Author Topic: HBO's The Leftovers  (Read 9534 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
HBO's The Leftovers
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
I'm enthusiastic about this one though I've not seen one minute of it. Premieres Sunday night.
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: HBO's The Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »
I watched the first episode and it's very intriguing. 

The following is established within the first few minutes and implied in the title so not really a spoiler: Basically, there are three groups of humans (so far).   The ones who were taken in the Departure, the ones left behind, and the Guilty Remnant.  The story is told through a family who lost no one, but still lost each other due to the Departure.

It's really fascinating.
Texan Down Under

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
Yup, I will watch the crap outta this. Liked the pilot a good deal (though I'm sad there was no pun on the concept of a pilot, like in Lost). Seems like a more obviously character focused mystery show, so hopefully people will, you know, pay attention to that aspect as well as the WTF stuff. That's not to say that the WTF stuff didn't work, of course, and I loved the end of the episode as it points towards some of that stuff while maintaining a focus on who this guy is. Also loved the end of the parade scene, really well done and scary.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:05:03 AM »
So, how did you like the statue because I gasped when I saw it?  How could anyone think this was a fitting memorial?
Texan Down Under

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:56:05 AM »
The whole scene at the beginning where everybody is taken was kind of underwhelming.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
I've seen the pilot twice now and I'm pretty crazy about it.

With Lindelof's Lost I kind of didn't want to try and predict what was coming or read too much into it, but with this show... as I was watching it I was picking apart every little thing from the idea of kids praying in school to the deer dream. I loved it.

Theroux's performance was incredible and quite understated I felt for a character that has quite a few outburts in the course of the episode. He manages to make Kevin seem like he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders and the performance makes me think of how Matthew Fox portrayed Jack on Lost.

Max Richter's themes are up there with what Abel Korzeniowski is doing on Penny Dreadful right now.

Yeah. I'm really into this. Kudos to everyone involved. What a pilot.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »
I was a little disappointed in the second episode that the police chief's bagel hadn't actually been raptured.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »
After not loving the second episode, they totally knocked it out of the park with the third. I'm really hoping that's not all we see of Janel Moloney, talk about underutilized so far!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:53:14 AM »
After not loving the second episode, they totally knocked it out of the park with the third. I'm really hoping that's not all we see of Janel Moloney, talk about underutilized so far!

This episode had me rolling, Spoils of Babylon territory.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »
Wait, what? Thought TSoB wasn't very good, and is also a comedy. However, this episode was easily the best one so far and (while I probably would have seen the season out to the end anyway) definitely has me excited to watch more. I just hope they continue to be character focused rather than jumping around now that the universe is sort of set up for us.