Author Topic: Chess!  (Read 15070 times)

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
Chess!
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Now that we have a functional search engine I dare say there is no topic dedicated to the magnificent game of chess, is it possible that I am the only chess player here?  :(
I hope not because I am ready to launch the first Filmspotting Chess Tournament!

By the way: next Saturday will start the World Championship match between the defending champion Viswanathan Anand and the Norwegian phenom Magnus Carlsen, they play in Chennai, India (Anand's hometown).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Chess!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:12:07 PM »
Brilliant idea! I'm in.

Everything I know about chess I learned from Ron Weasley.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »
I love Chess, but I haven't played in years. I'd be down for a Filmspotting Tourney.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:14:17 AM »
I'd definitely be down I play a little.  Actually my father taught me when I was younger, he was really great chess player.  Apparently when my old man was in Riyadh Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War he met Prince Charles who was visiting at the time.  My dad ignored him because he was in the middle of a match lol.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
If you have a beginner division, put me down, otherwise I'll start studying.

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
Letīs see:

- WillMunny
- smirnoff
- Sam the Cinema Snob
- MartinTeller
- colonel_mexico
- Sandy

If someone else intends to play add your name!

In the meantime: where to play?
OK, online, I guess it goes without saying, maybe the best thing to do when we are ready to start is to finalize a schedule and then we let the players decide what chessplaying internet platform to use and compatible playing hours (of course it would be great to do it at the Internet Chess Club, using its tools to create the tournament and live broadcasting facilities  ;D).
The only thing maybe should be the same for every match is the time rate: I propose 15 0

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »
Hope you don't mind me joining late and suggesting Chess.com, since myself and smirnoff still have accounts from the last time we played there. If it fits your plans.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »
I'd add the nice thing about this site is that it has a very workable iPhone app so you can play on the run.

It's your ball but 15 0 is a bit radical if you aren't playing much; 30 0?.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
this is chess verbALs so itīs nobodyīs ball  ;D
30 0 is fine with me, this should be a group decision I think, and if two players decide to play their matchup 3 0 blitz itīs fine too.
I would leave the choice of the playing website to every couple of players involved in a match.
So with verbALs we have 7 players now, I would go with a round robin tournament.

I would wait until Monday November 11 for late joiners
Always on Monday 11 I could post the first round schedule
from that moment onward matched players could make arrangements to play their game
completed games could be viewable in this topic by everyone using some free software like ichess viewer

suggestions and improvements are welcome  ;)