love

Author Topic: Forum CPR  (Read 35238 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Forum CPR
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
I’m always down for classical Hollywood, so if you want to pick one film a week to watch, I’ll happily join in, with no qualms about obscure films (not the opposite). And maybe others will join in and we can have a rotating schedule.

pixote
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:50:05 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
Alternate point: old films are dumb. Also all movies. I dont know what is happening with my life.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
I’m always down for classical Hollywood, so if you want to pick one film a week to watch, I’ll happily join in, with no qualms about obscure films (not the opposite). And maybe others will join in and we can have a rotating schedule.

pixote
It would probably be easier for you to pick the film, especially with me up for anything. That way you know you'd at least have me to bounce opinions off of, like Corndog's Western Marathon.

I'd be just as happy to pump some life into the 1945 Retrospots. Make a list of the most popular, highest rated or have others submit their favorite hidden gem and talk about that once a week. Off top of my head, I know Scarlet Street and Leave Her To Heaven have very divisive opinions around here.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:24:21 PM by 1SO »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »
It would probably be easier for you to pick the film, especially with me up for anything.

Or we could pick a year (or genre or actor or whatever) and each pick a film and do a double feature, given how short and watchable much of classic Hollywood tends to be. I don't think I'd be overly challenged to pick films you haven't seen and vice versa, perhaps successfully so like with A Walk in the Sun and Counselor-at-Law.

I want to get back into the 1945 Retrospots as well, but that's more of a group effort and harder to coordinate. I'm looking to start something smaller and more certain and see where it goes.

edit: Perhaps for now I’ll just try to jump in on one film a week from your Directors marathon. I was planning to watch (or rewatch) Night and the City this November, for example, but it’d make more sense for me to watch it now so I can discuss it with else who’s just watched it.

pixote
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:20:14 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
edit: Perhaps for now I’ll just try to jump in on one film a week from your Directors marathon. I was planning to watch (or rewatch) Night and the City this November, for example, but it’d make more sense for me to watch it now so I can discuss it with else who’s just watched it.

pixote
We could do that. You seem to have unlocked my order so you know who's coming up. And I will definitely be writing a new full review for Night and the City.

Most of my choices are actor based and if you're interested, maybe to see if you get any ideas, I can give you my current list ranked by percentage of completion of their filmographies. I recently added William Bendix to the list and am considering adding Ida Lupino.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
I am much more alarmed by the lack of back and forth on the new releases, which was much stronger last year I feel. No Spoilers Deadpool 2 thread!

I don't know about everyone else, but I've basically just resigned to watching what trickles down to Netflix or Prime... and even then it's not like I get to it as soon as it shows up streaming. Give me another 6 months and I'll be ready for the 2017 Filmspots. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #276 on: September 05, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #277 on: September 06, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
I plan to come back strong in November. I miss movies and the discussion thereof and Filmspotters.

pixote

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
I plan to come back strong in November. I miss movies and the discussion thereof and Filmspotters.

pixote

I think we missed you more. :)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love