love

Author Topic: I just need to smile  (Read 37728 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: I just need to smile
« Reply #360 on: September 19, 2020, 11:13:01 PM »
All i hear from over here in the west is Victoria complaining about lockdowns and about Daniel Andrews but he seems to be doing a decent job.

Murdoch is doing a very good job at trying to make him look bad.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #361 on: September 19, 2020, 11:21:00 PM »
I don't know a lot about Andrews situation.  When it came right down to it, he did the hard yards and got it under control.  Of course covid is unpredictable, and no Aussies are out of the woods yet. The QLD recent wave had origin in three young women who went to VIC and broke all the rules on their return. Luckily no deaths, but lots of spread due to that one incident.  QLD has 22 ill at the moment but I think the number went to 48 three weeks ago. None of the spread took place near us, all on the other side of Brisbane.

Where are you riding out the covid, Beavermoose?
Texan Down Under

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2020, 01:20:21 AM »

I'm in Melbourne, we've got 2-3 more weeks in stage 4 lockdown and then the road map should have us out by end of November depending on case numbers.

Lockdown's been a little rough, it's my first year teaching secondary school and online teaching has been difficult but it'll obviously be worth it in the long run. Springtime has finally arrived in Melb and I went for a bike ride yesterday. There was a lot of people in the park, most were social distancing and wearing masks but I'm not sure anyone's meant to be having picnics. I think it's best to keep the restrictions higher since people are pretty bad a following them in the first place.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2020, 04:10:27 AM »
So you're not riding it out, you're in the thick of it. Be safe and careful and wear your mask!  I'll add you to the list of people I'm concerned for. Thx for the update.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #364 on: October 23, 2020, 12:45:38 AM »
My wife managed to arrive in Singapore yesterday after having not seen her since January. One of the requirements to get her in was that she would have to spend 14 days quarantined in a hotel room on her own before she can come home.  This was a flat fee that I had to pay before she arrived and there is no choosing the hotel. The government has made arrangements with many different decent hotels but you only find out which one you get when the bus drops you off from the airport. 

She got lucky and managed to get the best option possible.  As most get a standard room where you can't open the winder and get any air.  This certainly helps since you are no allowed to step out of your door for the entire 14 days.

You don't get the hotel food, the gov't has arranged 3 meals to be delivered daily which is just so-so.  But I can have food delivered as well as drop off a few things from home to the hotel staff.  So about to go drop off food and some goods so she to help stay entertained for the next 14 days.  Still can't see her for 14 days but at least less to worry about.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #365 on: October 23, 2020, 12:54:50 AM »

I'm in Melbourne, we've got 2-3 more weeks in stage 4 lockdown and then the road map should have us out by end of November depending on case numbers.

Lockdown's been a little rough, it's my first year teaching secondary school and online teaching has been difficult but it'll obviously be worth it in the long run. Springtime has finally arrived in Melb and I went for a bike ride yesterday. There was a lot of people in the park, most were social distancing and wearing masks but I'm not sure anyone's meant to be having picnics. I think it's best to keep the restrictions higher since people are pretty bad a following them in the first place.

Is it your first year teaching anything? I can't remember. I also can't imagine being a first year teacher under this, but if you survive (not literally, you will, but with your mind intact, it gets way better. My Christmas present will hopefully come after the winter vacation, and that will be all my students in my class! But probably not. A group at a time, though, could be possible, and would be so welcome.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #366 on: October 23, 2020, 01:44:39 AM »

Is the hotel in Sentosa, the beach reminds me of the beach I got to see on one of the Airport tours you can do while waiting for your next plane.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #367 on: October 23, 2020, 01:55:52 AM »
Yes, it is the Shangri La on Sentosa.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2020, 01:58:55 AM »
It's funny what will stick in your mind, I did that tour in 2002, in the middle of over 48 hours of travel home (started in Narvik, Norway)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #369 on: October 23, 2020, 07:14:25 AM »
Exciting that you will get to see her again soon! Glad this is finally happening for you two.

love