love

Author Topic: I just need to smile  (Read 37708 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: I just need to smile
« Reply #340 on: March 11, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
That's great news :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #341 on: March 11, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »
Wonderful, Sam!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #342 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »
Hurray, Sam!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2020, 03:56:04 PM »
Yay, Sam!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »
Congratulations!
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #345 on: March 11, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »
Congrats

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »
After months of no interviews and not having reliable work since July, I got two phone interviews today, one for a full-time programming position I'd get trained for but likely have to relocate to do and another part-time contract gig in town that I could start quickly. Feels good to be wanted again and both in areas I've wanted to work in since I decided to leave higher education.
Update:

Well, unsurprisingly the part-time contract gig in town got nixed for the time being because of the Coronavirus. Expected it early on but still feels bad. Did the training interview for the other job and the interviewer was kinda a jerk and asked why I didn't cram for the interview. I didn't say any of these but the thoughts ran through my head:
A. there's a global pandemic going on.
B. this job is supposed to train me so why should I cram for the assessment of my skills?
C. 10 days might have gotten me the answers to questions but that doesn't mean  I actually knew anything about those skills.

I've not heard back from the company but obviously now there's no way I'd relocate to train or to take on a job. If they offer me something I'd say I'm only interested in doing something remotely.

My goal now is twofold:

1. Find a remote job. Luckily, higher education and tech seemed to be needing a lot of these right now. A quick search of indeed and there are tons of remote/temp jobs posted online, a couple that cite COVID-19 as the reason for the openings.

2. Just go ahead and learn programming on my own. Being stuck at home with not much else to do I've finally ran out of excuses. I've started learning basic Javascript and it all makes a lot of sense so far.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2020, 11:02:47 PM »
I sold my latest renovation.

Talk about coming in under the wire. Interest has dried up since Coronavirus. This deal got signed just before shit really hit the fan (locally). They finalized it tonight. I was worried all week they'd back out. If this didn't go through, I suspect I would have been stuck sitting on this place for quite some time. It's such a relief. My project last year hit the market at such a lousy time (for various reason) and I more or less broke even on it. Fortunately, market conditions allowed me to pick this place up at a good price and in the end I've done well on it. I keep doing silent fist pumps around my apartment. I think more out of relief than happiness, but anyways, it feels good. :))

before
After
For anyone curious.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2020, 11:30:49 PM »
Oh Wow, smirnoff!

"For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder... and about the eleventh hour he went out, and found [a buyer]... Jesus had compassion on them. " (St. Matthew chapter 20) Yes, a blessing from the lord.  :))  It's a actually a testament to your excellent renovating skills. The buyers just couldn't pass up such a gorgeous home.  Congrats!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:58 PM »
Thanks Sandy :))