love

Author Topic: The Recipe Box  (Read 37782 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • As every colour illuminates, we are shining...
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: The Recipe Box
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »
Yum!

I found a suribachi that I really like, but it's not available right now.

If and when I order one, I'll try out your recipe!

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2021, 04:59:40 PM »
I found a suribachi that I really like, but it's not available right now.

I just want to give you a heads up Sandy. A wood pestle over time will absorb various oils from whatever you pulverize. If not cleaned properly and store in a dry ventilated spot, those oils can turn rancid and start imparting odd tastes to your spices and herbs.
Masterpiece | Classic | Entertaining | Mediocre | Cinemuck | Crap

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • As every colour illuminates, we are shining...
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #402 on: January 30, 2021, 06:22:39 PM »
Good to know! Thanks, Antares.

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2021, 06:11:50 PM »

Beef Barley Soup

3 TBSP. rendered Beef Suet
3 lbs. Stew Beef (1 inch cubes)
2 lbs. Carrots (diced)
2 lbs. Onions (diced)
1 lb. Celery (diced)
5 qts. Beef Stock
1 lb. frozen Peas
1 lb. frozen Corn
1 lb. frozen Green Bean cuts
1-2 tsp. fresh ground Black Pepper (Add anywhere from 1-2, depending on how much you like Black Pepper)
1 tsp. dried Basil
½ tsp. dried Thyme
½ tsp. dried Marjoram
6 Bay Leaves
1 - 6oz. can Tomato Paste
2 TBSP. Chile Sauce
1 TBSP. Molasses
1½ cups Pearl Barley
Salt (To taste, if using boxed broth, use less. If making stock from scratch add until you get just a taste of Salt)

In a large frypan, heat Suet until it reaches its smoking point. Add cubes of Beef and evenly layer across pan’s bottom. Let sit and fry for at least 3 minutes at high heat. You want to get a good browning on at least one side of each cube. Once you see the Beef starting to release its natural juices into the pan, stir and when all pieces are cooked, add Onions and sauté until Onions start to soften. Add Beef and Onions to a stock pot and add enough of the Beef Stock to cover by at least an inch. Bring to a rolling boil, cover and lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove cover and add Carrots and Celery and the rest of the Beef Stock. Bring back to a rolling boil and cook for 25 minutes. Add Spices, Herbs, Tomato Paste, Chili Sauce & Molasses and bring back to a boil. Add frozen vegetables and once again, bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil again, turn to low and add Pearl Barley. Slow simmer uncovered for at least 2 hours. Remove Bay Leaves and serve with a good crusty bread.

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #404 on: February 05, 2021, 05:11:44 PM »

Pork & Bell Pepper Pomodoro

4 lbs. boneless Country Pork Rib meat (sliced 1 inch squares, ¼ inch thick)
3 lbs. Italian Sausage (Hot or Sweet, your preference, cut into ½ inch wheels after baking)
¼ cup rendered Pork Fat (Leaf Lard, Salt Pork or Bacon)
2 lbs. Onions (large dice)
2 Green Bell Peppers (very large dice)
2 Red Bell Peppers (very large dice)
1 bulb Garlic (sliced ¼ inch)
1 jar Roasted Red Peppers in Water
1 cup Wine (Riesling for a sweeter sauce, Pinot Noir for a bolder sauce)
24 oz. Tomato Paste
2 – 28 oz. cans Crushed Tomatoes
1 #10 can Diced Tomatoes
1½ TBSP. Oregano
1½ TBSP. Sweet Basil
6 Bay Leaves
1 TBSP. fresh ground Black Pepper
1 TBSP. Salt
1 pint Chicken Stock
1 pint Beef Stock
325 grams Sugar
2 TBSP. Grapeseed Oil
¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese

Pre-heat oven to 300° and cook Italian Sausage for 1 hour. Let cool and slice. In a large sauté pan, bring rendered Pork Fat up to its smoking point. Add Garlic slices and swirl quickly in Pork Fat, until golden brown. Remove Garlic with slotted spoon and add to sauce pot. Add and cook Pork Rib Meat 2 pounds at a time and brown. Remove with slotted spoon and add to sauce pot. In a blender or food processor, puree the contents of the jar of Roasted Red Peppers and add to sauce pot. Add Chicken & Beef Stock to sauce pot, making sure all the contents of the pot are completely covered. If it isn’t, add enough water to get it there. Cover the sauce pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, set flame to low and cook for 30 minutes. Add Grapeseed Oil to sauté pan, bring up to heat and add Onions and Bell Peppers and cook over medium heat. When Onions start to brown, add Wine and de-glaze the sauté pan. After the Pork has completed its 30 minutes of tenderizing, add all remaining ingredients into the sauce pot, except the Parmesan Cheese and bring up to a low simmer. If it seems too thick, add some water to it. Simmer uncovered for 3 hours and then add Parmesan Cheese. Cook for an additional hour.

Because the sauce has large chunks of meat and vegetables, you want to serve it over a large pasta shape like Rigatoni, Farfalle or Shells.

love