love

Author Topic: #140: Apocalypto / Akira / Top 5 DVDs of 2006  (Read 9833 times)

sodajerk

#140: Apocalypto / Akira / Top 5 DVDs of 2006
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »
Live Inside or Die Man

Nijhazer

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 10:29:09 AM »
Quote from: "choatime"

Inn Cider Man

Denzel Washington and Clive Owen holed up in a rustic inn somewhere in the woods on a winter's night, battling for control of a jug of hot apple cider...

I'd go see it.

sodajerk

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 09:35:43 AM »
Inside Man 2: Electric Boogaloo

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »
Question:

What are the two words that Adam uses at 9:33 and 9:38 on the podcast (#140)?
Texan Down Under

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »
Quote from: "saltine"
Question:

What are the two words that Adam uses at 9:33 and 9:38 on the podcast (#140)?
Let me guess...

"Force Majeure literally means "greater force". These clauses excuse a party from liability if some unforseen event beyond the control of that party prevents it from performing its obligations under the contract. Typically, force majeure clauses cover natural disasters or other "Acts of God", war, or the failure of third parties--such as suppliers and subcontractors--to perform their obligations to the contracting party."

"Deus ex machina is a Latin phrase that is used to describe an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot"
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »
Thanks Adam!  Now I'll go back and see how the words work in the context.
Texan Down Under

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 06:36:16 PM »
Both make more sense if you've seen the movie... two textbook moments.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

frankfrankly

akira
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 09:43:40 PM »
I'm not really a huge anime fan myself, but I've always counted Akira and Grave of the fireflies as two of my favorite movies.  And I think you had something when you referenced David Lynch, whose movies I tend to watch over and over. With most Lynch, and with Akira, I usually get a map going, but I'm never quite sure where I end up.  The last time I saw Akira, I really focused on one aspect:

Rebirth: and especially how rebirth is both violent and inevitable.  At the end of the movie, Tetsuo becomes a giant, uncontrollable baby, sucking in energy and leaving complete destructiond.  Add to that the psychic kids, who are the only people who have some sort of understanding of the whole thing.  It seems like the younger the character, the more confused but simple the motivations are. The politician, the army man, the scientist, I get all of there motivations.  But the kids, and tetsuo, they're somewhere else, but the scenes are about basic instincts, like protection, or fear, or intimidation.

There's definitely a tie-in between rebirth, and the failure of institutions, whether it be the orphanages, the schools, the military or religion.  Possibly the misunderstanding of institutions on the messy inevitability of rebirth.  How, whatever energy it is that tetsuo represents, these institutions are put in place to control or at least understand that energy, but are completely incapable of doing so.

By the way, I do love how emotional it gets everytime Grave of the Fireflies is even mentioned.  I'm so glad you've covered it here.

sodajerk

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 10:03:55 PM »
crackspotting

Awesome, Lynch.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 10:29:34 PM »
Now THAT'S a film I wanna see.

love