love

Author Topic: March Madness - Communal Watchlist Group Marathon 2014  (Read 11739 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: March Madness - Communal Watchlist Group Marathon 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 12:26:08 AM »
Winchester '73

Filled with western genre cliches and presenting an outdated ideal of manliness, it's a good example of what the genre does well: establishing a conflict between good and evil and communicating a simple moral message without being moralistic.  Jimmy Stewart is at his every-tough-man best as well.

Still, I guess I was hoping for something more.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »
I'm sad and a little bewildered that it's already the last day of March.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
I hope we were helpful. I want to restate how much I was taken by Head-On.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »
I'll be tallying up all the new ratings and then sending everyone an updated list of unrated films to see if I've missed anything. Once I get all that compiled, I'll update the watchlist and post a new batch of films.

...hopefully all by Sunday night...but we all know how that goes...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »
Actual March Madness was way more exciting than I thought it'd be. Sorry! Next time around!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 01:42:22 AM »
A Raisin in the Sun

I've been under the impression, the end goal of parenting is to work my way out of a job. Leadership is a role that doesn't sit comfortably with me and I get a lot of satisfaction from completing projects, so I glommed onto that statement like a personal mantra. The idea of teaching my kids the skills they need, so they can go out into the world prepared, appeals to me. Easier said than done, but I plod along.

Well, my plodding came to a halt as I watched A Raisin in the Sun this weekend. What was I thinking? Parenting isn't a project that you can be put to rest like an arts and crafts project. I'm in it for the long haul. My children's children are going to need that special supplemental parenting that only a grandma can provide. My grown children will still need a touchstone once in awhile, just as I do. I did understand this, I did, but it wasn't until I saw this family in close proximity, at odds with their hopes and dreams and straining at the seams of their lives, that I caught a clearer vision of what's so crucial about the ties of family. Holding on, nearly breaking, but bending when it counts by forgiving the worst of follies, the family only grows stronger for it. This poetic film gets to the heart of the matter.

Rating - 9

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:49 AM »
I don't know if I like that message, Sandy.  I'm definately looking for an end game as far as parenting goes.  However, I note that it's taking longer than I thought.  My oldest is 21 and no closer to being independent than when he was 16.

I've been wondering if kids need longer to "grow up" (whatever THAT is) than they used to.  It used to be a boy would be a "man" at 13 and shoulder farming responsibility.  A woman would get married at 13 and start having babies.  We couldn't imagine children being ready at that age now for these responsibilities.  Maybe it's because the responsibilities are bigger, there's more involved.  Well, wouldn't we say that the world is more complicated than it was a hundred or fifty years ago?  Isn't there more to learn, more skills to develop?  When can we call ourselves "grown up"?  Do we ever reach it anymore?

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 02:20:33 AM »
I'm with Sandy here. There is no endgame as far as parenting goes, and I wouldn't want there to be one, to be honest.

I'm in it for the long haul. My children's children are going to need that special supplemental parenting that only a grandma can provide. My grown children will still need a touchstone once in awhile, just as I do. I did understand this, I did, but it wasn't until I saw this family in close proximity, at odds with their hopes and dreams and straining at the seams of their lives, that I caught a clearer vision of what's so crucial about the ties of family. Holding on, nearly breaking, but bending when it counts by forgiving the worst of follies, the family only grows stronger for it. This poetic film gets to the heart of the matter.

This, in particular, is beautiful. I want to be there for my kid(s) when they start their first day of school... when they graduate from college... celebrate with them when they land their first job... be there for them when they start a family... help raise their kids and support them when necessary. Of course the degree of support and being there differs in amount and nature, but it's still parenting.

I love how my own father and mother, my uncles and aunts and my wife's parents all help care for their grandchildren. For most of them, they are the daycare while us fathers and mothers go out into the world to earn an honest living during the day. Hopefully in around 25 or 30 years I'll be like that and have grandchildren to give that "supplementary parenting" that only a grandparent can give as well.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 02:23:41 AM »
For the fact that schooling ends at 22/23, I'd consider that you tend to do that growing up outside of the cocoon of education. At least that's my experience. My son's development from finishing his Masters at 23, in a year and a half of work, is marked. It's more a case of the challenges of work and looking after yourself away from the family home; stretching you in new ways, and the person growing into the new spaces that new challenges present. He is more confident, and has more to say about life in general.

I don't think its any different for people our age though. If you push yourself into new challenges, sometimes against your instincts to stay in the comfort zone, you can keep "growing up". So it can happen at any age. So the question "do we ever reach being "grown up"?" perhaps should be "should we ever reach it?".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:25:42 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2014, 02:36:43 AM »
I know that for me, being a "grown up" is precarious at best.  We always have to learn, and there are things that we might have been expected to learn by a "certain age" that we never did.  That doesn't mean we can't, although the clock is ticking for some of us...

I'm not saying that I'm not for my kids in the long haul, or grandkids, but two things I know: that I was very independent and when I got married I was done being parented and my wife and I moved away from our parents to live our own lives.  I don't necessarily expect my kids to do the same (and at this rate, only one looks like she's got the drive to do that), but perhaps that's a hidden expectation I have?  The second thing is that I know my own limitations and I don't know how much I'll have to give to my kids.  They will grow up smarter than me in many ways and if they have an independence streak like me, then I'll let them go freely, and I will be confident that they'll be okay. 

love