Author Topic: #140: Apocalypto / Akira / Top 5 DVDs of 2006  (Read 9835 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
#140: Apocalypto / Akira / Top 5 DVDs of 2006
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:57:25 AM »
Oooo don't go tellin' everybody
Overlook this supposed crime

Nijhazer

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 01:13:22 PM »
Loved this week's episode. And it was up early, too! I was able to download it before going to work today. Thanks, guys!

This part cracked me up more than anything on the show in weeks:

Adam: Sam, if you think Big Fish was the only good film Tim Burton has made, you are bug-f--
Sam: CINECAST!!
Adam: -- insane.

I figured you guys wouldn't like Akira, for pretty much the exact reasons why you didn't like it: Condensing the enormous manga into a 90-minute film leaves its plotline a convoluted mess. The best reason to watch Akira is for the visuals. At the time, Akira was by far the most expensive anime feature ever made and one of the few that uses pre-lay animation, in which the voices are recorded first, and the characters are animated to match the voices. It's still one of the best-looking animated films ever produced outside North America.

You're doing Ghost in the Shell next week, which in my opinion is the most highly-overrated anime feature ever produced-- it'll be interesting to see how you guys rate it, but I expect you won't like it either.

philip918

• Elite Member
Funniest moment of the year in Apocalypto
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:20:30 PM »
Who would've thought the biggest laugh of the year would come from Apocalypto, but when the huge tree is chopped down, nearly landing on the prisoners and their captors and the leader yells, "I'm walking here!" in what has to be an homage to Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy, I nearly died.
Adam's going to get a lot of grief for mentioning George Lucas as the director of The Empire Strikes Back, but I totally agree with putting George on the Good Films by Bad Directors, or maybe more aptly titled "One Hit Wonders" list.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: Funniest moment of the year in Apocalypto
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »
Quote from: "philip918"
Who would've thought the biggest laugh of the year would come from Apocalypto, but when the huge tree is chopped down, nearly landing on the prisoners and their captors and the leader yells, "I'm walking here!" in what has to be an homage to Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy, I nearly died.
Adam's going to get a lot of grief for mentioning George Lucas as the director of The Empire Strikes Back, but I totally agree with putting George on the Good Films by Bad Directors, or maybe more aptly titled "One Hit Wonders" list.
Oh come on... everybody gives Lucas credit for all of Star Wars, don't they?

The 'I'm walking here' line is funny.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
I do not have access to Apocalypto at the moment, but once I get back home from UConn (Saturday) I plan on seeing a double feature of Dreamgirls and Apocalypto. I think this will be an interesting combo, and I look forward to it.

I just watched Akira and didn't like it at all. I am not a fan nor against anime, I just was never interested in watching it. Perhaps Akira wasn't the best choice to get me started, but there is nothing I can do about it now. I just thought that there was some crazyness going on that you guys didn't talk about. I unfortunately had to watch the dubbed version which was at best laughable. I don't know anybody who actually talks like that. It sounds ridiculous next to pretty much any Pixar movie. Also, I had to laugh to myself whenever anybody yelled out Kaneda's name. I never thought somebody would get so excited about our neighbors to the north. Weird. That being said, I second (or third) SamandAdam's comments on the animation. It is truly beautiful, even the crappy version I saw. Now I know I just made somebody angry...

My top 5 DVD's (I am kinda picky with my DVDs. They need to be special or extended somehow to make it worth my while. And most importantly: WIDESCREEN. Oh, and good commentaries)

5. Mission: Impossible III
4. Pirates II
3. The Chronicles of Narnia - 4 disc edition - I heard our loveable hosts snicker at this... I object. It is a wonderful movie filled with magic. Deal.
2. Brazil
1. 24: Season 5

EDIT!: I just remembered the Extended Edition of King Kong. That is number 0 on the list. The pinnacle of importance.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Funniest moment of the year in Apocalypto
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:25:29 PM »
Quote from: "filmspotting-adam"
Oh come on... everybody gives Lucas credit for all of Star Wars, don't they?

Well, he wrote and produced all the Indiana Jones movies but he doesn't get credit for them.
I mean, out of the six Star Wars movies, the one he didn't direct is widely considered the best of the bunch.  Seems like a good argument can be made against Lucas.  
Of course, look at Irvin Kershner's filmography (he directed ESB), other than Robocop 2 I can't recognize a single movie on his short list, so maybe he'd make a better candidate.  Oops, there's a Bond movie in there too.  Still.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:05:42 PM »
I thought Lucas wrote the story of Indiana Jones, but not the dialogue.  Is that right?
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

sodajerk

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 11:45:50 PM »
Your slip about Inside Man 2 is kind of interesting, because they really are making a sequel.

In regard to Akira, I've wanted to and tried to watch it on about 5 different occasions over the last few years. Each time I've either fallen asleep or gotten bored within the first 20 minutes. I just can't get excited about it for some reason. It really is visually stunning, though. I think my problem is I didn't see it during my pot smoking years, so maybe I missed my window. That's when I saw Ghost in the Shell and I really dug it.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 11:50:07 PM »
Quote from: "sodajerk"
Your slip about Inside Man 2 is kind of interesting, because they really are making a sequel.

Interesting. I look forward to hearing more.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

choatime

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:53:07 AM »
You can't just go with Inside Man 2.  However, I can't decide which is the best:

Inside Woman
Outside Man
Inside Man 2: Inside Manner
Insider Man
Inn Cider Man