Author Topic: Filmspots 2013: Official Winners  (Read 7089 times)

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Re: Filmspots 2013: Official Winners
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 06:50:02 PM »
But... what you're doing is dividing a weighted numerator by a non-weighted denominator, which further increases the effect of the weighting.  In this example, Frozen is only "out of a possible 23.00" if everyone who saw Frozen also saw all of the other nominees.  Shouldn't it be 9.30 points out of a possible (whatever the weighted number would be if all 23 had voted for Frozen)?

Hmm, interesting. Let me play with this when I have more time.

So, weighting the possible points as well as the actual points would have changed the results of two races: Frozen (35.8%) would have beaten Wolf Children (32.7%); and, for Art Direction, Her (30.7%) would have beaten The Grandmaster (30.1%). In the documentary race, At Berkeley (33.3%) still would have beaten The Act of Killing (27.6%).

I can no longer remember whether or not we made a deliberate choice not to weight the denominator. I'm pretty sure we did, but I can't remember for sure.

pixote
From a purely math perspective this is much more fair. Wolf Children and Grandmaster are still getting quite a boost, and from the doc category it's clear that that boost can still be enough to crown a winner, but it's not as drastic as the other option.

I have not seen Wolf Children or Grandmaster, or either of the docs, so I can't speak to any filmic opinion of what should win.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
From a purely math perspective this is much more fair.

I'll probably switch it up next year, unless I can remember the reason not to.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 12:30:27 AM »
In the Documentary race this year, only a handful of voters saw the full crop of nominees:

1 Nominee Seen:  5 Voters
2 Nominees Seen:  10 Voters
3 Nominees Seen:  18 Voters
4 Nominees Seen:  6 Voters
5 Nominees Seen:  4 Voters

The four voters who saw every nominee split their votes as follows: At Berkeley (2), The Act of Kililng (1), and Blackfish (1).

pixote

I was the 1 vote for Act of Killing. I actually almost voted for Berkeley because I really liked it and figured it wouldn't get any love.

Also, while I voted for Computer Chess, I'm really glad Gimme the Loot won Best Overlooked and I hope it compels more to check it out.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
This came up when I was away, but now I've finally looked at the results. The top list felt kind of familiar and no wonder when I looked at the success rate. I'm baffled. Usually I'm way under average in this. But not this year.
I was especially delighted to see The Hunt winning. In moments like this we're not Swedish or Danish, we're all Scandinavian!
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies