Author Topic: Top 5 Most disturbing movies  (Read 4771 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Top 5 Most disturbing movies
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
Thanks for the response 1SO, I have been trying to find a response better than "That makes sense", but I cannot think of one. At the time of its release there was a bit of a stir when David Stratton (the equal most famous movie reviewer in Australia) refused to give the film a rating on The Movie Show, he talked about the film and Margaret Pomeranz, his co-host, gave it a rating, but he refused, because of his disquiet about the film.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
I'll add Martyrs to this list, very hard to sleep after seeing the last 20 mins of this film.

Chris

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »
Thanks for the response 1SO, I have been trying to find a response better than "That makes sense", but I cannot think of one. At the time of its release there was a bit of a stir when David Stratton (the equal most famous movie reviewer in Australia) refused to give the film a rating on The Movie Show, he talked about the film and Margaret Pomeranz, his co-host, gave it a rating, but he refused, because of his disquiet about the film.

An addition to this story. Geoffrey Wright (the director) is still pissed off about this refusal. He threw the contents of a glass of wine at David when the bumped into each other several years ago, and has just recently said he would do it again. Margaret and David's show will also be finishing at the end of this year after 28 years on air. I have not watched much in recent years, but it will be sad to see the show finish.

etopp

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 12:42:17 AM »
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:00 AM »
My list wouldn't feature grotesquery so much as latent racism and sexism.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:26 PM »

That actually might make another interesting list, unintentionally offensive films.

I tried writing a list by looking up "most disturbing films" and got a slew of lists with genuinely f'd thumbnails... I'm glad the only movie on those lists I've seen was A Clockwork Orange (which disturbed the hell out of me, and barely cracked the top ten of most of these lists).

Aside from that, nothing but a couple of scenes from David Fincher, and the TV series Hannibal which really loves to push the envelope of ultraviolent imagery (but luckily the style of the series removes the viewer from a lot of the more disturbing moments).

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
The first 10 or 15 minutes of Moebius (Kim Ki-duc) disturbed me quite a bit.  The rest of the film wasn't wasn't easy either
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »

That actually might make another interesting list, unintentionally offensive films.

I like this idea, though I would cross off 'unintentionally'. I'd have to give it a little thought, but I know I've written about films that upset my sensibilities and "crossed a line." Though it will probably lean heavy into irresponsible films containing rape.

jmbossy

• Generally Critical
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
I guess given the number of terrible movies (whether mistakes or misfires) each list would be more reflective of what each of us finds offensive. Maybe not such a great conversation starter  :P Personally, mine would end up being films that insisted on validating a specific ideology like American Sniper, and then also films with piss poor minority/gender representations.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
and then also films with piss poor minority/gender representations.

Lol for some reason ELYSIUM made me feel like Mexicans have no chance, except for the great white hope. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"