Author Topic: colonel_mexico's poem thread  (Read 10503 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: colonel_mexico's poem thread
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 05:21:44 AM »
Foolish Paradise (Beginning Part 3)

Corpus Christi, Texas a small city by most standards, but big enough to have an influence that borderlined a stranglehold over south Texas.  While the local police were blind to most things, the Highway troopers, Immigration enforcement, and the DEA all seemed to have an opinion which rarely aligned with the others, but would always err on the side of so-called justice.  Corpus Christi had it's fair share of influential citizens, the owners of Whataburger had a large home on Ocean Drive, the president of the double-A baseball team had lavish parties at the Omni hotel, and there was one man who everybody knew and loved, but rarely interacted with outside of social and charity events.  Sergio Montalvo was a wealthy oil man according to his IRS records and his wealth seemed in accordance with such a business.  This morning Senor Montalvo was having a meeting with someone that no one in the IRS or anyone in the Federal Government knew about, but would certainly spark more than a keen interest.  "Hello Mr. Guerra, a surprising visit to be sure, but a pleasant one...I hope."  Mr. Guerra was a quiet, almost unassuming man, but his shadow wasn't lost by anyone, including the darkness, "Senor Montalvo it concerns your son.  We know that he has nothing to do with the business, but we have a severe concern with an indiscretion by your son."  Senor Montalvo leaned back, and just gazed into the distance.  Any fringe player of the Corpus Christi social and business scene knew that Senor Montalvo had no children.

Sandy had lived in Cedar Creek, Texas for almost 3 years ever since her son had passed away from complication of leukemia.  Richie would have been 7 this year and Sandy remembered in her own way.  She had tended bar at Foolish Pleasure for just over 2 years, it was an easy job and was far away from Austin.  Sandy hated the city with all the society types, particularly her husband who was an insurance analyst trying to climb to a vice presidency.  Schism occurred due to long hours at the hospital and Sandy's pure love of wanting to be with her son the entire time.  Richard Sr wasn't a completely bad man, but his love had a limit and as a first time father and a part time adulterer made it easy for him to check out.  Sandy had given him a black eye at the funeral when he wept, she knew the depth of his love and shallow ends don't deserve full depths of pain.  A friend let her stay in a trailer on a small patch of dirt off 183 near Austin Bergstrom International Airport and she found the solace she needed.  To sate simple needs a small bar down the road was the place she called work and while the drunks were continuous, they were usually harmless.  Today was interesting as a well dressed, good looking tall drink of water entered the bar and ordered two beers.  Sandy was polite, "How are you doing today stranger?" handing over the two beers and taking a crisp 20 from his hand.  "I'm fine thank you ma'am."  The tall man tipped generously and Sandy couldn't help herself, "Thank you sir, I'm Sandy, if you need anything else just let me know."  "Thanks, I'm Buck, but this should do."  Shaking her head Sandy wondered what to think, scary or something special.  Silly thoughts, she began her daily beer inventory. 

Three Rivers, Texas was a small town that suddenly found itself in the midst of a huge oil boom.  Fracking had swept through south Texas like a plague and Henry 'Red' Fitzgerald found himself in a brand new Holiday Inn right off I-37.  Red was a Marine, they were never ex Marines, but now worked as a roughneck after a less than proud exit from the military.  His roommate he had despised at first, a dark Mexican who chatted on and on like he would die if his mouth was closed longer than a few moments.  But Chapalo was cool, not being more than 5 foot 4 he was strong as almost any man he had ever encountered.  Working the rigs in Odessa proved how tough Chapalo was and a knife fight in a bar in Laredo showed his loyalty.  Red had grown up on the Gulf town of Mobile, Alabama and everything he had been brought up to believe faded quickly in the Texas heat.  Chapalo was from Corpus Christi and always talked about the money that could be made down there.  There was an oil guy that didn't really deal in oil and they could make their 3 years salary in 3 months.  Chapalo talked about a lot of things, but Red always sensed that as many lies Chapalo told, truth lurked and if it lived well a better life might be there.  Red went to the mini-fridge and grabbed a beer and threw one at Chapalo who was silent because of slumber.  The can hit Chapalo in the back "Aye Cabron!"  Red laughed "Wake up Chapalo it's Sunday holmes, time for mucho cervezas guey."  Chapalo looked angrily at Red, livened up picking up the beer, and started blabbing away.  Red sipped his cold brew.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:46:19 AM by colonel_mexico »
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »
Ha! I always suspected that I'd have a decent left hook, so am particularly happy that I get to share a name with a character that landed a jab, producing a well deserved black eye. :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
Lol well I'm glad you liked it Sandy :)  yeah she's had a rough road and while I'm not sure which way I'm going with it yet, I imagine things might get a little tougher....
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »
 :D

I'm sure she'd say, "Bring it on!"

