Author Topic: The Dance of Reality (new Jodorowsky!)  (Read 1066 times)

dh374

The Dance of Reality (new Jodorowsky!)
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
Some thought it would never happen, but there's a new Alejandro Jodorowsky film out, in (select) theaters. No sure where else it's available, but it's playing in one theater near Boston. The arthouse crowd (mostly hipsters and older folk) clapped voraciously at the end credits.

Imo it was certainly classic Jodorowsky. The 80-something y.o. hasn't missed a beat since his last feature 23 years ago. It's very autobio-y, and the surrealism is hit-or-miss. My favorite throwaway scene was a priest walking by a beggar and silently leaving a tarantula in his hands.  But the hits are unforgettable and wholly original. I expected one weird ass movie, but the most shocking scenes were even almost too much. This is a spoilers thread, but I don't even want to get into it. Not a film for the squeamish about sex. However, it was too much shock only for shock value, the allegorical imagery and magical realism tones are fairly basic. Not on the same pinnacle as El Topo or the Holy Mountain, but it's as good as Santa Sangre. Go see in theaters! If only to say you have seen a new Jodorowsky feature on the big screen.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:20:16 AM by dh374 »

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: The Dance of Reality (new Jodorowsky!)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »
One of my favorite films of the year. Just loved it.

love