Author Topic: Manny & Lo  (Read 2506 times)

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Manny & Lo
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:56:28 PM »
1996 indie drama written and directed by Lisa Krueger in her feature film debut.

Starring Scarlett Johansson, Aleska Palladino, & Mary Kay Place.

It's about two orphan sisters who are on the run and going from place to place to find shelter and fend for themselves.  Then the 16-year-old sister Lo (Palladino) learns she's pregnant as her 11-year-old sister Manny (Johansson) helps her in kidnapping a baby store clerk named Elaine (Kay Place) to a reclusive home inside the woods.  

It's got a bit of quirks and things but it's the film's story, themes, and performances (notably the then 10-year old Johansson, who received an Independent Spirit Award nod for Best Actress).  It's out on DVD right now and it was recently in a book as an overlooked film that didn't get a lot of showing in theaters.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Manny & Lo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:08:14 AM »
This sounds really interesting and I want to check it out!  Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up the VHS from work tomorrow.  (No, I don't work at a video store, I work at a huge Movie Store in a Flea Market/Mall in NC.  We carry all sorts of rare films.)

Edit,
Oops, forgot to ask what book it was that mentioned this little treasure?
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Manny & Lo
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »
Quote from: "CSSCHNEIDER"
This sounds really interesting and I want to check it out!  Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up the VHS from work tomorrow.  (No, I don't work at a video store, I work at a huge Movie Store in a Flea Market/Mall in NC.  We carry all sorts of rare films.)

Edit,
Oops, forgot to ask what book it was that mentioned this little treasure?

I forgot what it was called but Manny & Lo is available on DVD.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal