Author Topic: Frozen  (Read 3930 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Frozen
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:46 AM »
Call me a square if you want, but I think Idina Menzel has a fantastic voice, and does great work in that song.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
Call me a square if you want, but I think Idina Menzel has a fantastic voice, and does great work in that song.

Okay, you're a square.  But you are also right.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 05:43:19 PM »
This is my favorite Honest Trailer yet.  (Spoils everything.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5IH57SorQ

I want to be "adorkable".

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:24 PM »
I do always like inflation jokes. Also "Happy now Jezebel?"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
That's great 1SO!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 11:36:12 PM »
Funny.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Frozen - SPOILER
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 11:42:48 PM »
Watched Frozen again tonight, and I couldn't help thinking about how smartly they dealt with Hans (the betrayer Prince). On first viewing, "Love is an Open Door" perfectly sets him up as Anna's equal and puts him right in line with other Disney princes who get about a scene to fall in love with the hero. Watching it again, his behavior doesn't come off as an act but you can easily read that he's going along with her dorkyness. She does something goofy and he responds by saying how much he loves it. The most telling line is

"We finish each other's--"
"Sandwiches."
"That's what I was gonna say."

Besides also being a joke from "Arrested Development", it's the subtle kind of clue you won't catch the first time, but won't miss afterwards. The song takes on a much more evil tone because in most films he would have evil intent but be won over by her dorky charm. However, he doesn't genuinely get smitten by her for a second. What a jerk!

Hans has no obvious tipoff to his true nature on a re-watch. He is a chameleon, matching the company he is with. He is dorky with Anna, heroic when facing Elsa and jerky with the Duke. When I first watched the film, I complained about a void from the lack of a real villain but in Hans there's something really interesting going on.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »
^ My and my wife were talking about that exactly just this weekend! We were in agreement that what was great about his character is that the twist that's he's actually a bad guy is not hinted at at all unlike in a lot of films where the evil nature of a seemingly good character is totally telegraphed.

Even when he's left to watch over Arendell while Anna goes after Elsa, he acts as a noble and kind leader putting the needs of the citizens and instructions of Anna first before anything else.

When I first saw the film and Kristoff was introduced, I was thinking "Wow, that's quite mature for Disney to deal with a love triangle where the two guys are of equal virtue but only one will have to deal with the heartbreak." So when the twist came, I was surprised. The maturity of the filmmakers turned out to be the subtlety and nuance with which they wrote the Hans character.

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 12:04:29 AM »
Besides also being a joke from "Arrested Development"
Also:

;D

EDIT: oh i see of course it was already mentioned earlier :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:07:08 AM by heisenbergman »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 11:18:26 PM »
All 3 ages of Anna are voiced by Kristen Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQg2hxSoWD8#t=61

love