Author Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  (Read 4295 times)

Devil

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
I enjoyed the first Hobbit film, though didn't love it, this one however was a poorly paced and drawn out mess. One of my problems with the first one was that the Dwarves and their relationships with one another were barely explored or worked upon. In this one they didn't even exist they were all just targets to shoot arrows at. There is hardly any of the fun, friendship or rivalry that existed in the LOTR films. It has been ages since I read the book but Gandalfs sidestory feels completely  unneeded and poorly implemented, like Jackson is just trying to remind us that this and Lotr take place in the same universe.

I'm sure this was brought up during the first film but I didn't see it in theatres so didn't experience it properly but I hate the 48fps... Like really really hate it. So many aspects look artificial and/or slightly sped up. I'm not sure if it is the result of the high frame rate but some of the CGI looked downright awful at times.

And that blatant cliffhanger ending? Come on!

Though Evangeline Lilly looks adorable as an elf so I guess it's got that going for it.
~You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him~

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »
Aw Devil,

Sadly, I had a very similar experience to the one you did. I'm in the doldrums when it comes to Middle-earth right now. The one bright spot of the film for me was the art direction of Lake-town. It was everything and more of how I imagined it.

Wishing for the return of your electricity!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
This film was enough to bring me out of semi-retirement. I'd like to kick Peter Jackson in the nuts over this film. A love triangle involving a dwarf and an elf?
Legolas? Really?
I understand source material will get changed but he is messing with the inviolate rules of the world. Elven and dwarven love is unatural. Its an abomination against nature.
Hey, nice marmot!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
Elven and dwarven love is unatural. Its an abomination against nature.

NoH8! ;D

I heard that was one of the plotlines they added and filmed new material for once it was decided to make three movies. It's really really bad.

bona fide

• peerlessly self-important and weirdly incoherent
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
We had a very nice family outing seeing this  together but only because of our history of having read the books and having seen the previous movies. No doubt we would have hated it had we not already bought in.

That being said, I was hugely disappointed that Tauriel let Legolas fight the orcs on his own while she tended to the cute dwarf. Damn woman let her fellow warrior down cuz some cutie smiled at her.

Also, Legolas and Gandalf were so much older here than LOTR it was distracting. I know there was nothing that could be done, but boy was it noticeable. I didn't even recognize Legolas at first.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »
A love triangle involving a dwarf and an elf?

I was probably not going to ever see this anyways, but now it's for sure.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
Spare yourself the pain and frustration...
OAD - you are a Tolkien-phile - thoughts?
I thought I read that Sam was ok with it. I grew up reading these books yearly since 4th grade (mid 70's -wow!) and I just couldn't suspend my disbelief...
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »
I admitted it's a fun thrill ride, but as a Tolkien fan, I despise it. My review.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Sorry Sam - I wasn't clear on that...

Also - why was movie Bilbo so loathe to actually use the ring?
In the book its part of his "skills" as a burglar and the ring itself is not made out to be ominous, nor sinister.
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
I assume it's to fit with LotR, but yea, it's a big departure from the book. I honestly expected that, but still found it frustrating.