Poll

What's your favorite film by Ida Lupino?

Haven't Seen Any
6 (46.2%)
Don't Like Any
0 (0%)
Never Fear
0 (0%)
Outrage
2 (15.4%)
Hard, Fast and Beautiful
0 (0%)
The Hitch-Hiker
3 (23.1%)
The Bigamist
2 (15.4%)
The Trouble with Angels
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Lupino, Ida  (Read 1464 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Lupino, Ida
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:44 AM »
First of all, I agree with you that the way writers and directors got around the Hays Code showed impressive creativity at times. There are also some bad examples, but overall I wish more films were written with these restrictions.

Our dividing point is what you call the "sublime power in the subtext". With some scenes I'm right there with you, especially in the supremely directed main scene itself. It's in the aftermath that I often found it too subdued, but I think you're generally more attracted to subtlety in films than I am, so it makes sense.

I would like to make a correction, that goes back to Martin's review. Before Outrage, there was a 1948 film called Johnny Belinda, starring Jane Wyman who won an Oscar for playing a deaf-mute who is raped. This results in her pregnancy, which plays a big part in her healing from the attack. Unlike Outrage, the film is as safe and Hollywood as a film on this subject can get, but it's still a rough story to watch.

Thanks for responding.

Totoro

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what's needed in those aftermath scenes. Most people don't like to talk about their sexual assault. Most people want to act like it never happened. People want to express their condolences (which inadvertently others & outcasts her), while she gets constant reminders everywhere, even from the strangest of things (stamping = running).

Outrage (A+)
The Hitch-hiker (C)

Totoro

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:55 AM »
Outrage (A+)
Not Wanted (A-)
The Bigamist (B+)
The Hitchhiker (C)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
I was wondering how I missed Not Wanted, then I saw her work wasn't credited, much like On Dangerous Ground where she only did most of the last 30 minutes. (That one has a clear break in tone where you can tell when she's behind the camera.)

Glad you saw The Bigamist. A buried treasure for sure.

love