love

Author Topic: Highlights of the Board: Questions For Members New and Old  (Read 71094 times)

MrAlfredKralik

Re: Highlights of the Board: Questions For Members New and Old
« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
1. Who is your favorite movie director working today?
Denis Villeneuve

2. Who is the greatest movie director of All Time and what is the worst movie by them you've seen?
Maybe Billy Wilder, since I like that era. Tarantino would be up there, but he doesn’t have the volume of films I think I would need to see. Worst Wilder film? I don’t know, I guess I like them all. I haven’t seen all his later ones though so…

3. Who is the greatest living movie Actor and Actress?
Actor: Brad Pitt because he can really do different genres and, for an actor of his standing, he takes bigger risks than he needs to.

Actress: Maybe Julia Robert, for the same reasons as Pitt. There is a lot of recent competition  for this one and I can’t really settle on one, lol.

4. Who is the greatest movie Actor and Actress of all time?

Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Actress: Audrey Hepburn.

5. What is your favorite Overlooked Film?

Fish Story (Japan)

6. What film in your Top 100 gives your list personal charm?

7. What is your favorite TV Show of All Time?

Patriot

8. Would you rather own the Complete Box Set for Mad Men, Lost, Breaking Bad or Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Lost

9. Which year of cinema was better, 1957 or 1974?

10. Which is better Goodfellas or Magnolia?

Magnolia

11. Die Hard or Back to the Future?

Die Hard

12. Name one film you're ashamed to admit you still haven't watched.

Jaws

13. Name both your Man Crush and your Woman Crush.

15. Give the following films a grade/rating (whatever scale you prefer):
The Dark Knight - B+
Eraserhead - C-
Inception - B
Inglourious Basterds - B+
A Serious Man - B
Skyfall - B-
Tree of Life - not seen
Watchmen - B

16. Give the following directors a grade/rating (whatever scale you prefer):
Woody Allen - C
Wes Anderson - B+
John Ford – B
Werner Herzog - can’t say
Yasujirō Ozu - can’t say
Steven Soderbergh - B+
Steven Spielberg -  B+
Quentin Tarantino - A
Johnnie To - can’t say
Lars von Trier - C

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #331 on: November 01, 2021, 09:17:58 PM »

Die Hard

Welcome to the forum… please proceed to the following link and help bring balance back to this world:

http://forum.filmspotting.net/index.php?topic=4006.810

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2021, 05:31:01 AM »
Welcome MrAlfredKralik. So do you see yourself ever watching Jaws or will it likely remain an unwatched film?

MrAlfredKralik

« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »

Die Hard

Welcome to the forum… please proceed to the following link and help bring balance back to this world:

http://forum.filmspotting.net/index.php?topic=4006.810

Done!

MrAlfredKralik

« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »
Welcome MrAlfredKralik. So do you see yourself ever watching Jaws or will it likely remain an unwatched film?

I won’t go out of my way to see it, so the chances are low!

I do remember my parents taking me to see Jaws 3D in the theater. I also recall removing the glasses and wondering when it would be over!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »
Done!

Hi Mr.AK, how did you find the forums? We don't see too many new faces these days, though we are a welcoming bunch. :)

MrAlfredKralik

« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2021, 08:46:15 AM »
Done!

Hi Mr.AK, how did you find the forums? We don't see too many new faces these days, though we are a welcoming bunch. :)

I have been a fan of the podcast for a very long time. I was unaware that these forums even existed until a google search for for “something+filmspotting” brought it up.

(I don’t even recall what the “something” was!)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
Done!

I have been a fan of the podcast for a very long time. I was unaware that these forums even existed until a google search for for “something+filmspotting” brought it up.

I believe it. We're a bit of a funny appendage to the show these days. Before other social media platforms took over this forum was THE space to interact with the hosts and discuss the show. People arranged meetups, followed the marathons, participated in the top 5 of the week, etc. 

That's not so much the case anymore, as is to be expected with the show growing larger, and the rise of newer more popular platforms, and forums being somewhat antiquated. Nevertheless the forum lives on. :) It has taken on a life on it's own now. You'll still find avid listeners of the show here, and sporadic listeners and former listeners as well. But the day to day discussion and activity is fueled largely by our own personal film watching experiences, and not so much (or at all) in reaction to what was discussed on the lastest filmspotting episode. Mostly people are doing and watching their own thing here, and the vibe is laid back. It's a smallish community so unlike a lot of places where you might discuss films, you'll actually encounter the same person here more than once. :))

Like I said though, it's rare for a new face to show up. It's like those scenes in westerns when some cowboy from far away shows up in a saloon of a quiet frontier town, and everyone turns and looks who just walked in. I think we're more welcoming than that though :))

MrAlfredKralik

« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »
Done!

I believe it. We're a bit of a funny appendage to the show these days. Before other social media platforms took over this forum was THE space to interact with the hosts and discuss the show. People arranged meetups, followed the marathons, participated in the top 5 of the week, etc. 

That's not so much the case anymore, as is to be expected with the show growing larger, and the rise of newer more popular platforms, and forums being somewhat antiquated. Nevertheless the forum lives on. :) It has taken on a life on it's own now. You'll still find avid listeners of the show here, and sporadic listeners and former listeners as well. But the day to day discussion and activity is fueled largely by our own personal film watching experiences, and not so much (or at all) in reaction to what was discussed on the lastest filmspotting episode. Mostly people are doing and watching their own thing here, and the vibe is laid back. It's a smallish community so unlike a lot of places where you might discuss films, you'll actually encounter the same person here more than once. :))

Like I said though, it's rare for a new face to show up. It's like those scenes in westerns when some cowboy from far away shows up in a saloon of a quiet frontier town, and everyone turns and looks who just walked in. I think we're more welcoming than that though :))

This all sounds perfectly fine to me. The next round is on me!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2021, 11:47:14 AM »