love

Author Topic: Forum CPR  (Read 35204 times)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: The Death of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:24 AM »
Thanks, Steve, but also, does anybody else miss Lobby?
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
Absolutely.

and tjwells, whose last 4 posts were under "What Movie is Playing Right Now", with no follow-up review, and that goes back to April 4.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
I'm often missing her.  I suspect her trip to Cambodia was life changing, as she thought it might be.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »
1. I miss Lobby, too.  :-[ 2. I love Christopher Nolan. 3. I haven't spent much time on the forum in the past month or two just because school is drawing to a close, which means all the teachers are cramming in all the tests, quizzes, and homework they can. As I said in the meta thread, I've had three pages (new record) of forum catch up to do. For the same reason, movie watching has also ground to a halt. I saw seven movies in March, six in April, and am on track to do even less this month. Fortunately, this will all change for me in Summer, and I will definitely be around more.

I know I'm relatively new here, but you guys still feel like family, so I'll do whatever I can to keep it alive.  [/corny]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:16:00 AM by JakeIsntFake »
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
I miss Lobby, and verbALs (where'd he run off to?).  I wish Verite and goodguy posted more, as they seem to have tastes very close to mine, and are always discovering interesting new things.  I've given up hope of worm@work ever coming back.  She's made two posts in the past year, both in the "Project Runway" thread.  Sean (the "godfather of the forum") doesn't post much anymore either.  I miss everyone who's gone (well, except jeanrzej, or whatever his name was).  I don't understand why fleiger went through the trouble to delete all his posts.  I'm sure he had his reasons, but it strikes me as a rather childish thing to do (and it's rendered certain threads a bit confusing).  At least we got Bill Thompson back.

The majority of people here like, if not idolize, Nolan.  I honestly don't know where this "everybody hates Nolan!" perception comes from.  I think it was mostly "the cabal" who put down Nolan.

I, too, wish that Adam & Josh were more invested in the little community that's been built around their show.  It stings a little when they promote Letterboxd without a word about their own forum.  I have a Letterboxd account.  There doesn't seem to be much in the way of interaction.  I import my IMDb ratings about once a month, and when I'm bored I'll sometimes paste some of my reviews there.  But it's not part of my usual routine.  Posting my reviews here is.

As for my own participation, I'm sorry I've been relatively inactive lately.  I've gone from a relationship where we totally ignored each other to one where we do almost everything together.  It's made me a much happier person in general, but it has also diminished the time I spend watching movies, and the time I spend on the internet.  I'm not going anywhere, though.  There are a couple of other forums where I occasionally (very very rarely) post, but this is my home forum.  I check in and read posts about 8-10 times a day.  Right now my girlfriend and I are going through the process of getting her moved in to my house.  Hopefully when the dust settles, I'll be back to posting more.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
this:

dedicating less time to sitting down and writing stuff than I used to.

My enthusiasm for being part of the community hasn't changed though.

and this:

you guys still feel like family, so I'll do whatever I can to keep it alive.  [/corny]

I'm here to stay. :)

Missing those that are absent, but they know where to find us when they're ready.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »
JeanRZEJ rubbed people the wrong way and had a lot of out there comments, but he was strictly focused on film talk. I don't recall personal attacks, though he had difficulty engaging in debate over his opinions. Read through Jean's posts and there's a lot of dense writing, and a fair amount of contradictory statements, but it was very focused on films (obscure films) and something we haven't seen on the boards before or since. I found Jean challenging and difficult to dismiss because he threw a lot of good punches.

I have a long list of people I wish would post more, especially more reviews. Top of that list would be roujin, ¡Keith!, mañana, FLY.
Junior wrote...
I wonder if we've all grown to kind of like the same sorts of things. There are still obvious points of difference, but in general I think we mostly all like the same stuff, to one degree or another. There used to be dissenting opinions on every topic.
The absentee members were those differences of opinion.

And I'm happy to see others notice the show promoting Letterboxd. I posted about this a year ago.

I love Adam to death but it made me a little sad when he said on the show that he likes using Letterboxd to post reviews. It's like these boards only exist to him for show-related feedback.

I really feel that this forum is for our community, with little connection to the podcast, except occasionally there are people filtered here from the podcast.  Some of the folks in our community don't listen to the podcast anymore, and this has never really been "the place" for Adam, which is a shame.  But what we have is good, and I really have no complaints.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:23:04 PM by 1SO »

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
It seems like they play a call from one of you in the FAB every now and then. Maybe they can play one with one of you guys plugging it?

A brief explanation of the Top 100 Club or Ratings Project might attract some new blood. They sound (and are) fun to me at least. 

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »
I was a friend of JeanRZEJ.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
I thought Jean lived in Russia.