)

While it is by no means an accurate depiction of Thomas More (let's just say you wouldn't want to cast him as a mostly sympathetic protagonist), A Man for All Seasons is a great reflexion on morality and faith, on how these work together and against another, on the temporal versus the spiritual. And even though the movie does clearly pick a side by the end, it leaves enough leeway and gives the antagonists enough consideration that it didn't feel completely didactic to me. Cromwell is an antagonist, yes, but he still has some principles, or he wouldn't have to use John Hurt's Rich (now that's a clear villain) and he wouldn't try so hard to get More to say something incriminating. It's possible I'm giving it too much credit, but I certainly felt ambiguous about More's stand, and wrestled with it the whole time through, which is what matters in the end.

It also features amazing performances, most notable of which is of course Paul Scofield in the main role, but also Leo McKern, Robert Shaw (correctly hamming it up as Henry VIII) and Orson Welles ! The dialogue is delightful and witty, really its only flaws are the rather uninspired direction (it might as well be a filmed play) and the decision to add a short but inelegant epilogue.

9/10
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #6233 on: August 31, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
Kati With An I (2010)

I have no real qualms with this as a piece of film in terms of enjoyment. It was a captivating enough look at a teenage girl on the bring of graduation...and some serious relationship decision. I try to avoid elitism regarding that particular turn, but my real problem is that these personal documentaries are a tricky thing to begin with. I'm of the view that Grey Gardens is not a moral piece of cinema because it feels exploitative of the two women in focus. To the degree that this kind of voyeuristic documentary might be justified is if it has greater social relevance. I'm not sure this really gets there.

C

I can't comment on "Kati With An I", but I agree that Grey Gardens feels exploitative. In addition to that, I have a hard time getting behind the notion of documentaries about personalities that are only being documented because of their personality, and not because of something they did. It's like when someone at your job thinks all of the people there are crazy enough that "someone should write a book about this place".

I also would have preferred if Grey Gardens were just 90 minutes of the raccoons eating bread in the attic.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6234 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:17 PM »
The Beaches of Agnes

After many rough starts, Sandy and I watched this autobiography of Agnes Varda together while chatting.  I'll spare you the spotty conversation we had and just give you the meat.

What I most love about Agnes is her voice.  Not her physical voice, but her writing voice, that which makes her presentation unique.  She is such a pleasure to listen to, a pleasure to let her ramble and carry on about nothing in particular.  Her mind is so complex and filled with extraordinary detail.  In presenting her life, she will talk about things that had little or nothing to do with her at all, like river jousting or Harrison Ford's dead in the water acting career.  About how, as a girl, she and her fellow students in an all girls school would sing to the founder "we, all your sons."  Not the sort of thing that is significant in a biography.  But fascinating, and fun.  At the end of the film, I knew a lot of details about her life, but don't ask for a summary of the events of her life.  I'm not sure.

Visually, the scattered details are also present.  She might present a number of photos of her family, a set of cards that happened to include her and her husband Jacques Demy, a variety of knick-knacks that could be from her childhood that she picked up at a flea market or an office that is set up on a beach.  She is full of imagination and joy and she has no time to spend on her husband's death of AIDS, her movies that were set aside, or the passing of old friends.  There is so much to show, so much to see.

It's just like spending an afternoon with your grandma.  If your grandma were still bright, full of energy and happened to be a key director of the French New Wave.  What a great time.

4/5

American Ultra

Here is the germ of the idea: A pothead is secretly a super-violent assassin, only he doesn't know it.  You see that much in the trailer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLGFwkRx2HA

If you liked what you saw in the trailer-- well, the movie is just full of more of this.  If you think the trailer is pretty stupid-- save your money.  My wife and I saw the trailer.  We liked it.  Despite mediocre Rotten Tomatoes scores, we took a chance at seeing it in the movie.    We had a great time.  Kristen Stewart being all serious and Jesse Eisenberg being all dumb-like and action-like, but not a hero because he isn't really aware of his actions until after he's done and he tries to figure it all out.  That's funny.  The writing is sometimes good.  But if you don't like the idea, you won't like the movie.  It's pretty simple.

For some reason, I've had My Blue Heaven running around in my head since the film.  But it fits the mood of the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSU-LxwfgE

That plus a lot of graphic violence.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6235 on: August 31, 2015, 08:28:13 PM »
I will check out American Ultra on Netflix or whatever because I do think it looks pretty good but not good enough to see in theaters. I'm glad that the trailer is indicative of its quality.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #6236 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
The Beaches of Agnes

After many rough starts, Sandy and I watched this autobiography of Agnes Varda together while chatting.  I'll spare you the spotty conversation we had and just give you the meat.

