Author Topic: Favorite Shows 2013  (Read 1475 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Favorite Shows 2013
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
Because List!

1. Breaking Bad s5
A powerful ending to a great series. The only show all year that I'd see coworkers run out of the room covering their ears and shouting, "Spoilers!" the morning after an episode aired. Great characters, tremendous suspense, and riveting drama. An all-time great.

2. The Returned s1
Wow. I was intrigued by this French series, and now I'm completely enthralled by it. It's not only atmospheric and ominous, but fantastically suspenseful and despite (possibly because of) it's subdued tone there's very real horror. This is a worthy successor to the Twin Peaks mantle. Favorite discovery of the year.

3. Game of Thrones s3
Epic. GoT just goes for broke with its huge arcs, sinister plots, dastardly deeds, and world-changing battles. Love every minute of it.

4. Rectify s1
A show that is stunning in its quietude. It captures the magic in the mundane as we see the world through the eyes of a man who spent 19 years in a jail cell. It's also captures small town America better than any show I've seen before.

5. Girls s2
What's funny is I really don't like any of these characters. They all annoy me. A lot. Yet, I love this show. It's fun, it's funny, it taps into some truths about youthful ambition and disenchantment.

6. Justified s4
This series hasn't quite hit the highs of season 2 (Margo Martindale - I love you), but it's still great, pulpy fun with acerbic humor and an engaging cast of characters.

7. The Americans s1
Entertaining potboiler with great characters to boot. There's maybe a few too many oscillations in the central characters relationship (seems like every episode one falls back in love with the other and then the other goes cold), but overall it had some of the best action on TV.

8. Mad Men s6
Still one of the most sophisticated dramas on TV. This season felt like it spun its wheels a bit, especially with Don, but it's always an entertaining watch.

9. 30 Rock s7
One of my favorite sitcoms said goodbye and went out on top after a couple so-so seasons.

10. Sleep Hollow s1
Okay, never would I have thought this would make a best-of list when they announced the series. It actually sounded like the dumbest idea I'd ever heard. BUT, this is probably the most fun TV watching this year. The show takes its premise seriously, but goes for broke with supernatural mayhem and mystery. Tom Misone and Nicole Beharie are an amazing pair.

Honorable Mention:

Masters of Sex s1
This started strong and has really great characters, relationships, and a fascinating subject, but each episode seems more glum than the last. The first few episodes had a really great sense of humor to go along with the frayed relationships and pent up frustrations. Hopefully some of that sneaks back into the second half of the season.

Arrested Development s4
Funny thing. I've only seen a smattering of episodes from the first three seasons of AD. That didn't stop me from enjoying this Netflix season. Episodes varied pretty wildly, but when the show was on, it was one of the funniest things on TV (ruffie circle).

Haven't watched/seen enough of:
Adventure Time, Boardwalk Empire, Enlightened, Orphan Black, Veep, The Good Wife, American Horror Story, Treme, Hannibal, Orange is the New Black
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:59:00 PM by philip918 »

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Re: Favorite Shows 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:12:32 AM »
Other than the ones you mentioned Treme's last season is fantastic.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »
I'm really enjoying Elementary season 2.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
Need to finish up AHS, Eric Andre (that one is ongoing), Comedy Bang Bang! (also ongoing), Homeland (one episode left next week), and Boardwalk Empire. Then I shall make a list. And perhaps...something more.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:50:48 AM »
My Top 10...

1. Breaking Bad
2. Masters of Sex
3. Game of Thrones
4. Mad Men
5. House of Cards
6. The Americans
7. Sons of Anarchy
8. Ray Donovan
9. The Walking Dead
10. Boardwalk Empire
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

WillMunny

• ISmokeCigarsBlog
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:09:25 AM »
First comes Game of Thrones

then:
Boardwalk Empire
Masters of Sex
Mad Men
Enlightened

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
I think I only watched about five shows this year so this is just a ranking more than favorites.

1. Orange Is The New Black S1
This was just awesome, one that jumps up on the great seasons of television of all time. Can't wait for more.

2. House of Cards S1
This was pretty enjoyable and one I'll keep watching.

3. Girls S2
The season started with some of the same meh that soured the end of season 1 but I felt by the end of the season it had regained a lot of steam so that I'm back in for S3.

4. The Daily Show (Ongoing)/Real Time with Bill Maher
Especially good were the John Oliver hosted couple of months. Look forward to his HBO show, where he will join Maher, who I don't actually watch as a TV show but listen to as a podcast. Even if Maher annoys at times, his show has good guests and good discussions that are better than many news places.

5. Arrested Development S4
Moments of enjoyment but mostly just a disappointing mess.