love

Author Topic: A World of Infusion  (Read 8118 times)

Antares

• Godfather
A World of Infusion
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
This thread will be for those who imbibe the brewed tonic of tea. Over the last year or so, I've become a tea junkie and am looking for others who share the same addiction. Rate, review or just share your reactions to a new blend you may have stumbled upon.

99% Oxidized Purple Oolong - 80/100

On Thursday, I ventured into a local tea shop in Pawtuxet Village and tried a 99% Oxidized Purple Oolong from The Art of Tea. Steeped it for about 6 - 7 minutes and it brewed out a dark chocolaty color with a tinge of purple color around the edges. It was a bold, earthy tea, with hints of Morel Mushrooms and Tobacco. If you're a smoker, then this is a tea for you!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:40:35 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: A World of Infusion
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »
Nice.  I am a "tea-totaller", and while I mostly drink black iced tea, no sugar, I have explored a number of teas and really appreciate a variety. 

In the last few years I discovered Teavana, and while it's a  bit pricey, I've loved a number of their teas, especially Toasted Nut Brulee and Earl Grey Creme.   

Also I love some of their gadgets.  One I use quite frequently is this infusion pot:
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:20:07 AM »
I was a fairly routine tea person but lately it has been causing some acid issues and when drinking caffeinated stuff it tends to make me more twitchy than alert, so I've mostly cut it out. I rock pretty mundane stuff, generic chai, peppermint or green. If I'm feeling fancy I'll go with a flavored chamomile, those are tasty.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
I pretty much drink tea every day which is usually either Chinese black or green tea though I have no idea the particulars as they are in Chinese.  I just drink what ever is sitting around, never any milk or sugar 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
I usually go iced:

Mix in 12oz of pom juice and top with lemonade for a pitcher of PomPalmers or various syrups (Ikea's Elderflower one is a favorite).

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
I worked a double today and started off my morning with my usual cuppa Yorkshire. But then I decided to have a late breakfast at the same place I went to on Thursday last week. This time I had a pot of Dragonwell Green Tea, also from The Art of Tea. Steeped it for about 4 minutes and the taste was very subtle on the tongue, with hints of Asparagus & Escarole. It also had a very calming effect on me, which means it was loaded with l-theanine. It also really complimented the crepe I had for breakfast, which turned out to be quite tasty. I had a garlic infused crepe, wrapped around Roma Tomatoes and Smoked Salmon, garnished with Cream Cheese and Capers.

Dragonwell Green Tea - 80/100
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:40:58 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »
So, high tea...

We will be presented with the classic tea chest.  Is tea actually paired with food as wine is? 
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »
So, high tea...

We will be presented with the classic tea chest.  Is tea actually paired with food as wine is?

nothing pairs with food like wine...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Is tea actually paired with food as wine is?

With all the variations you can create with tea ingredients, I would say... yes, most definitely. The Dragonwell I drank this morning was very vegetal on the tongue, but not grassy like some green teas like Sencha can be. I was looking for that quality to compliment the capers. But I was also very pleasantly surprised at how well it went with the tomatoes too.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
I've loved a number of their teas, especially Toasted Nut Brulee and Earl Grey Creme.   

If these kind of blends are what you like to drink, then you should definitely check out Butiki Teas. They make a lot of those exotic blends, and from the reviews I read, they're one of the best tea companies out there on the web.