Author Topic: Belle  (Read 448 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Belle
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:51:40 PM »
The evidence was discovered 2/3rds of the way through the film, then conveyed to one person, then disclosed again to another and sure enough, the court sits in awe as the music swells and swells, while the evidence is articulated with the greatest of reverence. The audience won't remember that evidence, so will be just as in awe and weeping in relief at the discovery. Shoot me now.

I think the drama of the court decision came in that he had a perfect opportunity for a half measure, and it seems like he will pursue it. But then he takes the full leap. The evidence in some ways is misdirection because it gives perfect excuse to take the middle approach. It is his bond with Dido, an aspect that is somewhat more in doubt, that pushes him the full way. Maybe this is just more unbearable mushiness for me to eat up, but this resounding personal affirmation was effective for me.

On the other hand, I consider any review of Belle that lacks the word intersectionality invalid. *snob* 8)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Belle
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
 :D

I really love Tom Wilkinson and felt like he of all people was able to bring that aspect into play. Unfortunately by that point in the movie, all I was hearing was blah, blah, blah, ports, blah, blah, blah, water, blah, blah, blah, jettison... I had emotionally checked out long before. I'm glad it worked for you though. Maybe I'm the snob. I'm very particular about my costume dramas. :)
"I'm a new day rising."