Author Topic: Speak Friend and Enter  (Read 20193 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Speak Friend and Enter
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »
OAD how wonderful, particularly the 2nd poem I really enjoy the lines 'You have it, but you don't have it, you miss it, it misses you, you miss each other," how painfully enjoyable and completely true.  Thank you for sharing that was quite inspiring.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
Oh. It's supposed to sound like that. OK got it. :o
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
You all sound very professional.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
Come on noff. I want to hear you say "aboot".
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
OAD how wonderful, particularly the 2nd poem I really enjoy the lines 'You have it, but you don't have it, you miss it, it misses you, you miss each other," how painfully enjoyable and completely true.  Thank you for sharing that was quite inspiring.
Isn't it a great poem? It has an immediacy of impact but also contains so much to tease out, in terms of meaning(s).

Here's a great essay on it (and Ashbery) by another poet, Megan Snyder-Camp (I think she teaches lit somewhere, too): "John Ashbery: “Paradoxes and Oxymorons”: Savoring the movement of the mind."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
I haven't heard them all, but here's my responses so far:

VerbALs-- I am swooning over your voice.  I must hear more.  Your first piece especially is wonderful.

OAD-- I love the two poems and the reading of the first one is quite wonderful.  The second poem is more interesting, but the first was wonderful to listen to you read.

colonel-- You must have this story published.  It is wonderful.  Your reading of it is quite good.  But, of course, it should be.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »
Agree, I could listen to verbALs all day. You Brits have the edge on us Americans every time. :)

And yes, colonel, incredibly intriguing listen - would love to hear more.  I tend to like dark stuff, too; I realized, after my students pointed it out, that in the last couple of American lit classes I've taught, almost everything I chose for them was depressing (!).

Also, thanks, oldkid! "The Word Plum" is quite a fun one to speak and, almost literally, savor!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 01:49:10 AM »
That was beautiful reading OAD.  Thank you so much.  :)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 03:29:36 AM »
VerbALs-- I am swooning over your voice.  I must hear more.  Your first piece especially is wonderful.

Let's get some reciprocity here. You first dude. ;)

Graham Greene "reads" in a beautiful flow, and his characterisation is unnervingly cutting.

I don't think Lobby got enough credit. She read in a foreign language. That's slightly more difficult.

Totoro

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 04:13:03 AM »
Herein I read aloud a certain recent filmspotter review;

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0KVM2z1DrWh

love