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 02:26:16 AM »
Lovely language, colonel!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »
Hey OldKid thanks so much for reading!  Yeah I love to write and I was hoping to at least finish my introduction before going out of town, but as my usual plague I have gotten stuck and don't know where to go lol....it's funny having an ending to a story and not knowing how to get there LOL!  Thanks again for reading :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 04:04:37 AM »
Foolish Pleasure (A Beginning Part 4)- this will conclude the beginning and I hope to post chapter 1 soon, thanks to all who read

Round Rock, Texas Colonel (retired) Jesse James Rowe who was known as JR to his friends enjoyed cigars at the Aliante Club and the Sky Bar off 6th street in downtown Austin.  JR was known to have lunch with University of Texas athletic director Deloss Dodds and he received a Christmas card from the Mack Brown family.  Jesse was another silent figure of a world whose grimy wanderlust made for a beautiful Texas.  JR retired from an Army Ranger outfit, though the particulars were never clear, even from the drunken moments of clarity he delivered upon whatever audience he found himself amongst.  JR's ace in the hole was his not so young little brother who was Chief of Police of the Travis County metro police department.  Jason John Rowe had started out life as a drunk and with some help along the way found sobriety and anger.  Jason had lost something special to him and now when he could inflict similar pain he did, but he had noble desires.  His older brother Jesse was the patriarch and while he did not approve of his activities, Jason appreciated the desires of a town that should be civil, orderly, and done the Texas way.  Every week he went to church at Our Lady of Guadalupe, (his Catholic leaning was from his lost wife, something that everyone ignored, but did not approve of) he silently cried his sins to Laura and hoped for a self-imposed venegance. Jason needed to lunch with his brother, something was happening with his daughter that he found rather alarming.   

North Austin, Texas, a fine home purchased on good, going great credit by Trenton Owen Esquire, he loved the Esquire even though no lawyer had used that term in any capacity for at least a century.  Trent Owen, also called T.O. by his friends, had come to make an impact on the Austin political scene.  His family truly were wealthy oil people of the Sweetwater and Odessa persuasion.  Trent remembered having Thanksgiving dinner with Powers Boothe the famous actor.  The Owen family were here to remove the corrupt influences of the South Texas and Mexican cartels, the corrupt judges and police who operated within in the city, and ultimately the Texas Supreme Court Justices who let it all happen.  The fine line between heroes, cowards, and ingenues are so fine it is sometimes hard to discern, and Mr. Owen Esquire shared traits with all three persuasions that it was hard to know what Mr. Owen truly believed in.  One thing was for certain he had come to play and his chip stack was worth noting.

Las Vegas, Nevada Adam began his ride home, having lost another sizable amount of his small empire of dirt.  He had never deliberately sought out to be a degenerate gambler, but his desire for cards and lust for winning had led him to so many losses that the lust of winning was so whimsical it could have been just a dream.  A phone call had to made, and he only had enough money to maybe make New Mexico, "Damn what would Buck say again?" he thought to himself as he took a sour-sweet pull of a 3 year old that shouldn't be sold outside of a moonshine auction.  Adam wasn't without skills or family, but he know his clock was ticking and chance cards do eventually run out.  Adam lit a cigarette and drove towards Phoenix, "I'll call in a few hours, I can still work," quietly he looked at a duffel bag in the back.

Bluewater Bay, Florida Danny woke up at the bright and early hour of 3 PM.  A cigarette accompanied a morning cough and shudder of another day.  Danny was left a small dock and bar by his father who had served in the Navy for almost 30 years, he had died a year after purchasing the place.  Danny was given full ownership when his brother had decided a woman in Alaska was worth his share and departed without saying goodbye.  Danny loved the small place, but hated everyone who attended his small bar even with their monetary gestures.  His only friend was a guy that had long disappeared, but he knew one day he would appear again in some form.  An old, but sizable 100 foot boat lingered at the end of a makeshift boat slip at the end of Danny's dock was the constant reminder.  Danny walked in and nodded at Lois a Lauren Bacall type that had aged badly, but still could carry a tune.  Danny often wondered why he never made a move on her, but then she wasn't the type to be easily persuaded the drunks in that place were always rebuffed.  "Hey sweetheart, is the boat guy coming down today?"  Not a smile or even a glance, "No Danny, he will be here next week.  I don't know why you care about that old wreck you never go out," she looked up at this, "Unless you want to take me out?"  Danny was always awkward, but covered by being obliviously uncaring, "Sailing is for idiots and Navy pukes."  "Thought your dad was a Navy puke?"  Danny didn't say anything, held up his drink and continued on with, "Boats are for idiots, let's drop it please fill this up and let's get the T.V.s on in here.  Damn, we need the business ok."  Lois shook her head, quietly laughed and refilled a small jigger of a 7 year old whose name is also of unnecessary mention. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:07:06 AM by colonel_mexico »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
I feel like I'm getting a great geography lesson in your introductions, which I'm very happy about. Geography was what I studied in school--people and places, the best! Can't wait to see how all their worlds collide.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
Thanks for reading, I hope while on my travels I can at least begin writing Chapter 1....I will post as soon as I have hashed it out....again thanks so much for reading :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »
Not my best work by any means and mostly stream of consciousness stuff, thanks to all who read....

A Warning and A Prayer

how long can you live a lie?
how long will it take to eat you up inside?
we live this life
any way we like
and when it's never enough
stupid becomes the stuff
we do with no thought
to who or what we hurt
how could we let this burn
because we yearned for
something that's not real
wanted a dream to feel
instead making a nightmare
that seals a dare
whose debt will take far
more then you ever meant
to lose all you care for
gone, lost forevermore
what is pleasure in a moment
when you will spend years in torment
memories shouldn't be regret
they should be love you won't forget
so easy to do what we want
and ignore the right thought
the harder path is wrought
with choices and voices
where are you going in this boisterous
world filled with update status
and pictures of your brand new stratus
one big email/twitter/facebook apparatus
if you were above wouldn't you be mad at us?
these words are a warning
and a prayer, don't let your final morning
be the failure, don't ever waver
let every memory be your favorite
enjoy every moment and those around you
passing through time, just us these few
family and friends passing through
life who love you too
this may seem cliche
but from the experience of my way
it's an honest old man trying to say
i wish i had lived my days
this way, and i wish i could stay

love