Author Topic: Currently Reading (2014 Edition)  (Read 22624 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Currently Reading (2014 Edition)
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »

"It is December 6 1941. America stands at the brink of World War II. Last hopes for peace are shattered when Japanese squadrons bomb Pearl Harbor. Los Angeles has been a haven for loyal Japanese-Americans – but now, war fever and race hate grip the city and the Japanese internment begins.

The hellish murder of a Japanese family summons three men and one woman. William H. Parker is a captain on the Los Angeles Police. He’s superbly gifted, corrosively ambitious, liquored-up and consumed by dubious ideology. He is bitterly at odds with Sergeant Dudley Smith – Irish émigré, ex-IRA killer, fledgling war profiteer. Kay Lake is a 21-year-old dilettante looking for adventure. Hideo Ashida is a police chemist and the only Japanese on the L.A. cop payroll. The investigation throws them together and rips them apart. The crime becomes a political storm centre that brilliantly illuminates these four driven souls – comrades, rivals, lovers, history’s pawns.

Perfidia is a novel of astonishments. It is World War II as you have never seen it, and Los Angeles as James Ellroy has never written it before. Here, he gives us the party at the edge of the abyss and the precipice of America’s ascendance. Perfidia is that moment, spellbindingly captured. It beckons us to solve a great crime that, in its turn, explicates the crime of war itself. It is a great American novel."
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
oh!

I want to read this. How far into the book are you? Does it live up to that synopsis?

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
Hellish is a good word for an Ellroy story.

Just started it. Perfidia or Perfidious love that. The French used to call us Perfidious Albion. Not a complement.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Beautiful sounding and utterly biting.

The only British comeback I can think of at the moment is, Soap Dodger! You guys are just too darn nice. :)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #224 on: December 04, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
I'm currently listening to Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  The story of Louis Zamperini is truly remarkable, harrowing, and unbelievable.  What a life.  His story is truly incredible, and I'm only about halfway through it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:39:32 AM by ses »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love