What I most love about Agnes is her voice.  Not her physical voice, but her writing voice, that which makes her presentation unique.  She is such a pleasure to listen to, a pleasure to let her ramble and carry on about nothing in particular.  Her mind is so complex and filled with extraordinary detail.  In presenting her life, she will talk about things that had little or nothing to do with her at all, like river jousting or Harrison Ford's dead in the water acting career.  About how, as a girl, she and her fellow students in an all girls school would sing to the founder "we, all your sons."  Not the sort of thing that is significant in a biography.  But fascinating, and fun.  At the end of the film, I knew a lot of details about her life, but don't ask for a summary of the events of her life.  I'm not sure.

Visually, the scattered details are also present.  She might present a number of photos of her family, a set of cards that happened to include her and her husband Jacques Demy, a variety of knick-knacks that could be from her childhood that she picked up at a flea market or an office that is set up on a beach.  She is full of imagination and joy and she has no time to spend on her husband's death of AIDS, her movies that were set aside, or the passing of old friends.  There is so much to show, so much to see.

It's just like spending an afternoon with your grandma.  If your grandma were still bright, full of energy and happened to be a key director of the French New Wave.  What a great time.

4/5

There was so much interesting and beautiful stuff in this that I feel like I need to watch it a few more times to really take it all in. I thought the office in the sand on the street was so fantastic. It's the banal as seen through such a specific personal lens.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #6237 on: August 31, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
oldkid, as I was telling you that words were eluding me in regards to this documentary, I knew that you would be able to find them and I was so right! You were able to piece together the cavalcade of images and words into something discernible. Thank you.

Jeff, you too! "a specific personal lens." Yes. such a personal view.

My words are neither discernible nor organized, but I want to add my experience with the movie... Images are what I'm left with. Sand and sea and mirrors reflecting the sky. Beautiful bodies and earthy themes. Faded pictures of family and door frames of places from long ago. Agnès with arms raised and feeling the air as she turns, lost in thought...

Varda both creates rest and anxiety in me. I find her restful because she is completely at ease in her own skin. Her thoughts and feelings are all her own and she validates each and every one. I have anxiety, because of all the clutter. So many found treasures and whimsical tangents. I get overwhelmed and wish to take a breath. I see the whale she wanted created on the beach and I know the man hours it took to make it. I've worked with visionaries before and the "beautiful rainbows" they create, have to be created in reality too. So much work, logistically. But I see the happiness in her face with her creations brought to life and I know the people are pleased with her pleasure. And that brings me rest, again.

I tend to look forward, but the movie teaches me to look back and to look in. I won't forget to do these things.

Thanks so much for the movie night, oldkid!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #6238 on: August 31, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »
A Man for All Seasons (Fred Zinnemann, 1966)

Great review, Teproc! I love this film. I think you're right about the direction; still, the dialogue and actors are so wonderful, aren't they? For me - and perhaps for you, too - they overwhelm any blandness.

Lovely reflections on Beaches of Agnes, oldkid and Sandy. Varda - what a treasure she is.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #6239 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »

Trainwreck (Judd Apatow, 2015)

Such a great film! I felt like I needed to see something funny to cheer myself up, and Amy Schumer seemed like the perfect remedy. Right from the moment this film starts you know this is not a traditional rom-com. It is a comedy with romantic tendencies, that really only falls into the rom-com pit near the end. At least the ride there is awesome, and the pay-off at the end still makes you feel good, even though it seems unrealistic.

The awkward sex scenes and awkward post-sex scenes were fantastic. The dialogue throughout this film was great, and Amy pulls it off well. I didn’t even realise Tilda Swinton was in this film until I saw the credits - she is such a chameleon. Bill Hader was great - I totally laughed when he said his ex called him Dexter - I couldn't get that out of my head for the rest of the film. I loved the comparison of monogamy to dolls, it is a perfect comparison. This film suggests that Amy has changed, but does she really change? Really? It is kind of swept under the rug with one grand gesture that suggests that she is at least trying. Judging by her track record she will never cope in a monogamous relationship, and I think it is folly for her to try. They will both end up miserable if it ends the way the film suggests. I think a more realistic ending for Amy to be truly happy would be for her to convince Aaron to try a non-monogamous relationship model, otherwise they will be back arguing again in a couple of weeks, probably breaking up before the year is out. Better to be invested in ethical non-monogamy than cheating monogamy. Mainstream film viewers are perhaps not ready for that yet. Maybe that film will come out in the next decade. Until then, this film is fine :)
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

love