Author Topic: FYC 2014: Best Surprise  (Read 4413 times)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
FYC 2014: Best Surprise
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
Please post the surprise films yr considering (and you would like yr fellow filmspotter to consider) for the 2014 Filmspots here and check this list before nominating.  When posting if you could add some detail as to why your particular selection came as a surprise it may help other evaluate it as well.

Any relevant questions whose answers may benefit everyone will also be added to this post... with said answers, obviously.

Note: Films that earn nominations in certain major award categories (Picture, Ensemble Cast, Animated Film, Documentary, and Debut Feature) will become ineligible for the Surprise category.

What is the Surprise category?

It's a chance to honor films that, even though they might not be Top 5 of the year material, still exceeded expectations — or came totally out of left field — and were, as the name implies, a pleasant surprise. Previous winners include 21 Jump Street, Warrior, 17 Again, Chop Shop, and Once, which beat out nominees such as Dredd, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Cedar Rapids, Humpday, Paranormal Activity, Redbelt, Mister Lonely, This is England, and Enchanted.

Note: Films blue are those with multiple mentions.

SURPRISE
22 Jump Street
Bad Words
Bird People
Blue Ruin
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Drop
Edge of Tomorrow
Fury
Godzilla
Goodbye to Language 3D
Guardians of the Galaxy
Hector and the Search for Happiness
John Wick
The Judge
The Lego Movie
Miss Meadows
Muppets Most Wanted
Noah
RoboCop
This Is Where I Leave You
Was I Was Here
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:34:05 AM by pixote »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: FYC 2014: Best Surprise
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
The list of films beaten out is far superior to the list of winners. Anyone disagree cos 21 Jump Street, Chop Shop & Once are not very good? They look silly next to Dredd, Cedar Rapids, Redbelt and This Is England.

Oh yeah and I dislike Once for pretty much the same reason as I dislike 500 Days of Summer, but I switched it off  after slightly longer. The word for both is "mewl".
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »
I admit that I still have absolutely no desire to see 21 Jump Street or its sequel.  I've seen that movie before (I had HBO in the 80s), and I've seen Jonah Hill be Jonah Hill before.

I don't seek out too many movies that I believe (from the previews) will be C or C+ films.  If I do, I cannot think of the last time such a film ended up being an A or A- film; rather, if it's a pleasant surprise, it's more like a B or B+.  (This year, Bad Words would be an example.).  It's hard to be invested in the outcome of this category.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
The list of films beaten out is far superior to the list of winners. Anyone disagree cos 21 Jump Street, Chop Shop & Once are not very good? They look silly next to Dredd, Cedar Rapids, Redbelt and This Is England.

Oh yeah and I dislike Once for pretty much the same reason as I dislike 500 Days of Summer, but I switched it off  after slightly longer. The word for both is "mewl".

Chop Shop is okay.  Once is one of my favorites.  Haven't seen any of the others, though.

I was not fond of 500 Days of Summer either.  Once is a different brand of twee.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »
Ok forget mewl. How about simper?  :P

Flippin eck you'll be saying you like In The Mood For Love next. Now that's more fey than anything else.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
I can't tell if verbALs is joking.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
Blue Ruin
Robocop

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
Flippin eck you'll be saying you like In The Mood For Love next. Now that's more fey than anything else.

Unless that anything else is torpor, then that would be more.

Totoro

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
Comedy sequels always fail is the usual undeniable assumption. However, this year...

FYC
22 Jump Street
Muppets Most Wanted

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
For me, Once and Warrior are the two best films ever to be nominated in this category; and – surprise – they both won. :-)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love