Author Topic: Colonel_Mexico likes weird music  (Read 22246 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Colonel_Mexico likes weird music
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »
Some NSFW language, very weird, but something that stuck with me....

Cocorosie- Werewolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exm8bKidg4Y
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
Some NSFW language, very weird, but something that stuck with me....

Cocorosie- Werewolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exm8bKidg4Y#no

Alright, here's my journey so far with this song. :)

1st time through: in the group listening booth. Visually I wasn't sure what I was seeing, but the sounds and words were not to be taken lightly, so I scrambled to find the lyrics, and right from the tag at the beginning, I knew this was no ordinary song. At that point I said (repeating myself, because you've already heard this part. :) ),

"any song that has these lines is a good one."

My soul was filled with crystal light
Lavender ribbons of rain sang
Ridding my heart of mortal fright

Corny movies make me reminisce. They break me down easy on this generic love s*** "haha! There's a lot here to look at and think on."

"Her verbiage is strange and wonderful. I'm going to keep this one so I can study it, thanks!"

2nd time through: cooking dinner. As soon as the chorus hit, with Sierra's beautiful voice,

In a dream my father came to me
And made me swear that I'd keep
What's sacred to me
And if I get the choice to live in his name
I'll pray my way through the rain
Singing oh happy day

it overwhelmed me and I broke down and cried. (tmi territory ahead!) I had read that the sisters had conflicted feelings about their father, because of his good points and bad, so it comes out in this song. I too have conflicted feelings about my own father. I had heard a story growing up of a man who had a dream and in it his grandfather came to him and asked "What have you done with my name?" My father was the only son of a proud farming family and was very well spoken of. I felt duty bound to honor his name and make him proud of me, even though I only had vague memories of him. About 5 years ago, I found out that he may not have been a good man, and it turned all my desire to honor his name, to naught. I guess now, I'm just trying to honor my own name. :) Anyway, long story to say why this made me cry. I've been listening to the song off and on since yesterday, since there's so much in there. The best thing I'm taking from it is, with these words,

I'm a shake you off though
Get up on that horse and
Ride into the sunset
Look back with no remorse

I feel freedom.

Yeah, this is no ordinary song and I'm keeping it for good! Thanks for sharing it, Col.! What do you find compelling about it?

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
The guy with the crazy glasses beat boxing drew me in, then the hip hop-ishness of the song takes off and all around weirdness is something I seem to embrace about music. Her lyrics you can tell are powerful whatever they may overtly or subtly mean. I've downloaded the album and it is strange, the genre listed for them was Freak Folk, I've never heard of that, but seems right up my alley. They use all kinds of crazy instruments and even kids toys. I'm not sure I have a definitive answer for what draws me to it, but like a moth to the flame I can't stay away and find myself listening to it again and again. The album version is much different than that one and I can seem to find that remix/alternate version which appears like they just did for that French tv show.  I'm delighted you found it so touching and I'm glad you could find something peaceful in the disturbing parts that most would probably stay away from. It's like facing a fear or disappointment and knowing that it might not be good enough, respectable enough, or even right enough, but it will do for now and I can accept this. I can be grateful for this, even if it is so very painful.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »
The guy with the crazy glasses beat boxing drew me in, then the hip hop-ishness of the song takes off and all around weirdness is something I seem to embrace about music. Her lyrics you can tell are powerful whatever they may overtly or subtly mean. I've downloaded the album and it is strange, the genre listed for them was Freak Folk, I've never heard of that, but seems right up my alley. They use all kinds of crazy instruments and even kids toys. I'm not sure I have a definitive answer for what draws me to it, but like a moth to the flame I can't stay away and find myself listening to it again and again. The album version is much different than that one and I can seem to find that remix/alternate version which appears like they just did for that French tv show.

Freak Folk. :) Yeah, I hadn't heard of that before either. It's a whole new world you've discovered, Col.! It's like their imaginations have free reign, where no one has ever told them no. I'm sure the results are a mixed bag, but if songs like this come out of their creative processes, it's so worth it. And, it motivates me to want to just let go and see where creativity can take me. That's a side benefit to this weird music. :)

I'm delighted you found it so touching and I'm glad you could find something peaceful in the disturbing parts that most would probably stay away from. It's like facing a fear or disappointment and knowing that it might not be good enough, respectable enough, or even right enough, but it will do for now and I can accept this. I can be grateful for this, even if it is so very painful.

Yes, just as you've written. It will do for now. Music so often shakes me up and puts me in a difficult place, but more often than not, I end up okay and a little clearer, so yes there is gratitude in spite of the pain.

Hope you find some other great things on this freak folk music adventure!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
I was looking for "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt" and came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0rMVpyyQsY#no

I'm not sure if you've heard this rendition, but remembered you like string versions of your favorite songs. :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2016, 08:30:03 AM »
A string quartet version of TMV! I'm familiar with other artists being covered in this way (Tool, Mudvayne, etc), but hadn't heard this.  I like the lilting and haunting sound they get from Cerpin Taxt. I love the upright bass solo around 4 mins, and the way the song flows to the end, feels like an African safari vibe. A hunt, a trial by fire, and the conclusion, who brought me here, forsaken depraved and wrought with fear, who turned it off, the last thing I remember now, who brought me here?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:13 PM »
"...wrought with fear..." :(  No memory of where he was or what brought him there. Scary and sad that he didn't outrun anything after all with his choice. weighty song. I want to sit with it for a while and let it do its thing... then I need to chase it with something lighter.

Oh! I know! I was in another room in dubtrack the other day and someone played this. I kept it, 'cause it made me happy. This song should do the trick. Balance, right? :)

"Just One Second"

I wish that time would stand still,
if this was a part of a film,
we would watch the clip all day,

Very apropos for the filmspotting forum!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
Something about this song and video does something, I can't quite describe

https://youtu.be/xT0hmvZfPHY

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
A one word description could be,

Cinemagic. :)

love